The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Weighted decline target question

For some reason, when I do weighted decline situps, the only portion of my abs that seems to get hit hard is the lower area-- just above my pelvis. Is this right? Is there something wrong with my form?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No there is nothing wrong with your form. Doing them in different ways will hit different areas of your abs. My guess is you are keeping your back relatively straight and reaching for the ceiling when you come up. Try curling your back up... Imagine bringing one vertebrae off the bench at a time and continuing to curl up like that. That should hit your upper abs a bit more
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

If its hitting your abs its hitting your abs really. you can just be working the lower part as a muscle doesnt really work like that. it could possibly be your technique as i find doing some ab exercises puts alot of pressure on the area u have stated
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    No there is nothing wrong with your form. Doing them in different ways will hit different areas of your abs. My guess is you are keeping your back relatively straight and reaching for the ceiling when you come up. Try curling your back up... Imagine bringing one vertebrae off the bench at a time and continuing to curl up like that. That should hit your upper abs a bit more
    This is pretty much completely wrong.

What you are feeling and what you are working are not necessarily related. You are working your abs - all of them. Just focus on progression.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    This is pretty much completely wrong.

What you are feeling and what you are working are not necessarily related. You are working your abs - all of them. Just focus on progression.
    How so? Please do explain?
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Sure. The rectus abdminus doesn't have multiple innervation, nor does it have multiple insertion/origin points. So it contracts as a unit. You can not isolate your upper/lower abs.

What he's feeling is probably referred pain from his hip flexors, which is pretty common, and what most people are feeling when they think they feel it in their 'lower abs'.

Your form suggestion was fine.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Furthermore, situps strongly target hip flexors. The abs are primarily used isometrically to stabilize the upperbody, like they are for most exercises.

Try Janda situps to eliminate the use of the flexors.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Sure. The rectus abdminus doesn't have multiple innervation, nor does it have multiple insertion/origin points. So it contracts as a unit. You can not isolate your upper/lower abs.

What he's feeling is probably referred pain from his hip flexors, which is pretty common, and what most people are feeling when they think they feel it in their 'lower abs'.

Your form suggestion was fine.
    Gotcha... I thought you were saying the way I suggested doing them was wrong.

I guess that makes sense also as far as your abs contracting as a single unit. But why is it so hard (for me anyway) to build and define my lower abdominal area?
    Full Powerlifting

It's probably a function of water retention and bodyfat, not the muscle.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

It's probably a function of water retention and bodyfat, not the muscle.
    Well, I'm on a bulk right now so I can't really see any abs.. But even over the summer when I was around 10% BF I still didn't have much for lower abs... But I guess it doesn't matter... When I do a cut I'll let you know how they look :P
    Full Powerlifting

Thanks for the responses.
    Paul, I thought that was the case, but was just wondering why I felt it primarily in one spot. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Well, I'm on a bulk right now so I can't really see any abs.. But even over the summer when I was around 10% BF I still didn't have much for lower abs... But I guess it doesn't matter... When I do a cut I'll let you know how they look :P
    I know you don't want to hear this but 10% isn't low enough for you then, there is still a decent amount of fat over the lower abs. I've dealt with the same thing, gave up, and decided to just start a bulk. A very large proportion of my bodyfat gets put down in my belly so basically I have to get to a lower overall bodyfat to be able to see the lower abs.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Direct ab work is almost pointless. Your abs are made to contract with other muscles(primarily hip flexors and core muscles) to stabilize your trunk. There is little point in isolating the rectus abdominus muscle as you can only use that strength if the hip flexors and other core muscles are strong as well.

The best way to train your abs is to train your whole body with exercises done on your feet - standing overhead press, bent over rows, squats, deadlifts, etc. If you are already doing those exercises and want more core stimulation, you should either do pulldown abs(ala Westside) or weighted leg raises, as both allow for a great deal of progressive resistance, range of motion, and bring the hipflexors and core muscles into play(although pulldown crunches tend to 'isolate' the rectus abdominus more effectively).
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 11-29-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat