The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    I am going to get that book by Pavel.
    Let me know what you think of it. I'm still considering it, but can't make up my mind whether to get it or just buy a new bench shirt...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have all Pavel's books. I just havent gotten around to reading any of them yet.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours
    Arnold's book is great, and is a must read for anyone even thinking about bodybuilding. .

Only if you had his genes and steroids and even then you'd probably still make better progress on a routine similar to the WBB ones.

A good amount of the information in that book (I leafed through it at a bookstore not long ago) is either flat out nonsense or not applicable to a natural.

I'd go with the Stuart McRobert books or John McCallum myself.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-15-2006 at 05:42 AM.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Im not a big fan of books, i usually dont have time for them. I like to stick with muscle and fitness magazines. I love them. They have great diet, and workout information. I just picked up aprils issue. The only downside is that like all bodybuilding magazines its riddled with advertisements. For $6 bucks at borders, i think thats a steal for how much info. it contains.

-jordan
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Man magazines blow! they are all trying to sell you something. I have given up on magazines a long time ago.

IMO books are better because you have the info right there. You don't have to wait for next months issue of "top ten mass secrets finally revealed" such crap!

If you get good books on the subject then you are better off. Stay with proven coaches and authors. Not bodybuilding steroid freaks telling you do endless sets of curls and kickbacks.

I have never seen a magazine tell their readers to do good mornings. Or how about power cleans, or power snatch. Just the dorky movements that look good in the mirror and do nothing to increase your functional capacity of strength!
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    Man magazines blow! they are all trying to sell you something. I have given up on magazines a long time ago.

IMO books are better because you have the info right there. You don't have to wait for next months issue of "top ten mass secrets finally revealed" such crap!

If you get good books on the subject then you are better off. Stay with proven coaches and authors. Not bodybuilding steroid freaks telling you do endless sets of curls and kickbacks.

I have never seen a magazine tell their readers to do good mornings. Or how about power cleans, or power snatch. Just the dorky movements that look good in the mirror and do nothing to increase your functional capacity of strength!
    I dunno dude. I'd think alot of people on this site would agree that muscle and fitness is one of the ONLY good magazines out there with informative information, and down to earth excersizes. Pick up a copy, if your still skeptical. I'll give you some examples.

In the march magazine they give you a bulking and cutting diet for an 180 pound bodybuilder with ALL the macros, and calories worked out to the gram.

They also give you unique (natural) supplement stacks for hardgainers, people wanting to cut, and someone just trying to preserve their muscle mass.

I've learned how to properly do tons of excersizes to grow a wide back, stronger core and better biceps.

Anyways, the information i've learned from that one magazine pays for itself 10 fold. Im no spokesman for the magazine or anything i just love it. Im thinking about writing them a letter.

I will agree though that books are much better simply because they dont have any advertisements. You just have to know which ones have a biased opinion and which ones are actual truthful advice (i.e. brand named supplements are biases usually). The information goes hand in hand with things i've learned on this site to, so its not rubbish.

Although that one physical magazine about over-training your abs was BS...I got blasted for posting that a while ago lol

-jordan
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-15-2006 at 08:07 AM.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Srawny to Brawny is a good book for someone wanting to pack on some muscle. It's written by Dr John Berardi.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Only if you had his genes and steroids and even then you'd probably still make better progress on a routine similar to the WBB ones.

A good amount of the information in that book (I leafed through it at a bookstore not long ago) is either flat out nonsense or not applicable to a natural.

I'd go with the Stuart McRobert books or John McCallum myself.
    Arnold's programs suck, as does alot of his training info. The diet and contest stuff in his book is good though, as is the general bodybuilding/lifting info. Very inspirational in my opinion.

Another good one is 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik - http://www.brookskubik.com
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 03-15-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    I dunno dude. I'd think alot of people on this site would agree that muscle and fitness is one of the ONLY good magazines out there with informative information, and down to earth excersizes. Pick up a copy, if your still skeptical.
    Just about everyone who's been around a while (at least a few years) will tell that the bodybuilding mags are advertisements that you are paying for. Yes, they occasionally have a few nutritional tidbits that are worthwhile, but that is about it.

I'll give you some examples.

In the march magazine they give you a bulking and cutting diet for an 180 pound bodybuilder with ALL the macros, and calories worked out to the gram.
    That's great... if you're 180 pounds...

They also give you unique (natural) supplement stacks for hardgainers, people wanting to cut, and someone just trying to preserve their muscle mass.
    You paid money to read their advertisements disguised as information...

I will agree though that books are much better simply because they dont have any advertisements. You just have to know which ones have a biased opinion and which ones are actual truthful advice (i.e. brand named supplements are biases usually). The information goes hand in hand with things i've learned on this site to, so its not rubbish.
    Some magazines have good writers, of course.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Just about everyone who's been around a while (at least a few years) will tell that the bodybuilding mags are advertisements that you are paying for. Yes, they occasionally have a few nutritional tidbits that are worthwhile, but that is about it.

That's great... if you're 180 pounds...

You paid money to read their advertisements disguised as information...

Some magazines have good writers, of course.
    I couldn't have said it better. Again I have read tons of mags on the subject. It is just recycled information. Mags offer tidbits and books give you the whole meal. Here read this article http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=211 it pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

^^^ I love the 6pg spread for Hydroxy cut.

I would say any A&P book but there mostly textbooks so there full of info but not so good of a read.

Most books are good but most are outdated. I like online articles and forums for the best info. Think about it, what book has this much information and if you're confused what book can you ask for clarification
    ?

Arnolds book is good for pictures and what lifts work which muscles and so on. The workouts are way outdated and a good way to overtrain.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff
    ^^^ I love the 6pg spread for Hydroxy cut.

I would say any A&P book but there mostly textbooks so there full of info but not so good of a read.

Most books are good but most are outdated. I like online articles and forums for the best info. Think about it, what book has this much information and if you're confused what book can you ask for clarification
    ?

Arnolds book is good for pictures and what lifts work which muscles and so on. The workouts are way outdated and a good way to overtrain.
    I cant stand the 8 page ads for muscletech products. Usually i rip out the ads so i dont waste my time shifting through them.

Im never buying a cell tech, nitro-tech, or hydroxycut or any other muscletech product for the rest of my life. There should be a limit as to how many times they can try and push cell tech on you in one magazine.

-jordan
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

they pay the magazines tons of money, we'll never see the end of those ads.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle