Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traps

Traps

I really need to get my traps up to par, any suggestions?
    Last edited by FOGLE1; 03-04-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Power cleans, dumbbell snatch, power shrugs with heavy ass weight.

Thanks man, I do the shrugs, Ill throw the cleans into my lifts

The best overall trap builders are olympic lifts and rows by far
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    Oh definitely olympic lifts, my traps are going to grow like crazy now that i have included them
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Deadlifts, Deadlifts and some more deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Deadlifts, Deadlifts and some more deadlifts.
    :withstupi

deads for sure
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I agree that deads and rows hit the traps hard. In fact that's all I do for traps, but I do think they are lagging. I think direct trap work is not necessarily a bad idea.

I would like to start doing O-lifts but I have noone to show me the proper form and I really don't want to hurt myself.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

not trying to steel the thread but i have started to do a static hold of weight.
    What i do is pick up a really heavy weight and just hold it with my hands. In the shoulder shrug position but without the shrug. I just hold it like it for as long as possible.
    What muscles is this hitting? (i know it hits the forearms cuz i can bloody feel it lol) and is it useful?
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by goodwinner
    not trying to steel the thread but i have started to do a static hold of weight.
    What i do is pick up a really heavy weight and just hold it with my hands. In the shoulder shrug position but without the shrug. I just hold it like it for as long as possible.
    What muscles is this hitting? (i know it hits the forearms cuz i can bloody feel it lol) and is it useful?
    You answered it yourself basically it's one of a static hold exercise to train your grip strength. Therefore a stronger grip allows you to lift heavier/more reps (pulling movements like rows, deads, shrug) and/or rely less on straps

BTW another great exercise to build the traps are behind the back shrugs. My fav combo is to do 3-4 sets of it, followed by another 3-4 sets of regular barbell or DB shrugs. Been working great for me so far. One thing I noticed with Shrugs however, is that it is most likely the exercise that let you handle the most weight beside calve raises, thus I've seen aplenty of egoistic guys put up a ****load of weight while doing barbell shrugs but they tend to 'miss' the target by going way too fast and low. Be generous with the weight, but good form and feel is a must..

Quote Originally Posted by Vsire
    You answered it yourself basically it's one of a static hold exercise to train your grip strength. Therefore a stronger grip allows you to lift heavier/more reps (pulling movements like rows, deads, shrug) and/or rely less on straps

BTW another great exercise to build the traps are behind the back shrugs. My fav combo is to do 3-4 sets of it, followed by another 3-4 sets of regular barbell or DB shrugs. Been working great for me so far. One thing I noticed with Shrugs however, is that it is most likely the exercise that let you handle the most weight beside calve raises, thus I've seen aplenty of egoistic guys put up a ****load of weight while doing barbell shrugs but they tend to 'miss' the target by going way too fast and low. Be generous with the weight, but good form and feel is a must..
    thanks for the input :-)
    Yes. Im very much one for good form. And in the long run a person with good form will come out on top and without injury.
    but having good form doesnt stop me from using heavy weights hehe. a little strain is needed to keep the muscle strong and also to give me a challenge.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

I like bb shrugs for traps and deads as every1 else has said. Make sure you are eating enough or nothing will grow
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by FOGLE1
    I really need to get my traps up to par, any suggestions?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155
    try this book. I have it and it explains how to do all kinds of exercises to work the traps from all different angles. There are exercises in here that I have never heard of and or seen. Very good book!
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

that looks like a good read, i'm going to order it
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

lol you dont need to purchase a book to know how to get good traps... i recently started doing DB shrugs really heavy weights and my traps are definatly growing.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    lol you dont need to purchase a book to know how to get good traps... i recently started doing DB shrugs really heavy weights and my traps are definatly growing.
    the point of the book is that there is more than just a standing shrug. How about the bench shrug? or the lat shrug? or the incline shrug?
    The bench shrug is a movement opposite the bench press to help out your bench press.

I used to think that there was only standing or seated dumbell or barbell shrugs. Not anymore.
    Last edited by kingkrs; 03-05-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    that looks like a good read, i'm going to order it
    yeah for ten bucks you can't go wrong. It's also a nice addition to the library.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkrs
    the point of the book is that there is more than just a standing shrug. How about the bench shrug? or the lat shrug? or the incline shrug?
    The bench shrug is a movement opposite the bench press to help out your bench press.

I used to think that there was only standing or seated dumbell or barbell shrugs. Not anymore.
    Why do you feel the need to try out all these types of shrugs? Would you say your traps lack development?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    I'm sure your traps are amazing enough to tell him not to advise a very good book for anyone interested in developing that part of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy's Stats
    17 years old as of 11/4/05
    5'10
    145 pds
    5% bodyfat
    lifting for real since June 05
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I would stick to compound lifts and not focus on too much direct trap work, cleans deadlifts and rows hit them very good and will give just as much devolopment as workin em alone. Jonnie Jackson doesnt do any direct trap work and hes got a monsterous neck

Compound work stimulates growth in my traps/upper back. Do heavy deads and heavy rows for teh neck.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    I would stick to compound lifts and not focus on too much direct trap work, cleans deadlifts and rows hit them very good and will give just as much devolopment as workin em alone. Jonnie Jackson doesnt do any direct trap work and hes got a monsterous neck
    he is also on steriods.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Why do you feel the need to try out all these types of shrugs? Would you say your traps lack development?
    No, I am just a student of the lifting game. I like to hear and read all perspectives to have a broader overall view, then I can determine what I want to try out and see what works for me and what doesn't.

Besides, the traps do more than help with heavy pulls from the floor. Pressing movements benefit from a strong trapezius.
    Last edited by kingkrs; 03-05-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I'm sure your traps are amazing enough to tell him not to advise a very good book for anyone interested in developing that part of the body.
    i never told him to not buy the book... I asked why would you?

can you read?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1