The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dips: is it possible I'm not hitting my chest?

I do "chest dips" as part of my routine. However, I don't feel like I'm hitting my chest. I feel like my tris are doing all the work.

The piece of equipment I'm using doesn't have adhustable handles, so I don't have options regarding hand placement. I keep my hands in line with my hips, flare my elbows, and lean forward. However, as I said, I'm just not feeling it in my chest.

Is it possible that my chest is being hit, but I just feel it in my tris, because it is the smaller muscle of the two? Thanks.

Greg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I feel it more in my triceps too. But I know that it does hit my chest too. I feel bench presses a lot in my tris too. It's probably because my tris are weaker in comparison.

How wide is the grip on the machine? A wider grip hits your chest more. I know you can't adjust but if the grip is too narrow you are hitting your tris more anyway!

Are u sure ur going low enough? when u get to the bottom of a dip most people feel a great "stretch" of the pecs at the bottom, and in order to get out of that state, u gotta contract ur chest hella hard.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

try keeping your elbows well out. stick your chest forward, head back and try and really use ure chest for the lift. see if that works however i find it easier when you can adjust were your hands are so you can do wide dips which are more for chest
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

oh and try keeping ur feet crossed behind u, it helps u lean forward more.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by HILL
    try keeping your elbows well out. stick your chest forward, head back and try and really use ure chest for the lift. see if that works however i find it easier when you can adjust were your hands are so you can do wide dips which are more for chest
    You want to keep your head forward/down. If you keep your head back, you will be more upright and place the emphasis on your tris more - keep the head forward, and like Bohizzle suggested keep your feet crossed behind you.

How tall are you? I find that leaning forward during dips is very hard since im 6'4".....my legs are very bulky and i end up straight up and down almost every time after a few reps. Ive replaced dips in my routine with Heavy decline dumbell presses for this reason.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

yeah lean your upperbody forward to shift the emphasis to the chest. What i used to do was to have my friend hold my legs back and do dip. just make sure you communicate before hand and figure out your exit strategy or the fall will be painful.

To answer a few of the questions:

-the machine is set up so that the grip is about maybe 6" from my waist (at most)
    -I'm pretty confident I'm going low enough. I'm at the point where, if I went any lower, I'd probably be placing a dangerous amout of torque on my shoulders.
    -I'm 6' 0"

Thanks for all the good info. I'll try to attack my dips (next time) with some of these comments in mind.

Greg

You don't need to go lower to emphasize your chest.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Do Flys to hit ur chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiznarles
    Do Flys to hit ur chest.
    Dips are vastly superior to flyes.

Also, I don't think it's possible to do dips without hitting your chest, no. I suppose I could be mistaken though.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

No Information Provided
    I felt the same way as you until I really started concentrating on putting my head down and leaning forward. I've found I can push a lot more weight using this form as well.

Try to dig your chin into your chest when you're doing them. It helps you to lean forward and target the chest more.

And flyes SUCK unless you're doing them with cables.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Dips are vastly superior to flyes.

Also, I don't think it's possible to do dips without hitting your chest, no. I suppose I could be mistaken though.
    dips hit the chest better than any other chest exercise combined for me. after 3 sets of dips my chest feels like it's ready to explode. yeah i really don't think it's possible to do dips without feeling some of the effort in your chest. even when i do parallel dips for tris, my chest still gets a decent pump.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    well i try to do at least 4 different exercises when I'm targeting a muscle.. so for a chest day i'd do something like, barbell flat bench, dumbbell incline bench, cables, and dips.. the dips may not hit the chest as much as some other exercises but you're still definitely working the chest.. it might not feel the pump as much because your triceps feel so pumped afterwards.

sometimes i do isolation cables (one pec at a time) to really get a nice chest pump.