The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80

Thread: I have gas.

  1. #1
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467

    I have gas.

    Ok, I started a journal a while back but lost track for some reason... I'm starting over. In my signature you can find a link to my fitday journal to see my eating habbits if you'd like.

    Thursday - Legs
    Smith Squat - 80x12, 130x12, 200x6, 200x6
    Hack Squat - 240x8, 250x7, 250x5
    Leg Curls (done very slowly) - 75x9, 90x6, 90x5
    Standing Calve Raises - 135x10, 135x10, 135x10

    Comments
    I'm using the smith machine for squats because I don't have to use both arms/hands to steady the bar. My right shoulder will dislocate if I try to squat and steady a bar with my arm in that position. I know this sounds crazy, but it's happened already. I have to get surgery. However, for now, I'm squatting on the smith and keeping my right arm immobolized by crossing it over my chest. However, I can still feel how weak it is when I squat. It's rather scary. You really don't have any idea how a squat can put pressure on your whole body until you feel a loose and easily dislocated shoulder squirm from the pressure. Before anyone asks, no I'm not sitting the bar directly on the shoulder. It's resting across my traps. However, it still feels bad. But, I want to squat... shoulder dislocation or not. I'll get surgery on it as soon as I get to a weight I'm happy with.

    For standing calve raises, I'm noticing that my right leg gets most of the workout for some reason. No matter how hard I try to focus the weight on both legs, I feel more burn and use in my right calve. Is there a way to isolate this? Maybe an exercise that works one calve at a time or any special tricks to make sure both calve muscles are getting equal time on the standing calve raise?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Still Plugging Away -TIM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,590
    I have gas too. I wouldn't worry about feeling the burn in one calf over the other, unless the one is growing noticably larger than the other. Not feeling a burn, or soreness, doesn't mean the other calf isn't being worked.

    But if you would like to work one calf at a time, then there are a number of ways to do so. You can do seated or standing with one leg. You'll have to drop the weight significantly, and I'd still keep the non-working leg in position, just for balance, and keep it limp. Or you can do single calf raises in the sled press. You can also do standing one leg raises on a platform holding a DB. Use the free hand to stabalize yourself on a bench or piece of equipment at an adequate height. Hope those descriptions make sense .
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

    Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

  4. #3
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Thanks Tim.
    Yeah, they make sense. I just tried the one legged standing calve raise a few different ways and it just never felt comfortable or in good form... I guess I'd have to get used to it.

  5. #4
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Saturday - Arms

    Shoulders
    External Rotation (Warmup) - 20x12, 20x12
    Seated DB Shoulder Press - 45x8, 50x6, 50x6
    Lateral Raises - 20x10, 20x10
    Forward Raises - 20x9, 20x9

    Triceps
    Skull Crushers - 40x15, 70x11, 75x7 (Need to go up)
    Arm Extensions - 90x7, 90x6

    Biceps
    BB Curls - 65x12, 75x8.5, 75x7
    Preacher Curls - (L)30x8 (R)30x6, (L)35x6, (R)35x6 (Last two were assisted on right arm)

    Comments
    I'm trying to go up in weight on biceps... It's very hard. However, I'm forcing more weight on there because I feel like I've been at a plateu for the longest time.

    Saturday's are the worst days for gym etiquette. I think at my gym you get a lot of people that just wake up and say "Hmm, I think I'll hit the gym and get buff."

    First of all, there were these two older men that were walking around and thought they were just all that and a bottle of vodka. You had a severly out of shape man trying to tell a somewhat inshape man what to do and how to do it. Not only was he telling him how to do cable flies incorrectly, he was making an ass out of himself. Now, the reason I don't like these men is because they were all up in my space while I was doing DB presses. The cable machine was next to me, but you had this fat dude standing in front of the other guy yelling at him "SQUEEZE! SQUEEZE!" and in order to do this he has to stand with one foot in front of the other and his rear foot was all in my area. I had to make sure I didn't drop the weights on his foot in other words. After he was done yelling at his partner, he would slap him on the shoulders and such while the other guy walked around squeezing his fists together with a "I can kick you ass!" look on his face. During rest periods, the out of shape one couldn't stand still. He was walking back and forth telling the other guy all about how to work out. These people just irk me for some reason... I can understand getting pumped, but these guys were just showing off.

    Secondly, we had this guy that just broke the patience. I usually get in the gym, do my thing, get out. I don't talk to anyone and don't care about etiquette, but every bench this guy went to, he'd leave his massive pile of sweat all over the bench. I saw him do it on one bench. Then he came to the incline bench next to me. I said to myself "Ok, if he does that again, I'm just going to go off." Yeah, he did. This guy was REALLY sweating too. He even put his DB's up and walked to the bench, stared at his sweat on the bench, shrugged his shoulders and walked off. So, I put my bar down, walked up to him at the water fountain and said "Dude, are you done on that incline?" He say's "Yep! All yours!" and I said "Well how about you wipe it down next time so I can use it, ok? Thanks man." and he just looked at me like I was an ass and said "Yeah... ok, I can do that." He never came over and wipped it down... He just left.
    Last edited by intargc; 12-03-2005 at 01:46 PM.

  6. #5
    Still Plugging Away -TIM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,590
    What does your split look like? I see a leg day, and an arm/shoulder day. Is back and chest together, or are they seperate, making a 4 day split? If it's a 3 day, then I would suggest a split like this"

    Day 1 - Legs
    Day 2 - Chest/Tris
    Day 3 - Back/Bis

    That might give you the most bang for your buck. Just a suggestion is all .
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 12-03-2005 at 02:51 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

    Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

  7. #6
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    What does your split look like? I see a leg day, and an arm/shoulder day. Is back and chest together, or are they seperate, making a 4 day split? If it's a 3 day, then I would suggest a split like this"

    Day 1 - Legs
    Day 2 - Chest/Tris
    Day 3 - Back/Bis

    That might give you the most bang for your buck. Just a suggestion is all .
    Tim,

    Yes, I just started my journal on my leg day, so I don't have chest up here yet. However, I'm doing the WBB #1 with preacher curls thrown in instead of hammer curls and forward raises thrown in instead of military press and DB Bench instead of BB bench. The reason I've changed it up a bit is because I have already been doing the WBB #1 for about 4 months, so I just threw some changes in on the area where I started to plateau. Everything else I was and still am making improvements on.

  8. #7
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Tuesday - Chest / Back

    Chest
    DB Bench Press - 40x12, 70x8, 70x8
    Incline Bench - 90x12, 155x5, 155x6
    Hammer Iso-Decline - 80x8, 85x6 (each arm)

    Back
    Lat Pulldowns - 100x12 (Warm up)
    Pullups - BWx8, BWx9
    Hammer Iso High Row - 90x7, 90x7 (each arm)
    Deadlift - 90x12, 155x8, 175x8
    Shrugs - 270x10, 280x10

    Abs
    Crunches - 12, 12, 12, 12
    Decline Reverse Crunch - 12, 12, 12, 12

    Comments
    I felt strong today... Although, I'm sure it has a lot to do with changing my diet around and eating better and a lot more.

    I feel I can go up in weight in Deadlift. Probably about 200, but holy crap my hands have a tough time holding onto the weight as is... I'm going to have to invest in some wrist straps!

    I've gone up a lot in DB Bench, but only because before I dislocated my shoulder about a month ago, I was at 75x6. I'm gradually getting back up there. I'm hoping next week I can get back to 75x6 again and then 2 weeks after that at least get up to 80x? My incline increased this week as well. I went down on the Hammer Iso-Decline only because when I was doing 90lbs and arm last week, it was in bad form. The form was much much better today.

    There is this dorky older man that works out when I do. He drives me nuts. His form is absolute sh*t on EVERYTHING he does. When he benches, he thrusts his entire lowerback and butt off of the bench. When he does curls, He uses the EZ Bar and completely throws his back into it on each curl. Not to mention his arms never stay by his sides. I can't express on here how much this guy uses his back on those curls. It's amazing to me. His knee's are bench and he's at a complete curve when he finally gets it up to his face. Yes, face. He moves his arms up quite a bit. So as far as I can tell, his back, legs and shoulders are getting all the work there. I just want to throw a 10lb weight at him sometimes. He just does WAY more than he can handle. he's curling 90lb's and let me tell you, if I were to walk up to him and tell him, stand straight, keep your elbows to your sides and don't move your upper arm! He wouldn't be able to curl anymore than 60lbs.

  9. #8
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    HA! to your avatar.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  10. #9
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Cat's in hoodies rock. So do rabbits with pancakes on their head and unammused ostriches.






  11. #10
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Thursday - Legs
    Smith Squat - 80x12, 210x6, 210x6
    Hack Squat - 250x6, 255x6
    Leg Curl - 60x12, 90x7, 90x6
    Standing Calve Raises - 150x10, 150x10, 150x10

    Comments
    I've had a crappy day today. Work is pissing me off. The people I work with are pretty much just rude. I'm working on a project where I have no idea what's going on and whenever I ask questions, I get short, vague answers and the more questions I ask or the more I ask them to elaborate, the more pissed off they get. So, me, not wanting to cause turmoil in the work place, I go back to my desk, sit at my screen and look at code and try to figure it out for myself. The project is H U G E. So, it's very hard to get anything done without someone kind of pointing it out for you and saying "Ok, start here. Copy this function, change the algorithm a bit, cross your t's and dot your i's." But, that's not happening here it seems. What's even worse is that I'm supposed to be coding for the "security team" on items that have to be updated for security reasons on Monday and I don't even have 1/4 of this project done. I'm stressed out right now. Fortunately, stress helps me in the gym! Notice my small but wonderful increases in todays legs compared to last week!

    I read this posting on a site Built pointed me to. I get so pissed off when I read these because I know they're true. Why do I get pissed off and know they're true? Well, because I can't help but use the damn smith machine for squats!!! As I've stated time and time again, my shoulder dislocates when in the position of balancing a free bar on my traps/shoulders. I've tried positioning my elbows in many different ways to avoid the unstable feeling (the feeling is obvious that the shoulder can pop out. Trust me, it's come out over 15 times now. I'm an absolute expert on what position the shoulder is most vulnerable in.) However, to no avail! So, I squat on the Smith Machine with my right arm crossed over my chest. This is the absolute least vulnerable position for it to pop out. can it still pop out? Yes. However, it's much safer in that position as there is the least stress on the ball/socket when your arms cross over your chest. The smith allows me to keep from having to keep the bar stable with my hands. Ugh... it makes me sick just thinking about having my shoulder come out. P A I N! But, yeah... In a few months, I'll get surgery. Then I'll come back to working out after 6 damn months of being out of the gym. Yes, 6 months. My girlfriend heard how much I pouted and complained about being out of the gym for 1 week. She's scared of 6 months.

    With my luck, my shoulder will still dislocate. Just like my fathers and my friends. They both got surgery and guess what?! Their shoulders come out just as easily even after the surgery. What a waste... From what I've been reading, the actual success rate isn't all that great. Well, not with the arthroscopic surgery anyway. When they actually cut you open and fix that stuff right... The recovery period is MUCH longer, but the success rate is much higher.

  12. #11
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Sunday - Shoulders/Arms

    Shoulders
    External Rotation (Warm-up) - 20x12, 20x12
    Seated DB Shoulder Press - 35x12, 50x7, 50x6
    Lateral Raises - 20x9, 20x8
    Forward Raises - 20x8, 20x8

    Triceps
    Skull Crushers - 45x12, 75x8, 80x7
    Arm Extensions - 90x8, 100x6

    Biceps
    Barbell Curls - 65x12, 80x8, 80x6
    Preacher Curls (Each arm) - 35x7, 35x6

    Comments
    Overall pretty good day. I'm steadily increasing in weight. I'm excited.

  13. #12
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    I remember April teling me about this. She also mentioned you put mass on easily...
    I have a tip for you that all of the other die-hards here that revel in their Omniscience will never tell you.
    Your shoulder is going to limit you.
    work around it.
    If you feel like you absolutely have to do squats; use a manta ray.
    otherwise. Leg press is sufficient.
    Dean are you doing rotatorwork?
    The weights you will start out with are immasculating but it is worth it. I have never had a debilitating shoulder injury since I started doing cuban rotations and external rotations.
    I start every single workout where my shoulder is used with them.


    Also.
    Now that we know that we know each other personally you have become my Guinea pig.
    I am sure that April's and my advice will contradict each other's sometimes but just take from both and use what works.
    __________________
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  14. #13
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    I remember April teling me about this. She also mentioned you put mass on easily...
    I have a tip for you that all of the other die-hards here that revel in their Omniscience will never tell you.
    Your shoulder is going to limit you.
    work around it.
    If you feel like you absolutely have to do squats; use a manta ray.
    otherwise. Leg press is sufficient.
    Dean are you doing rotatorwork?
    The weights you will start out with are immasculating but it is worth it. I have never had a debilitating shoulder injury since I started doing cuban rotations and external rotations.
    I start every single workout where my shoulder is used with them.


    Also.
    Now that we know that we know each other personally you have become my Guinea pig.
    I am sure that April's and my advice will contradict each other's sometimes but just take from both and use what works.
    __________________
    I think she meant to say that I have a hard time putting on mass.

    Come on man, you saw me before. I was uber skinny man. However, I wasn't eating right back then either. I was probably taking in like 2,500 calories at the time. Now I'm pulling in 3,500/day.

    As far as squats, I guess I've just been reading all of the things people say about how they're much needed by everyone and that they help in growth. I can tell you this, I'm getting much more work out of the hack squats I'm doing than the smith squats.

    I looked into the manta ray and it just seemed like it was a pad like thing that helps in comfort. This requires me to still hold the bar is position. A while ago, I saw a custom bar that had two bars that would go over your shouders. Those bars had a hook on the back that actually held the barbell in place. All you did was hold the bars in front of you and squat! However, now I can't find this contraption and I think the thing was actually a part of a custom bar and not just a device like the manta ray.

    As for the shoulder thing; whenever I do shoulder work, I do 2 sets of external rotation on the cable machine for a warm-up. I just started to add this to my routine over the past 3 weeks in high hopes it will help until I get the surgery.

    As for being your guinea pig, hey, I'm all for it. I'm always learning and willing to listen and learn. April's advice conflicts with a lot of things I've learned too. She's a smart girl though. I still use her advice daily. I just think some areas either I misunderstand what she says or she doesn't explain it well to me.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,776
    That's called a "Safety Squat Bar".
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  16. #15
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Deads are a better massbuilder in my opinion.
    I tweaked my back a couple months ago and my heavy squatting has gone out the window for now.
    My legs have never looked better and I chalk it up to Leg pressing.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  17. #16
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Last time I was there I was deadlifting and April says to me" Why do you deadlift like that?"
    I've never seen anyone squat down at the beginning."
    I think I may have blinked a few times but I failed to really respond..lol.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  18. #17
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Last time I was there I was deadlifting and April says to me" Why do you deadlift like that?"
    I've never seen anyone squat down at the beginning."
    I think I may have blinked a few times but I failed to really respond..lol.
    Haha
    Last edited by intargc; 12-13-2005 at 07:56 PM.

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    How do you do an External Rotation?
    Is this a rotator cuff lift?

    I can only think of the one where you lay on your side and your top arm is at a 90 degree angle and you hold a light plate or DB and rotate upwards pivoting at the elbow.
    My right shoulder has been hurting l8tly...

  20. #19
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    How do you do an External Rotation?
    Is this a rotator cuff lift?

    I can only think of the one where you lay on your side and your top arm is at a 90 degree angle and you hold a light plate or DB and rotate upwards pivoting at the elbow.
    My right shoulder has been hurting l8tly...
    I do it with the cable machine. I just drop the pulley down to where my elbow is and stand to one side and rotate my arm outward. Then repeat for the other side... It's pretty much the same thing as laying on a bench and doing it with a DB.

  21. #20
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Wednesday - Chest / Triceps / Abs

    Chest
    DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x7, 75x6
    Incline BB Bench Press - 135x8, 145x6, 145x6
    Decline ISO Hammer - 85x8, 85x7

    Triceps
    Skull Crusher - 40x14, 70x7, 70x7
    Arm Extensions - 90x12, 110x5, 100x6

    Abs
    Crunches - 12x4
    Incline Reverse Crunches - 12x4

    Comments
    In an effort to decrease the amount of time I'm in the gym, I'm changing up my routine. It's still going to be a 3 day split, but it will be more like this:

    Day 1 - Chest / Triceps
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Back / Biceps
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Legs / Shoulders

    There were two days in my old routine that were killing me on time and progress. First one was Chest/Back day. Going as hard as I can on chest and then turning around and trying to go hard on things like pullups and deadlifts just didn't work out. I need more energy for this area. Plus, the entire chest routine I'm dreading the fact that I have the entire back routine to do as well and when I think about spending a lot of time in the gym at once, it annoys me. Also, Shoulder/Arms day was very long and obnoxious. With this routine, I figure I can get in and out within an hour. I did today anyway.

    I was lagging a bit on weight because I'm amazingly tired. On Monday night I came home from work and felt sick all night. I'm pretty sure it was something I ate. I fell asleep from 6PM until 12AM and when I woke up, I felt better and had some food. However, I didn't get back to sleep until 7AM. I got to stay up and watch the whole Tookie execution thing. I slept until 11AM. Then last night I only got 4 hours of sleep and was up from 3AM until I decided to go to work. I just couldn't sleep. Insomnia I guess.

    Caution - Long rant about news channels, media bias and Tookie. Skip the rest of this post if you don't care.
    I laughed as I flipped through the channels... The slant between specific news organizations is amazing to me. You turn on CNN and you get straight up liberal non-sense. People acting as if they're trying to be balanced, but are clearly not. They made it very apparent that they were siding with Tookie. Then I flipped it to Fox news. Now, I'm a conservative myself, so I enjoy fox news. Fox news is conservative 90% of the time and yes, that means they're bias. They were for this and I enjoyed it. They kept bringing up facts about Tookie that you wouldn't hear on CNN or MSNBC. How he threw chemicals in the guards face, tried to escape (not during the day of the execution, of course, but throughout his stay at the jail) and how he won't roll over on any of the Crips members even though it would save countless lives and bring down the Crips. Yet, he says he's "Reformed" and "Redemed". Right... So, let me get this straight. You created a gang that is worldwide. Now you say you're sorry you ever created it and you hate it and you're against violence. However, when police ask you for help on bringing some gang members down, save people from dying and get drugs off the street you say "I dont' want to be a snitch". Yeah... that's a reformed man if I ever heard of one.

    Also, I like how people keep mentioning that he's been a Nobel Peace Prize nominee and he wrote children's books that have saved thousands of lives. Well, fox looked into this... Turns out that Adolf Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939. It also turns out that it doesn't take much to be nominated. As long as you know a law maker that will write a letter of nomination to the board, you're nominated! There are plenty of law makers out there with an agenda against the death penalty that would do this in a heart beat to make Tookie look like a great man. And the Children's books? Please... Madonna writes Children books too. That isn't saying squat. Plus the "Thousands of lives" he's saved through those books just doesn't add up. He's only sold a few hundred of them. But I digress...

    I personally don't know if I'm a fan of the death penalty or not. Sometimes I feel like I am, other times I don't feel like I am. I'm a fence sitter on this one. There are people in my religion that ignorantly say "Thou shall not kill" when speaking of Captial Punishment but neglect to read the rest of the bible that speaks of Capital Punishment in a different light. Also most Christians believe that "Thou shall not kill" is incorrectly translated and should say "Thou shall not murder". If you actually kill someone by accident and not out of hate, it's not murder. Capital Punishment to me means something completely different than murder. So, I sit on the right side of the fence with those thoughts. I sit on the other side of the fence with pure emotion. I tend to use my logic over emotion... However, emotion is a strong thing.

    However, I just think it's funny with news organizations. Fox news was all about giving facts about Tookie. Before I started watching Fox and was watching the other news channels on this, I started to think "Wow, maybe he really is reformed." Then I switch to Fox and they're telling the whole story. About his books, about his nomination, about him not rolling over on the crips, about him fighting gaurds in the jail, throwing chemicals on them, trying to escape, etc... You didn't hear these things anywhere else. Every liberal in the land was at the protest in front of the jail and they were crowding around the Fox news camera trying to be as obnoxious as possible, of course. One girl kept putting her sign in front of the camera and trying to hold it there. When the camera man finally got pissed and took her sign from her and then gave it back, she whacked him over the head with it. Typical. I mean, freedom of press to them only works if it's liberal press. What's funny is the guy that was reporting on site was really moderate. He didn't say anything bad and just reported very calmly. He was saying "everyone here is very nice and calm" and then that girl gets mad because she can't stop the camera from rolling and hits the camera man over the head with a stick. He then said, while a guy behind him kept chanting "Fox lies." - "Well, 99.9% of everyone here is nice and calm. Everyone has a right to express their views and we provide them a medium to do it, but violence is uncalled for." I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Last edited by intargc; 12-14-2005 at 01:25 PM.

  22. #21
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    I had quite a busy week so I postponed my last two workout days to Saturday and Sunday.

    Saturday - Back / Biceps

    Back
    Lat Pulldowns (warm up) - 90x14, 105x10
    Pullups - BWx9, +5x7
    Hammer Iso High Row - 45x12, 90x7, 90x6 (weight per side)
    Deadlift - 115x10, 155x8, 175x8
    Shrugs - 260x10, 270x10, 270x6

    Biceps
    Barbell Curls - 45x12, 80x8, 80x6
    Preacher Curl - 35x6 (last one assisted), 35x5 (last two assisted)

    Comments
    Felt a little weak with biceps. I'm guessing because I moved them into back day and they already had a little bit of a toll with it.

  23. #22
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    I skipped shoulders today because I'm going straight into chest tomorrow in order to get my whole routine finished before Friday.

    Sunday - Legs / Abs

    Abs
    Crunches - 12 reps, 4 sets
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 12 reps, 4 sets

    Legs
    Leg Press - 180x12, 360x8, 410x7
    Hack Squat - 200x7, 200x6
    Leg Curls - 90x8, 95x8
    Seated Calve Raises - 90x10, 90x10, 90x10, 90x10

    Comments
    My hack squat was weak because I was doing it on a machine at a different location. Their hack squat machine was very weird. It felt very abnormal as opposed to the newer hack squat machine at the gym I usually go to. The newer machine feel's like a much more natural movement while the one at this gym felt like it put my knee's in an strange position as well as it felt like the machine hasn't been oiled in a long ass time. I don't feel like I got a good leg workout today at all.

  24. #23
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Monday - Chest / Triceps

    Chest
    DB Bench Press - 40x12, 40x10, 75x7, 75x6
    Incline Bench Press - 145x8, 145x7
    Decline Hammer - 85x10, 90x7, 90x6

    Triceps
    Skull Crushers - 65x7, 65x7
    Tricep Extensions - 100x10, 110x6, 100x7

    Comments
    I've gone down on triceps... I'm guessing this is also due to doing chest before and getting somewhat of a tricep workout in before hand like biceps and back day... However, when I left my triceps were swollen from the workout, so I felt I got a good workout in.

  25. #24
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    UPDATE

    I feel sorry for anyone that walks into my cube today.

    That is all.

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    UPDATE

    I feel sorry for anyone that walks into my cube today.

    That is all.
    lol I already got yelled at today for the egg smell. Well after it goes through my digestive system it's more like rotten egg smell...

    I swear I could kill a field mouse on days I have extra oats and eggs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •