The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 80

Thread: I have gas.

  1. #26
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    lol I already got yelled at today for the egg smell. Well after it goes through my digestive system it's more like rotten egg smell...

    I swear I could kill a field mouse on days I have extra oats and eggs.
    I'm tellin' ya... What sucks even more is when I'm having sex. If I've had a lot to eat about 1 hour before and I'm going at it, I'll feel a build up and I have to slow it down and pray to god that it goes away. I mean, what do you do there... "Honey... what's that smell?" "I don't know baby, shut up and get on top!"

    ... Wait... I haven't tried that yet.

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    I'm tellin' ya... What sucks even more is when I'm having sex. If I've had a lot to eat about 1 hour before and I'm going at it, I'll feel a build up and I have to slow it down and pray to god that it goes away. I mean, what do you do there... "Honey... what's that smell?" "I don't know baby, shut up and get on top!"

    ... Wait... I haven't tried that yet.
    LOL I'm married so I can just let them fly. I get the sarcastic "oh..that's sexy"..but I just push her face into the pillow harder haha.

  3. #28
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    LOL I'm married so I can just let them fly. I get the sarcastic "oh..that's sexy"..but I just push her face into the pillow harder haha.
    Maybe we're on different boats here.. I mean, I'd be scared my wife would divorce me with this smell... Either that or put me on the "no sex" list for a good month.

  4. #29
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Hmm. You need a woman that fights fire with fire....
    *Summons Shasta*
    A bodybuilder bitch is just as bad.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  5. #30
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Hmm. You need a woman that fights fire with fire....
    *Summons Shasta*
    A bodybuilder bitch is just as bad.
    I'm down with some fart fighting with my significant other. BRING IT ON!

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    I had mortal combat on the mind because I was reading hatred's post (his av looks like scorpion) before I went to bed, and I kept thinking "Finnish Her!"
    I got yelled at for getting into bed, letting a nasty, and pulling the covers up over my wifes head. I was laughing so hard I think I pulled a stomach muscle. It was definatly a Flawless Fatality.

  7. #32
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    I had mortal combat on the mind because I was reading hatred's post (his av looks like scorpion) before I went to bed, and I kept thinking "Finnish Her!"
    I got yelled at for getting into bed, letting a nasty, and pulling the covers up over my wifes head. I was laughing so hard I think I pulled a stomach muscle. It was definatly a Flawless Fatality.
    Yeah, see... that would definitely lead to at least 2 weeks of no sex for me. I just can't afford that. My test levels won't allow it. I'd go broke on renting porn for those 2 weeks.

  8. #33
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Wednesday - Back / Biceps

    Back
    Deadlifts - 95x12, 95x10, 185x8, 195x8
    Pull-ups - BW+5x8, BW+5x7
    Hammer Iso-High Row - 90x8, 90x7
    Shrugs - 270x10, 270x10

    Biceps
    Barbell Curls - 80x10, 80x7
    Preacher Curls - 35x6 (last 2 on right arm assisted), 35x6 (last 2 on right arm assisted)

    Comments
    I feel like I can do at least 20lbs more on deadlift, but my hands are really slipping. Time to get some straps?

    On Preacher curls, my left arm is definitely the strong one. I'm assisting my right arm on the last 2, however, each week it feels a tiny bit stronger and less assistance is needed. I'll get up there eventually. However, if I curl 30's I can do like 10... I figured it was time to move up.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    When I was doing deads on a regular basis, I would warmup with sets of 6-8reps, and then do my working sets at 5 reps and below. My hands sweat during the high reps and they start to slip. Form usually goes down hill the higher the reps too.

    Right now I am doing high rep deads because it's part of the program I am doing and my hands slip because of being sweaty, not my grip failing.

    Is it your grip failing, or are they just slipping from being sweaty?

  10. #35
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    When I was doing deads on a regular basis, I would warmup with sets of 6-8reps, and then do my working sets at 5 reps and below. My hands sweat during the high reps and they start to slip. Form usually goes down hill the higher the reps too.

    Right now I am doing high rep deads because it's part of the program I am doing and my hands slip because of being sweaty, not my grip failing.

    Is it your grip failing, or are they just slipping from being sweaty?
    Well, I'm one of those dorks who wears gloves, so it's not from sweat. It's more from my forearms being a weakpoint on my body, I think. Which, makes me think not to get the straps because I'm sure this is great for forearm strength as well just like barbell curls kind of are. By the 7th rep the bar is almost at my fingertips from lack of strength in my grip.

  11. #36
    King Nothing ericg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    6,196
    Interesting journal man. Like the routine and the rants!!!
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

    My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

  12. #37
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    Interesting journal man. Like the routine and the rants!!!
    Thanks man! Feel free to chime in at any time and call me out on something.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    StL
    Posts
    1,125
    Do you do any type of grip work? Doing lifts like Db/BB shrugs or RDL/SLDL are good for grip because you are basically doing a static hold throughout the entire lift.
    How do you shrug 270 and not have a grip issue during that lift?

    Hammer curls might benefit you better than preachers if your forearms are lacking.

    I have used straps before on deads, but I wanted my grip to get stronger so I stopped.
    The gloves may be hurting your grip if they are too thick.
    Last edited by muscleup; 12-21-2005 at 02:28 PM.

  14. #39
    King Nothing ericg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    6,196
    The gloves will hamper your grip. They basically make the bar a larger diameter due to the material of the glove between your hand and the bar. Ditch the gloves for any work that requires maximal grip strength and use chalk.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

    My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

  15. #40
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    muscleup, ericg: Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot next time on deads. My gloves are pretty thin but that still might be an issue.

    Friday - Legs / Shoulders

    Legs
    Leg Press - 180x14, 360x10, 410x8
    Hack Squats - 230x9, 270x8
    Leg Curls - 60x12, 90x8, 90x8
    SL Deadlifts - 135x8, 135x8
    Seated Calves - 45x12, 70x10, 70x10

    Shoulders
    DB Shoulder Press - 35x10, 50x8, 55x5
    Lateral Raises - 20x8, 20x8
    Forward Raises - 20x8, 20x8

    Comments
    I threw in some SL Deadlifts this time because my GF was with me and she wanted to see how to do them and wanted me to check her form on them... It was an overall decent leg day. Can't say as much for shoulders...

    Merry Christmas!

  16. #41
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Monday - Chest / Triceps / Abs

    Chest
    DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x5, 75x6, 70x6
    BB Incline Press - 135x8, 145x6
    Decline Hammer - 90x8, 90x8

    Triceps
    Skull Crusher - 45x12, 65x8, 65x7
    Tricep Extensions - 90x7, 90x6

    Abs
    Crunches - 12, 12, 12, 12
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 12, 12, 12, 12


    Comments
    Ok, yesterday wasn't so great. I'm blaming it on all of the Christmas food I've been eating. However, all this food consists of candy. Ha! Holy crap I have never eaten so much in my life. However, I'm giving myself this week to allow that since it's that time of year. I'm not even doing my fitday until I'm off of vacation (January 3rd). I'm still eating normally, but all this candy is definitely giving me a nice stomach. I'll be buddah in no time. I swear... my stomach sucks.

    Also, I'm wondering how to pick up some lagging body parts. My legs are doing great as well as my triceps. However, I feel my Chest, shoulders and biceps are really lagging! I've been stuck on shoulders for at least 6 months. I'm doing seated DB presses at 55lbs for a while now and lateral raises haven't moved up at all (still stuck at 20lbs). If I try to move up in lateral raises, I can't get them up. Chest sucks too. About 3 months ago I switched to doing DB Bench press because I hit a serious plateau in regular BB bench press (about 155). I made an improvement from doing 60x8 to 75x8 (not today... like I said a bad day today). However, I'm not going over that for a while now. If you look at my log it shows me making fast improvements in bench but that's only because I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder and I went light for a while and built back up to 75's. I was doing 75x8 for like a month before that. I figure biceps will eventually come into play, but I haven't made improvements in that area either for quite some time.

    So, any help is appreciated. I'm also going to post this on the regular forums to see if I can get any help from people that don't read my journal. Does anyone have a good shoulder and chest routine that can help me out?

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    422
    Hey Intargc,

    Im not really sure what youre name is, i havent seen it. But i have read all of the journal that you posted, or at least the last two pages. I have to say youre rants are fricken hilarious man! You gotta put some more stuff about the gym and how people are making an ass outta themselves. I love that. My dad does 20s for DB curls, and does like 30 reps of it with a giant bending of his back to use momentum to get it up. I keep trying to get him to lift seriously, but hes afraid of getting "sore".

    And you know what i was watching the news yesterday, and they showed a little fitness routine to keep people in shape. And they had this really athletic guy doing crunches then stationary jogging with high knees, then more leg raises, jumping jacks, etc. It was hilarious. Like people could actually loose weight. I think if anything, thats for someone whos so athletic and in shape, that its on top of everything to do that or just a warmup.

    Anyways, to your journal. There are some things i dont understand. You say you cant hold a bar when squatting,but you can bench until failure or near???? And you can deadift with the bar and do skull crushers with them. How exactly does that work but you cant squat.

    Secondly, I notice that you pretty much have two upperbody days(exclluding the deads) and one lower. I think that more even would be better, like lower, upper, as me and muscleup do i think. And you know its always cool to "switch things up." Muscleup is a big fan of this. LOL

    Another thing, you said your incline was 155*6 and your flat is about the same. The only difference is inlcline emphasizes your shoulders more and hurts your chest. So im thinking that your chest is probably your limiting factor here. You should put up some pics, i dont remember seeing any. And do some dips man!!!!!!!!!!! If the shoulder can take it. And get that damn surgery sometime and perfect form on all your presses until then, nothing less!

    -Rick
    Bulking is living.

    Age:18
    Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

    Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

    My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

  18. #43
    shot a man in reno Mik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Neil's Garage
    Posts
    6,665
    Hey man, just checked out your journal. Pretty funny stuff. Like you, my chest is lagging. Bench is prolly my weakest ex. Personally I'm trying a new PL approach to bench work I'm hoping will help. Maybe a change for you? Just my $0.02.

  19. #44
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Hey Intargc,
    What up.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Im not really sure what youre name is, i havent seen it.
    It's Dean.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    But i have read all of the journal that you posted, or at least the last two pages. I have to say youre rants are fricken hilarious man! You gotta put some more stuff about the gym and how people are making an ass outta themselves. I love that. My dad does 20s for DB curls, and does like 30 reps of it with a giant bending of his back to use momentum to get it up. I keep trying to get him to lift seriously, but hes afraid of getting "sore".
    Thanks. I have plenty of them, believe me. Like today I saw a guy doing "Squats". Great form. He would basically lock his legs, then unlock them and bend them just a tad to the point where it looked like he was about to fart. Then he would lock the knee's again. I just kind of shook my head and continued to stare at the hottie on the stair climber across the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Anyways, to your journal. There are some things i dont understand. You say you cant hold a bar when squatting,but you can bench until failure or near???? And you can deadift with the bar and do skull crushers with them. How exactly does that work but you cant squat.
    It's somewhat complicated and most people don't understand it unless they're experienced in how the shoulder works and how it can dislocate, or have had a dislocated shoulder themselves. I'll try to explain... I'm not 100% educated on shoulder injuries. I mean, I can't operate on one, but I can explain how a shoulder dislocates and what you can do to keep it from dislocating.

    Depending on how you injured your shoulder to get it to dislocate depends on how it will dislocate in the future or if it dislocates in the future. I injured my shoulder when I was in wrestling without knowing it really. Many people do this actually. I know a few gymnast that have done this as well. What I mean is, they did something to stretch the ligaments that held the shoulder in place and later they did something to force the shoulder out of socket. I could have injured it some other way, but I didn't start dislocating my shoulder until after wrestling.

    Anyway, if you've dislocated your shoulder as many times as I have, the ball actually develops a sort of dip in it. This is what screws me. When the arm is put in a specific compromising position, that dip in the ball becomes exposed to the socket and pop! The dip slides over the socket and gets caught and then when I bring my arm back, this forces it out of socket even more. It's hard to explain without a diagram. Maybe one day I'll be bored enough to design one since so many people ask me "How come you can ____ but you can't ___?"

    Now, for some people, the compromising position is an arm above their head. This position can put extra stress on my shoulder, but it doesn't expose the dip in the ball as much as if my hand is facing up and my arms are moved behind my back forcing my shoulders back. If I'm benching, my arm isn't fully in this position. If I'm squatting, it is exactly in this position and add the weight pressing down on that area it completely ruins it. Throwing my arm back will also put it in this compromising position as well which is what happened when I do rear delt flies.

    I know it sounds strange, but it's true. I've read about it and it was even confirmed by my Orthopaedic. I have never dislocated my shoulder doing bench or db bench... (Knock on wood) and I believe that is the reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Secondly, I notice that you pretty much have two upperbody days(exclluding the deads) and one lower. I think that more even would be better, like lower, upper, as me and muscleup do i think. And you know its always cool to "switch things up." Muscleup is a big fan of this. LOL
    Every routine I've seen suggests one lower day... I've seen some people's routines that suggest doing two lowers a week, but I've just always read otherwise... From what I understood, the muscles in your legs require a much longer recovery period than, say, your arms. Some articles I've read say that it requires 5-10 days for your quads to recover fully and even suggest not doing any heavy compounds the next day because your whole body has to recover from a leg workout. Of course it varies for some people and such... However, I just always have done 1 leg day. I was doing the WBB routines for a while and they all did 1 lower and 2 upper days as well and I've just recently switched it up from the WBB's.

    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Another thing, you said your incline was 155*6 and your flat is about the same. The only difference is inlcline emphasizes your shoulders more and hurts your chest. So im thinking that your chest is probably your limiting factor here. You should put up some pics, i dont remember seeing any. And do some dips man!!!!!!!!!!! If the shoulder can take it. And get that damn surgery sometime and perfect form on all your presses until then, nothing less!
    I posted some pictures back in November:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=72354

    I've been trying to increase my incline because it was so weak. When I started doing BB incline, I could barely push up 95lbs. Now I'm up to 145/150... I was up to 155 but it seems that my strength here has weakened for some reason.

    And, no offense to you... because I sincerely appreciate you helping out, but I'm sick and tired of hearing that Inclines hurt your chest or hender chest growth. It's an unproven myth that for some reason a lot of people have grasped onto because they're incline bench is so weak. Quite simply put, doing incline works you chest just like any other exercise does it just also puts more of an emphasis on your delts than a flat bench would. As a matter of fact, every body builder i talk to incorporates some sort of incline chest work into their program whether it be Barbell incline or Dumbbell incline's and even incline cable flies or DB flies. I personally think it's a wonderful inclusion to a chest routine and is needed for strength and progress... I mean, my bench has gone up ever since I started doing inclines and I was stuck before hand. When I was doing 95lb inclines, I was only doing 150 on regular bench and I was stuck there. When my inclines went up, so did my regular bench.

    I've just seen more proof that incline presses do good for your chest. Actually, I haven't seen any scientific proof that it hampers chest growth or even "hurts" your chest. I know I haven't read everything out there, so if there is an article stating this and that same article or author isn't saying that "lifting heavy is bad for your body" or "deadlifts can kill you dead", then I'll read it.

  20. #45
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Wednesday - Back / Biceps

    Back
    Lat Pulldowns (WU) - 90x12, 120x10
    Pull ups - +5x8, +10x7, +10x5
    Hammer Iso Highrow - 95x8, 95x7, 95x5.5
    Deadlift - 95x12, 185x8, 195x8, 195x7
    Shrugs - 270x10, 275x9

    Biceps
    Barbell Curls - 80x8, 85x7
    Preacher Curls - 35x7, 35x6 (last one here was assisted)

    Comments
    Overall a great day. I made improvements across the whole board!

    I was really winded through the whole workout and took longer breaks between sets. I've just been sitting on my ass playing "Path of Neo" ever since I unwrapped it... However, I threw in a couple of more sets on some things for some reason... I just felt stronger and wanted to take advantage of it I guess.

    Speaking of "Path of Neo", I've already beat it within 3 days. I swear these Matrix games are SO short. However, they're a lot of fun. I'm going to play it again while I eat chicken and perogies. Mmmm... Oh, and munch on all the chocolate I have too. Word.

  21. #46
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Friday - Legs / Shoulders

    Legs
    Leg Press - 180x12, 180x12, 380x8, 390x8
    Hack Squat - 270x8, 280x7
    Leg Curl - 90x10, 90x8, 90x6
    Standing calve Raises - 165x10, 165x10
    Seated Calve Raises - 70x10, 70x10

    Shoulders
    Seated DB Press - 35x12, 55x7, 55x6, 55x6
    Lateral Raises - 25x8, 25x8
    Forward Raises - 25x8, 25x8

    Comments
    Ummm... My shoulders suck. Need to get out of this lag. They look like skinny man shoulders!

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    422
    Hey Dean,

    Wow thanks for all the seperate responses. I wasnt knocking inclines, i like them a lot. I was just using that as an example to say how if theyre the same then your chest needs to improve. Maybe some more dips. But inclines are cool. I kinda know what you mean by how you cant Squat because of the dip in the ball of your shoulder. Squatting does put us in a percarious postition to our shoulder. You know ive been having this pain in my arm from squatting around my triceps. I think its bc a few times i took off with justt my arms and not my legs when i took it off the pins. But im not sure. Perhaps you have looked into the squatting form and how to hold your arms for maximum protection. If you could shed any light on this. I go about 2 or 3 inches away from the soft part of the barbell on each side. Is is this semi wide grip that could be hurting you think?

    And about your pics, i think its mainly your chest as you said in some post before. Make sure than when your benching your fully using your chest and not just arming it like i used to. And keep eating and pounding away and dipping and it should go up more. Also im suprised that your deads are kinda low, is that bc of your shoulder in any reason?

    Rick
    Bulking is living.

    Age:18
    Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

    Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

    My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

  23. #48
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Crap, I forgot to post my workout from monday!

    Monday - Chest / Triceps

    Chest
    DB Bench Press - 40x12, 75x7, 75x6
    BB Incline Bench Press - 145x8, 150x6
    Hammer Decline - 92.5x8, 92.5x8 (Per arm)

    Triceps
    Skull Crusher - 45x12, 70x7, 70x6
    Tricep Extensions - 90x10, 100x5, 95x6

    Comments
    I went up a couple of reps on bench and up 5lbs on tricep work. Pretty good I guess. I was with the Girlfriend on Monday and I have to remind her to spot me properly. Sometimes she helps a little too much and I just don't count those reps at all...

  24. #49
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Hey Dean,Perhaps you have looked into the squatting form and how to hold your arms for maximum protection. If you could shed any light on this. I go about 2 or 3 inches away from the soft part of the barbell on each side. Is is this semi wide grip that could be hurting you think?
    I'm no expert on squatting form. I'm sure I'm a bit off. However, the only way my shoulder is not in as vulnerable position is if I do front squats or somehow get my arm to be in front of my chest instead of behind my back.

    The two exercises that have dislocated my shoulder so far are

    1) Squats
    2) Rear delt flies

    This is over 2 years of weight lifting... So, I just stay away from those two exercises.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbc13
    And about your pics, i think its mainly your chest as you said in some post before. Make sure than when your benching your fully using your chest and not just arming it like i used to. And keep eating and pounding away and dipping and it should go up more. Also im suprised that your deads are kinda low, is that bc of your shoulder in any reason?
    Nah, my deads are low because I'm just weak in them. Has nothing to do with my shoulder. I didn't start doing deadlifts until about 4 weeks ago so I'm gradually going up in weight. I'm not going to be stupid and just pile on a lot of weight and try to be all macho about it. I'm weak in that area and I need to build up on weight and work on my form first instead of trying to feel macho and blow my back out in the process.

  25. #50
    if (! lifting) eat(); intargc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    467
    Wednesday - Back / Biceps

    Back
    Barbell Deadlifts - 135x10, 205x8, 215x7, 215x6
    Pullups - BWx10, +10x8, +10x8
    Hammer High Rows - 97.5x8, 100x7, 100x7
    Shrugs - 275x10, 275x10

    Biceps
    Barbell Curls - 65x10, 85x7, 85x5, 65x6
    Preacher Curls - 35x5, 35x5, 35x5

    Comments
    I need someone to watch my deadlift form... I think I'm getting it right, but it would be nice to have someone that is knowledgable telling me if I'm screwing it up slightly... Josh, come back to Atlanta and do a day with me in the gym so you can point and laugh at my form with deadlifts!

    I felt weak today. I'm blaming it on not eating well last night, lack of sleep and not eating well this morning. I was stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours (it takes me 15 minutes to get to work without traffic) and so I missed a meal due to that. I was STARVING when I got to work and downed some Opticen with milk. That just wasn't enough. Eating my 2 PB&J's with 30oz of milk right now. Awww.... yeah.

    I saw the walking back injury man today again. It was grand. I've talked about this man before. The guy whole arches his back to the point he's almost at a 90 degree angle when he does curls. Yes, people. Curls. I've never seen a back hyperextend so much in my life. I mean, I'm guilty of bad form on my curls from time to time, but this man pushes it that way with every | bloody | rep! I mean, if I feel some tension on my back and I feel I can't get the bar up without arching the back, I either stop doing that set or I lower the weight if I just started the set. Problem solved. Back to good form, just increase the reps a bit until next week. But this guy has been curling a 90lb EZ Bar for... lord... like 2 months now and he's still in the worst form I've ever seen. It's no wonder... I know he has to see me staring at him when he does those. I was at a rack doing deadlifts when he was doing his curls. I swear, I almost hope I get to see this guy daily because he just amuses me to no end. I almost got a little giddy when I looked in the mirror and saw this man picking up the 90lb EZ Bar behind me. I noticed the look on my face in the mirror while I was watching him... It's mainly like:


    Then, while doing my preacher curls, I get the pleasure to watch these two interesting characters. A guy that can't be more than... umm... 140 lbs at about 5'9 is guiding a guy on how to workout. Don't get me wrong, his weight and height have nothing to do with his ability and knowledge, but what he had this guy doing just made me scratch my head... It was apparent that this guy was just starting back in the gym. He wasn't really "out of shape". But, he obviously didn't know what to do. So the guy coaching him decided it was Bicep day and he said "Sit at the preacher seat" He then brings over a 60lb, 50lb, 40lb and 30lb EZ Bars. He says "Ok, do 10 of these, then I'll give you this and do 10 and so on..." Um... Ok. No compound exercises for Bob today! We're going to start you out by burning your muscles out as fast as we possibly can! So he starts. "Faster! Faster! Squeeze!" This poor guy... He's done with his 10, drops it, gets the 50lb handed to him "Faster! Faster! Squeeze!" and so on until he finished with the 20lb. Hey, that's not all. Let's do it again for good measure. However, this time the guy couldn't do much without the guy pretty much lifting the bar for him each time. He would get maybe 3 reps in out of the 10 and then needed help on all of them until he got to the 40lb bar and then he just had really funny form. Wait, but that's not all. "you need to isolate your bicep more" so they go and get a 25, 20, 15 and 10 lb dumbbells. "Back to the preacher seat!" he says. "Go!" So the guy starts doing 10 of each of these. "Faster! Look at my bicep! Squeeze it like this!" The little guy flexes his bicep which I failed to see for more than one reason. He repeats this mantra over and over "Faster! Squeeze! Look at my bicep! Squeeze!". He barely made it through his first round of curls. The guy was already helping him on his first 25lb set, then on his 20lb set and again his last 15 and 10lb set were just absolutely awful form. But WAIT! Let's do it again! I swear... I just stared at them and realized that I had only done one set myself...

    When I was leaving, I had to walk past the personal trainer counter and the little guy was sitting inside of it... Yeah, he was a personal trainer, I guess. The guy he was training was proudly telling the manager (I met him on monday when my GF went up to ask about getting hired) about all the curls he just did. I didn't stop to hear what the manager said... I'm hoping he looked at him and said "I watched you... you didn't even finish half of those sets without his help!" Let's not forget, this is all they did... An insane flury of EZ Bar curls and preacher curls. Call it a day! I have to go train more people with my amazing routines and infinite knowledge of biceps!
    Last edited by intargc; 01-04-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •