The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amber's Love

Protein Shake after Workout

Ok I know its advisable to have a protein shake right after a workout, but I work out real late (from 8:00 to 10:00) and by the time I get home and have a protein shake I'm going to sleep like 30 - 1 hour later. Is it "healthy" for me to be drinking a shake so late? If the proetin shake is just sittin in my stomache when I go to sleep, isn't that a bad thing?
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 275
    Lifting: Little more than 1 Year

Completely reforming my technique, especially my squat.

Maxes: Forget about that for quite a while.

Goal: Lose 30 lbs by March? Doesn't look very good right now.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm finishing up a protein shake before going to bed right now.

So... I hope not.

Lots of people have a glass of milk before bed... what's wrong with padding it with a little whey?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Votorx
    isn't that a bad thing?
    Reason out for me why you think this is a bad thing? Do you think your metabolism shuts down while you sleep? You know you still burn calories just by being alive, right?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Ok I know its advisable to have a protein shake right after a workout, but I work out real late (from 8:00 to 10:00) and by the time I get home and have a protein shake I'm going to sleep like 30 - 1 hour later. Is it "healthy" for me to be drinking a shake so late? If the proetin shake is just sittin in my stomache when I go to sleep, isn't that a bad thing?
    Just by common sense it wouldn't be bad for you. Your body repairs your muscles the most while your sleeping and your metabalism doesn't shut down at night, thats why you go to bed full, and wake up hungry . If its an issue that you feel too lazy to make a shake that late, just make it before you go to workout, stick in the fridge, and drink it when you come home.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

you need protein 24.7

Amber's Love
    My parents brought it up, just thought that because the protein is sitting in my stomache when I go to sleep, that I would end up gaining more weight than losing it, but that doesn't make too much sense.
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 275
    Lifting: Little more than 1 Year

Completely reforming my technique, especially my squat.

Maxes: Forget about that for quite a while.

Goal: Lose 30 lbs by March? Doesn't look very good right now.

Well, that is the reasoning behind sumo bulking, where they eat their huge ass meal and immediately go to sleep to minimalize energy expenditure so they can get the most fat put on per meal.

How the ancient and tested method holds up to the light of science I haven't a clue.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Pre mix the shake and bring it with you to the gym. Either drink it right after your workout, or start slowly drinking it about 3/4 of the way through your workout.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with that at all. Most of us here, even on a cut, eat immediately before bed.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    The only problem is without carbs the protein is wasted. Most of it would be converted to sugar.

If I don't eat before bed I have lousy sleep and I wake up starving in the A.M.
    Cuting or bulking i eat before bed.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    If I don't eat before bed I have lousy sleep and I wake up starving in the A.M.
    Cuting or bulking i eat before bed.
    :withstupi cottage cheese,pb, fruit, right before bed
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Cottage cheese, strawberry Muscle-milk, soy milk, grape juice, blend and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    The only problem is without carbs the protein is wasted. Most of it would be converted to sugar.
    That's another reason I take my whey mixed with milk, not water.

I wannabebig!
    everyone knows you cant eat after 6 p.m

8 pm is the cut off time all the women in the office I work at swear by.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    That's another reason I take my whey mixed with milk, not water.
    PWO the milk will bump up your carbs but barely. You would still be wasting alot of it. You would be better off to just take 50 grams of carbs.

I eat dinner post work out, typically. Actually, I tend to eat all night post work out...

I'm done with the gym by 7 or 7:30 pm, I go home, drink the shake, hit the shower, and then eat or make dinner. I try and have something with carbs in it during a lift day dinner... even if it's just sweet and sour or pasta sauce on my chicken breast.

I also tend to eat a lot of carbs BEFORE the workout. If I go into a workout having eaten 50 grams of carbs a few hours before wouldn't there still be some left to help with the post workout protein (I probably eat 50 to 75% of my daily protein post workout)?

My parents brought it up, just thought that because the protein is sitting in my stomache when I go to sleep, that I would end up gaining more weight than losing it, but that doesn't make too much sense.
    If that protein isn't there your body is going to find another source (ie. your muscle). IMO it's best to eat a slow acting protein such as casein found in milk and cottage cheese, and add some fats in there to make it digested even more slow. Your body still needs fuel even though your sleeping.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I eat dinner post work out, typically. Actually, I tend to eat all night post work out...

I'm done with the gym by 7 or 7:30 pm, I go home, drink the shake, hit the shower, and then eat or make dinner. I try and have something with carbs in it during a lift day dinner... even if it's just sweet and sour or pasta sauce on my chicken breast.

I also tend to eat a lot of carbs BEFORE the workout. If I go into a workout having eaten 50 grams of carbs a few hours before wouldn't there still be some left to help with the post workout protein (I probably eat 50 to 75% of my daily protein post workout)?
    Solid.

Before I turn in for the night, I usually eat two Breakstone Cottage Cheese Fruit cups, 2 tablespoons of Flax Oil and 3 fish oil capsules. I'll add a protein shake on top of this on the day I workout and the day after. Total calories at night are maybe 550 without the shake and about 900 with the shake. And in the morning my stomach is growling.

This statement is incorrect. Maybe if you were starving for a period of time before ingesting the protein, but otherwise, it would simply not occur that way. The aminos would still be utilized for protein synthesis in the absence of carbs.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
    This statement is incorrect. Maybe if you were starving for a period of time before ingesting the protein, but otherwise, it would simply not occur that way. The aminos would still be utilized for protein synthesis in the absence of carbs.
    This is the first time you have ever disagreed without resorting to insult.

I don't understand how a body that is starving for energy after a heavy workout can just go ahead and partake in protein synthesis, one of the bodies most energy draining activities.

Your hepatic glycogen is tapped and your BGL is low, this alone will effect the rate of gluconeogenesis.

Even if your body was going to go ahead and sythesize protein where would the energy come from ? Muscle catabolism? Hepatic catabolism?
    Last edited by Holto; 12-05-2005 at 12:24 PM.

This is the first time you have ever disagreed without resorting to insult.

I don't understand how a body that is starving for energy after a heavy workout can just go ahead and partake in protein synthesis, one of the bodies most energy draining activities.

Your hepatic glycogen is tapped and your BGL is low, this alone will effect the rate of gluconeogenesis.

Even if your body was going to go ahead and sythesize protein where would the energy come from ? Muscle catabolism? Hepatic catabolism?

Fatty acid oxidation. It is also unlikely that your stored carbohydrate is completely depleted after a workout.

All you have to do is consider a person on a low carb or no carb diet. If what you were saying were true, that protein consumed without carbs is converted mostly to sugar, that person would be unable to maintain their muscle mass. Observation shows this to be untrue. Many people using a PSMF diet maintain their LBM consuming almost nothing but protein. Sure a portion goes to making glucose, but this is a minority.

We could discuss this at length but to be honest, there isn't a complete understanding of all the dynamic processes occuring. But I can tell everyone without a doubt that protein consumed in the absence of carbs is not "wasted".
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 12-07-2005 at 12:23 PM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Thanks