Thread: Broadening Shoulders

Wannabebig Member

Broadening Shoulders

I am 18 years of age and still have relatively small sloping shoulders.

Two Questions:

Is it too late for me at this age?

If not, what would be the best way to approach a workout for my shoulders?

Thanks, H.T.

Never too late to pack on muscle. When I first started lifting I overkilled it on my shoulders, but with a new routine based on compounds as building blocks i've stuck some decent size on them. Post you whole routine, goals, diet, weight etc. and I'm sure the guys here will help out.

Do you think it's impossible to build muscle after you hit 18 or something?

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=shoulders

You should find what you need there
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

I would also think that a strong back would help with posture which will make your stature appear broader.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the messages. Only a couple things are that most of you posted that its not too late to gain muscle. That I know already, but what I was getting at was a bit different. My shoulders, as far as the size in bone and the width are not what I would like them to be. I have a friend who had shoulders like mine started working on them when he was 16 and was able to kinda stretch them out and add muscle. I was guessing that he also added some Bone Growth to those shoulders. Is it too late for that at my age due to the fact that most males stop growing at around 18? Or am I not making sense with the whole thing?

Thanks, H.T.

My Routine: Don't have a steady one at this point. I used to workout chest twice a week and arms twice a week. I would thrown in back and shoulders once a week together.

Goals:
    Broaden Shoulders, Add size to upper body overall. No one area more than another at this point.

Diet: I eat 10 times a day. Meat as much as possible. Drink more fluid than neccesary. (Wasn't sure what would be needed in this section).

Height: 6' 0", Weight: 170

Quote Originally Posted by H_Gop
    My Routine: Don't have a steady one at this point. I used to workout chest twice a week and arms twice a week. I would thrown in back and shoulders once a week together.

Height: 6' 0", Weight: 170
    Those are your two problems. Change your routine and pack on the pounds.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Goals:[/B] Broaden Shoulders, Add size to upper body overall. No one area more than another at this point.
    And I almost missed this one. In your new routine, be sure to include your legs.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    ^Thanks for the reply. Is there anyone out there that can answer the bulk of my question?

Heres what I have to say.

I was about 115lbs starting out about 4 yrs ago and all I did was bench, sometimes back work and that was about it, throw in a few pull downs and some military presses and thats it. I gained about 15lbs over 2yrs, puberty and piggin out probably helped that out.

So then I added squats and deadlifts to my routine + more calories and I gained 20lbs in 2 months. 130lbs at 5'7 is underweight and puberty so that also helped push my gains fast, and did I mention I was eating like hell?

Anyway I thought I had a narrow bone structure but packing on 20lbs 2yrs ago and recently gaining another 15 has helped fill out my shoulder girdle and everything else aswell. So just lift heavy, compound lifts and get your diet and lifting consistant and you'll see gains.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

8 weeks to monster shoulders
    haha
    Last edited by tigo; 12-03-2005 at 01:18 AM.
    I don't have time. I make time.

I think his main point is that his shoulder bone structure isnt broad enough, and slopes down.

I've always had broad shoulders, and my brother has always had slightly thinner, sloping downwards shoulders. It's mostly going to be down to your genetics. Although I loved milk as a kid, and he hated it... And I always used to like eating a bit more than him I think. Undereating as a kid won't help. Parents, make your kids drink milk! :-)

Anyway you cant go back in time so I'll just say... All you can do is... Eat a lot, work out all 3 shoulder muscles (deltoids), AND all your other muscles, see what happens. I'm sure you can make some improvements, even to bone layout.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU
    I think his main point is that his shoulder bone structure isnt broad enough, and slopes down.

Ya I thought that too once, gain 50 lbs, you would be suprised.

As for enlarging the bone structure, thats genetics. Sorry, unless you can go back in time and change who your parents are, your stuck with what you have.
    Nick V

You just need a structured routine and diet. For a routine, check out WBB1 in the routines section. That is a well rounded routine and will make your whole body bigger. As for diet, check out the diet section for specific eating tips. However, you generally are going to want to eat above your maintnence calories and get 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight, healthy fats and carbs (very gnerally).

In general though, "broad" shoulders doesn't necessarily mean large delts. One thing that makes your shoulders apper broader is large lats. The lats kinda prop up your arms and shoulders giving your shoulders a "broader" look.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Wannabebig Member
    Work on your posture too. My shoulders used to slope as well but I noticed that I kind of held my arms forward and that contributed to the problem. They will appear wider if they are straight lines coming out from your next, practice in the mirror and then try to walk around like that to improve posture.

I am 18 years of age and still have relatively small sloping shoulders.
    Two Questions: Is it too late for me at this age? If not, what would be the best way to approach a workout for my shoulders?
    No, you can still dramatically change the way your physique looks through training - if not, half of the people at this forum wouldn't be here.

My friend's brother, who's a surgeon, said something to my friend about fusion of bones in your chest/shoulders during your teens (probably the growth plates)... I think he's right. If you have narrow shoulders once you're 18 or 20, you're probably stuck with them. However, as everyone here has already said, gain 50lbs. You'll be amazed at the difference it'll make, even if your bone structure's the same.
    Last edited by TTT; 12-03-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate the advice. I going to get right at the workouts.

Not without incident..... Mad Martigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by albanat0r
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

8 weeks to monster shoulders
    haha
    Has this **** worked for anyone? Phase I sounds like something I might try for my weak left shoulder, but I don't know about Phase II. I currently do a Max-OT shoulder workout, which is pretty simple.

I was also going to say gain 50 pounds. Also, learn correct posture. If your shoulders are shrugged up really high, chances are you have weak lats. If your shoulders round forward, you have a weak back in general or flexibility issues in the scapulae. Conditions such as pectus excavatum (caved in chest) and scoliosis also promote poor posture, but these postural problems can be corrected (from a functional standpoint) through exercises and myofascial release. In severe cases, surgery may be needed.

One such exercise is the cobra stretch/hold. You lie on your stomach with your hands at your sides, and twist your pinkies up as far as possible, while arching your back up. You should feel a huge stretch in the shoulderblades and the back in general.

Skinny Fatass
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan
    Has this **** worked for anyone? Phase I sounds like something I might try for my weak left shoulder, but I don't know about Phase II. I currently do a Max-OT shoulder workout, which is pretty simple.
    Same question from me - has anyone tried this (the T-nation shoulder routine I mean)?