The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article against milk

I was reading This Article and was wondering what everyone thought of it. I personally love milk and drink it religiously, daily! I've made some great gains on milk... But what do you think of the health concerns caused from milk as stated in this article? Is this just another PETA fundamentalist article, or is it a valid concern?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The whistles go Wooo! jollyrancher's Avatar
    Well I am biased as I have a dairly allergy that seems to have manifested in the past year. Could that be the result of drinking whole milk as a child? Could be....but what I can tell you for certain is that I switched to Soy Milk a few months ago and don't miss "real" milk at all.

I am becoming more and more leary of anything mass produced. Manufacturers goals are to increase profit, with little to no concern about your health and safety beyond FDA minimums.

I say try Soy and if you don't like it then at least you tried it.
    -----
    Age 34
    Male
    5'9"
    Goal weight by 12/31/05 165
    Starting weight 07/10/05 142
    Current weight 153

Can you sew? Because I am RIPPED!

Wannabebig Member
    Personally I had allergic reactions to soy milk. I hear that's not an all too uncommon experience. Other soy/tofu products I'm fine with though. There are different kinds of milk out there too. Some people are keen on unpasteurized milk.
    Last edited by Vegilles; 12-06-2005 at 12:16 PM.
    Bulking; Diet; Lacto-vegetarian
    August ......... *164 lbs
    September .... *170 lbs
    0ctober ........ *175 lbs
    November ..... *185lbs
    December ..... *194lbs
    Goal; March 2006 - 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vegilles
    Personally I had allergic reactions to soy milk. I hear that's not an all too uncommon experience. Other soy/tofu products I'm fine with though. There are different kinds of milk out there too. Some people are keen on unpasteurized milk.
    Yikes... doesn't he pasteurization process remove a lot of the crap from the milk such as germs and viruses??

Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    Yikes... doesn't he pasteurization process remove a lot of the crap from the milk such as germs and viruses??

Pasteurization also kills the good bacteria in milk though. Neither pasteurization nor homoginization(sp) are paticularly "healthy" for you, contrary to what the dairy industry would like you to think.

That being said, I LOVE milk, but I only drink organic milk so I'm not terribly concerned about it. If I drank the mass produced commercial stuff I would probably take alot more heed of health warnings regarding milk.

edit: for example, almost every health problem mentioned in that article can be negated by drinking organic milk, because you can be positive that no drugs or chemicals are being used on the cows.
    Last edited by spencerjrus; 12-06-2005 at 12:55 PM.

But... but... I love my big yellow jug of Mayfield!

But... but... I love my big yellow jug of Mayfield!

Eh give Alta Dena Organic or Horizon a try sometime, I think you might find it doesnt have the bad aftertaste found in most commercial milk. Personally I think the consistency is better too.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    Eh give Alta Dena Organic or Horizon a try sometime, I think you might find it doesnt have the bad aftertaste found in most commercial milk. Personally I think the consistency is better too.
    Yeah, I just looked up Horizon. I apparently is at Kroger and Whole Foods and I have both of those near me. I'll check it out tonight. For now, I'm finishing my yellow jug! Only one glass left!

"Harmful chemicals"... so that's why everyone who drinks milk looses a limb and dies. I get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    I just got some Horizon but I was reading the container and it says "Homogenized and Ultra-Pasteurized" I thought that organic milks weren't supposed to be like that?

There was a HUGE debate over milk about a month ago in the diet/nutrition forum, but I think it got deleted because I can't find it.
    It was called "Bulking up with milk" or something like that.

Found it.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=Bulking
    Last edited by muscleup; 12-06-2005 at 07:55 PM.

I just got some Horizon but I was reading the container and it says "Homogenized and Ultra-Pasteurized" I thought that organic milks weren't supposed to be like that?

You're thinking of raw milk. (which is usually organic, but doesnt have to be) Unforutnately raw milk is extremely hard to get because the law prohibits it being shipped across state lines, so unless someone in your state is a large producer, you aint really gonna have a chance to buy any.

The only difference between commercial milk and organic is the way they treat/feed the cows,(though this obviously makes a HUGE difference, as we all know in bodybuilding, diet is 90% of the equation) the milk is processed in pretty much exactly the same way.

Gotcha... Well, I'll continue to get Horizon then. Thanks for the advice

Gotcha... Well, I'll continue to get Horizon then. Thanks for the advice
    Because of you guys I spent 3.49 on 1/2 a gal of Horizon 2% today....They were out of whole

I always get 2%. A little less fat and only 20 less calories per serving. I have just never gotten whole milk for some reason.

What annoys me is I can only find the 1/2 gallons. I go through 1/2 gallon in 1 day exactly... I usually get 2 gallons worth of milk, but now I'm going to have to buy 4 damn containers of it.

Haha now you guys feel my pain, the grocery store nearest my house is regularly out of Horizon Whole milk. Because of this I now buy 3-4 gallons at a time. The lady at the checkout gives me weird looks when I lay 8 containers of milk on the counter lol.

I wish they had the gallon containers more often but for some reason it seems they produce more of the half gallon ones.

To answer the question that you asked...I would not use that article as a the foundation of any argument you can make either for or against drinking milk. The author is definately not an expert--> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south.htm

Also, with one exception, every reference he sites is at least 10 years old.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by pruneman
    To answer the question that you asked...I would not use that article as a the foundation of any argument you can make either for or against drinking milk. The author is definately not an expert--> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south.htm

Also, with one exception, every reference he sites is at least 10 years old.
    Clayton South is a well known writer in the bodybuilding and fitness industry. With over eighty bodybuilding and fitness publications to his credit, this expert is looked to monthly by over four million readers from around the world.

Mr. South is the author of Applied Bodybuilding Research, a leading-edge publication, based on the newest research from the worlds leading scientists. In addition, Mr. South is the author of a wildly popular monthly questions and answers column, and numerous training, supplement and nutritional articles.

As an industry insider and consumer advocate, Clayton South is on the forefront of the industry, testing new products daily, and pushing for consumer rights. Mr. South also has extensive experience as a personal trainer.

Graduating from a leading college with an associates degree in law, Clayton South has designed and implemented rehabilitation programs for troubled youth. As a councilor, social worker and noted motivational speaker, Mr. South has helped some of tomorrows most troubled citizens transform their lives before it is too late, through his unique psychological approach, and his appreciation for an active, healthy, lifestyle.
    He sounds pretty qualified to me...

However, I think, as spencer stated, Organic milk rules out all of the major issues specified. Plus, the Anthony rundown on milk is priceless:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Okay. So I'm going to try to summarize all of the "bad" things about milk and then give my opinion. If I missed one, oh well. If anything is incorrect, feel free to explain, but be prepared to provide facts (preferably backed by studies).

1) Cow milk is bad for humans because we only need human milk during infancy.
    - Propoganda.

2) Milk contains pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics.
    - More propoganda. Not all dairy cows are exposed to hormones/antibiotics/pesticides. If you want to make an argument against those chemicals, go for it. But they are separate from milk. Furthermore, many of the hormones that have been shown to cause problems (such as rBGH) have been banned and/or boycotted in the majority of the world's dairy farmers.

3) Milk doesn't contain fiber or complex carbs.
    - So what? Think big picture.

4) Milk contains cholesterol and saturated fat.
    - Again, so what? Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on cholesterol levels of active/healthy individuals. And while most people say all saturated fat is bad, a lot of studies and dieticians have shown that it can be beneficial ... even up to 50% of our fat intake.

5) Milk contains cow's blood and pus.
    - And when you go for a swim at the beach, you're swimming in fish ****. Grow up.

6) Dairy products cause allergies, constipation, obesity, heart disease, cancer, etc.
    - Most allergies are inherited. If you have scientific studies that show milk causing allergies, I'd be more than happy to read it. Constipation is related to protein allergies and exists in both cow and soy milk. Obesity and heart disease are primarily results of poor lifestyles. Cancer ... don't you know that everything causes cancer?

7) There's nothing in pasteurized cow milk that is good for humans.
    What about protein, fat, vitamin a/d/b6/b12, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, potassium, etc?

8) Casein is difficult to digest.
    - Slower digestion isn't a bad thing.

9) Lactose can't be digested (30-50 americans don't produce enough lactase).
    - So 10-15% of americans experience a problem that can be fixed and we care because ... ? Hell, some people are allergic to fish, does that mean I shouldn't eat it? Maybe we should only eat food that causes no problems in 100% of the world population.

10) Not a good source of calcium because there's no phosphatase.
    - I'm not a chemist or biologist, but it's my understanding that calcium requires vitamin d to be absorbed efficiently. Either way, I did a quick search and found this ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

[QUOTE=intargc]He sounds pretty qualified to me...QUOTE]

umm...he has an associates degree in law and he is studying psychology. How does this make him qualified? He's not a scientist or doctor. Anyone can read a few old journals and write an article on them. I'm pretty sure you won't find much if you search pub med for Clayton South.

This "Furthermore, many of the hormones that have been shown to cause problems (such as rBGH) have been banned and/or boycotted in the majority of the world's dairy farmers." takes care of the article intargc was worried about.

Squatting in the Curl Rack
    [QUOTE=pruneman]
    He sounds pretty qualified to me...QUOTE]

umm...he has an associates degree in law and he is studying psychology. How does this make him qualified?
    He knows how to spew convincing BS?

well...I wasn't gonna come right out and say it.

[QUOTE=JustLost]
    Quote Originally Posted by pruneman

He knows how to spew convincing BS?

It's not exactly BS, some of those things were major health concerns at a point in time, but as someone pointed out most of the studies he was talking about are at least a decade old. And as I said organic milk negates basically every point he made.

If it was a big deal, don't you think we would see more about it? How many people do you think drink milk every day? I'm going to keep drinking it.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

[QUOTE=spencerjrus]
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLost

It's not exactly BS, some of those things were major health concerns at a point in time, but as someone pointed out most of the studies he was talking about are at least a decade old. And as I said organic milk negates basically every point he made.
    I did not read the entire article nor am I an expert on the subject so I can't really comment on whether it is BS or not. The point I was trying to make was that if you are looking for a reliable source of "cutting edge research," for heavens sake find a better source than bodybuilding.com.