Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posterior Chain work

Posterior Chain work

Recently I switched to an upper/lower split. When I posted up the routine, I recieved very little feed back, I am assuming because there wasn't really anything wrong with it.

I was told to omitt DL's from the routine because I was free squating (which I hadn't been before), and doing SLDL's. Even though the DL was probably my best lift, I omitted it because it really didn't fit anywhere.

I am squating and doing SLDL's, but it's with a lot less weight than what I was DLing.
    I'm 6' with long arms and legs, so the DL was a very comfortable lift for me, where as the squat is more difficult.

Is my posterior chain getting worked enough with squats and SLDL's only, even though the weight I work with is light because of my lack of confidence in my form? (mainly on squats)

can you get a vid up of you squatting?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I don't think there's a better exercise for the posterior chain than deadlifts. SLDL's are primarily working your hamstrings, and squats aren't going to give your spinal erectors the direct stimulation that a deads will. I would put them back in at least one workout a week. You could alternate them for another back exercise, on your upper body days.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    can you get a vid up of you squatting?
    To be honest, I don't think my form is all that bad, i'm just really weak coming out of the hole. That's why I have been practicing with moderate to light weight (4me).
    So I don't want to go "heavy" and possibly sacrifice my form. If the weight is too much when I get in the hole, that's when the form tends to alter...i'm sure it's like that for a lot of people. My knees might sway in, or my arse might raise a little bit. I've been trying to go below parallell. You know?

I guess I shouldn't compare my form in the squat to the DL because my proportions are built to DL it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    I don't think there's a better exercise for the posterior chain than deadlifts. SLDL's are primarily working your hamstrings, and squats aren't going to give your spinal erectors the direct stimulation that a deads will. I would put them back in at least one workout a week. You could alternate them for another back exercise, on your upper body days.
    Good Idea. I guess I could alternate them with BO rows.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    Good Idea. I guess I could alternate them with BO rows.
    That'd be good, or even better - drop all deadlifts for a while and alternate cleans with bent over rows. I guarantee you your posterior chain will blow up.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 12-01-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    That'd be good, or even better - drop all deadlifts for a while and alternate cleans with bent over rows. I guarantee you your posterior chain will blow up.
    My gym doesn't have the weights you can drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Don't forget GMs if you drop squats...
    I wont ever drop them, I just need to get stronger when I hit that below parallell 'hole'. I think how I do that is concentrate on staying tight throughout the lift and "spread the floor with my feet" when I am pushing back up.

he meant stop the deadlifts for a while, not physically drop them.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

You don't need to drop the weight on a clean. Just drop it under control until your arms are fully extended, stopping it with your quads. From there, just lower it like a DL. This is what Old school Oly lifters always used to do.

This article really helped me with my squats ... http://www.elitefts.com/documents/causal_friday.htm
    I think I am sitting down and not down and back, and that's why I am having trouble.

3:16
    i do normal deads, stiff legged and squats all on lower body day.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Personally I use parallel squats, box squats and deads on diff weeks. Keeps my posterior chain quite strong.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

GOOD MORNINGS! Do 'em!
    Ok, should I do them on the same day I do SLDL's and stationary lunges?
    That seems like a good day to fit them in, but I'm not sure.
    And should I do them like the guy on EXRX ?

I don't bend over that far, and I look UP when I do 'em. They're like a deadlift, but the bar is across your traps.

You could do 'em on a different day - I sometimes toss in a few sets on an upper body day just for the practice.

All the posterior chain movements in the world won't help you if your muscles aren't firing in a regular sequence. An example being of someone who lunges. Most people are quad dominant so they will land on their toes. However, when they push off they also push off using their toes. How exactly would this help someone build their posterior chain up if they aren't using the right muscles?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

What makes you believe this?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I've had a very, VERY hard time making my quads wake up - I seem to feel most leg work that folks do for quads as "whole leg" work. I've never torn a hamstring, but I've torn a quad many, many times (rectus femoris, both legs at different times).

I understand this can mean my hamstrings dominate my quads, but I'm not entirely sure.

Not that it's that big of a deal, and I've since done a LOT to bring up my quads, but it's something I find interesting.

Your thoughts?

A) Full squats and SLDL's is enough for your lower back if you're doing them properly.
    B) Full squats and conventional deadlifts is enough for your hams if you're doing them properly.

If you don't feel so then pick one of the two and either add
    A) A few sets of hyper extensions
    B) A few sets of hamstring curls
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I've had a very, VERY hard time making my quads wake up - I seem to feel most leg work that folks do for quads as "whole leg" work. I've never torn a hamstring, but I've torn a quad many, many times (rectus femoris, both legs at different times).

I understand this can mean my hamstrings dominate my quads, but I'm not entirely sure.

Not that it's that big of a deal, and I've since done a LOT to bring up my quads, but it's something I find interesting.

Your thoughts?
    It's a tough question to answer over the Internet without doing an assesment. I would simply watch you do various movements, ask questions and look at your programs.

To my knowledge there is no such test that will determine whether you are hamstring or quad dominant. Most trainers, coaches will simply be able to pinpoint a weakness by having a person go through a series of movements.

Other than an imbalance it could be that you're simply overworking them.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo