The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow. Thanks everybody.

Just a few statements:

-Twilomike is right on target as to what I am writing. It is a high school class in which I am writing an essay to send in to colleges (for scholarships and applications). It is not supposed to have traditional essay structure.

-I did not use a thesaurus. I guess I tend to overstate things w/ unnecessary words.

-anyone have a better title suggestion? How about: "knowledge is power"?

In my Humanities class, I usually get a's and b's on my papers, and he says one of my strong points is fluency. And believe me its not easy to get an a in there. So I don't know what my deal is w/ this one. Probably the biggest reason is that I did virtually no outlining or preparation; I was a little bit hurried. Somone said I should just re-write it but I have to turn it in in a few hrs...so I'll try to apply all the advice as best I can. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Follow what Mr Joshua said- a big, shocking, memorable opening line or paragraph is what makes or breaks many college essays- the trick, if you want to call it that, is to engage the reader immediately and to keep at least some part of your essay memorable.

For example, "I was born on the kitchen table during a blizzard: my mother was part of an expedition into Siberian wilderness"... or something like that.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Revised: here is what I'm turning in.

Knowledge is Power

When I get off work, I am grateful for the peaceful warmth of my car after the biting wind and snow. I am thankful to relax in the seat after packing concrete blocks and sheets of plywood around a construction site. Usually I feel hunger pangs and dream of a large, steaming dinner which might be waiting for me at home. I would like nothing better than to take a quick nap on my bed after stuffing myself with a mound of roast beef. Instead, I swig down a protein shake, consume a quick snack, and begin to prime myself for the workout ahead. As I cruise down the interstate back to town, I go through it in my mind; from the warm-up down to the last burning rep.

Most of my childhood, I was small and weak. I thought big, but I knew that I was small; therefore I wanted to be physically bigger as well. I didn’t know what it took to get any bigger, however. As I got older, I began experimenting. Our basement contained (among other things) an ancient pressing bench, along with a barbell and a few plates of iron. I recall long hours of wasted time; completing rep after rep with terrible form, no real routine, and no knowledge of what I was doing. I overtrained my body terribly, lifting every day and biting past the aching, screaming muscle fibers. I never progressed much with this method. In fact, after a time, the overtraining caught up with me and I dropped in strength and energy. Every time I stepped on a scale, a measly 110 lbs stared back at me.

Determined as ever to succeed, I spent hours researching and delving into encyclopedias and web sites of all kinds, learning to separate the garbage (“Build Muscle For Only 59.99 With My Program”) from the good information. I spoke with older and more experienced folks, and little by little began to build up a database of truly useful facts. Meanwhile, my body continued to grow naturally and inch toward its maximum height. When I was ready mentally and physically to “hit it” once more, I analyzed what I had to work with: at five feet and eight inches, I weighed slightly over 120 lbs.

Armed with a little knowledge, some hard-earned experience, and an iron determination, I once again commenced in my quest to make myself stronger. The first order of business was developing a solid nutrition and exercise program. I determined the amount of calories I had to eat in order to gain, and acquired supplements to help me reach those caloric goals. Then, I played personal trainer, and came up with a simple workout routine based around compound exercises. When I was finally ready, I joined a public gym and set to work. I trained with intensity and will power; driving the heavy weight with all my might, fighting the intense burn of lactic acid buildup as I strained with everything I had, ever striving toward a goal. I also began to eat 6 meals a day, gorging myself at every possible opportunity, and loading my system with extra protein.

With every meal I ate and every barbell I battled, I felt victorious. I was finally achieving the dream. With my diet and training set on the right track, I began to experience the rewards. As I consistently met my daily goals, the needle on the scale began to move. The weight plates on the bar began to multiply, more than doubling their previous numbers. My efforts were paying off, and I felt better than ever. My confidence grew and my overall health improved. Ever more motivated, I steadily continued in my training.

I didn’t always want to go to the gym; sometimes I really had to force myself to go. What matters is that I did, time and time again, and my persistence spawned success. 5 Months later, I weighed 145 lbs, and I was much stronger than before. Today, at five feet and nine inches, I weigh in at about 155 lbs and I still plug away consistently at the weights. I am nothing more than average, but I do have a silent pride over what I have been able to achieve.

Organization: chronological
    1st paragraph: set up scene/lead in
    2nd:1st attempts
    3rd:learning new things
    4th:trying again
    5th:results
    6th:conclusion
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal

Marginally better, a C+ maybe.

Your first sentence, arguably the most important of any essay, doesn't even make sense. You're admittedly rushing this essay and it shows.

This essay is supposed to convey a sense of accomplishment, no? Then fer chrissakes how can you write this in your final sentence: I am nothing more than average.... !?!

Again, I get what you're trying to say, but it just ain't working my friend. Give something like this a shot: I may not yet have the bulging muscles that will turn heads at the beach.....

See, even someone who's never picked up a barbell in their life is able to relate to my sentence, and it wraps up your story with an image that points the reader in the direction of where all your hard work is taking you.

I strongly encourage you to NOT submit this with any college applications.

Wannabebig Member
    I think you could do a lot better with your motivation:

"Most of my childhood, I was small and weak. I thought big, but I knew that I was small; therefore I wanted to be physically bigger as well."

Reading this literally, your reason for wanting to be big is that you thought big, but knew you were small. That's not even a reason. You toss in health and confidence at the end with no previous mention of it (which is all kinds of bad), but that's about it.

If you improved on that section, your conclusion would be a lot more meaningful.

I figured somebody would help you with the technical things (your teacher at least), but here's a short list off the top of my head :
    - incorrect usage of ; , : -> ; separates 2 independent clauses
    - unneeded extra words "(among other things)"
    - occassional awkward wording, most of which can be fixed by simplifying
    - stuff that won't make sense to an uninformed audience (quoting "hit it", no definition of compound exercises, etc.)

Getting closer though

Thanks again, guys. This essay just didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but oh well. We'll see what my teacher thinks of it.

Joshua: no, I will not be submitting it with any college applications. I already have a full ride to the university of my choice so its not necessary. I just had to get it done, then I wanted to share it with you guys.

If I need one for another scholarship in the future, I'll write a new essay.
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardgainer169
    I already have a full ride to the university of my choice
    Well done, kiddo!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    I suggest you take out your gr.9 notes and learn the proper structure of an essay.
    You have NO BUSINESS critiquing structure, grammar, spelling, etc.

NONE..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I still think it's true what a lot of people are saying about bb not being a very good topic to talk about. BB just is a really hard topic to talk about to those who don't do it. It's very difficult to sound convincing. For me, talking about bodybuilding is like dancing to architecture. There is of course that motivational article from some magazine that was posted on here ages ago. But even that was written purely for body builders, anyone else what just think the writer was a conceited moron.
    Read 'The Myth of Sysiphus' by Albert Camus, and write a motivational essay on the everyaday struggle of merely existing.

No Information Provided
    Heck I love weight lifting myself, yet I still think most non-literal/scientific writing on the subject I've seen comes off as pretentious and conceited. Nothing against the original poster's essay, the revised version looks very well organized and I'm sure it will get a good grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Also, constant misuse of the, comma.
    :withstupi ...almost every sentance
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Well done, kiddo!
    Thanks Mike! I'm pretty excited about it.
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal

Mr. Puniverse
    I'ts a snoozefest, but Id give it a C. I't average if anything.
    Also, the commas, as a couple people have stated, are being overused.
    Last edited by p0tential; 12-10-2005 at 04:46 PM.
    Rock- "Can somebody just shake planet earth up and down a little and lose all the ****"

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    A solid "B".

And I want a reference page on top of my desk by morning. chop chop

Banned
    I ain't gonna pick this apart...You put it very accurately. Toushe sir. I enjoyed your little essay.

LOL, this was fun to come back and read. I told everyone that I would let you all know how I did on it. So I got on A-. I was surprised, because it really didn't ever turn out like I wanted it to.

But that was a year and a half ago! So there it is, even if noone gives a flying f***!
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal