The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Flick off!

Banned

Flick off!

Congratulations Government of Ontario, you've officially created one of the most supidest logos ever.

Past winners of this award include:

The Province of Ontario's ninja star.....err trillium:

And the City of Toronto's "Toronto Unlimited"....whatever that means.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Uh, okay?
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    That's pretty terrible. A bit racy too.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

I need to get that as a bumper sticker.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 04-25-2007 at 04:43 PM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

It took me a second but I finally saw what you were talking about.
    JESUS KICKS ASS!

Life's too short to live in caution. Life's too long not to live at all.--Van Zandt

It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not.--Van Zandt

MYJOURNAL

MY FITDAY

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I need to get that as a bumper sticker.
    They are available

Squat slowly improving :)
    Red..can i buy them online? lol
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Talking_God View Post
    Red..can i buy them online? lol
    Sure can! http://www.flickoff.org/gear

BTW the official flick off website is www.flickoff.org - just in case any one is interested.

I understand the subcontext... but it's a completely meaningless slogan at face value. It's not a "pun" because that would, by definition, necessitate a dual meaning. What the hell does Flick Off mean, anyway, and what does it have to do with Ontario?
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

What's sad is that your taxes went to some douchebag sitting there for weeks trying to think of the best slogan and logo. Yay government!
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Blame Canada.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I understand the subcontext... but it's a completely meaningless slogan at face value. It's not a "pun" because that would, by definition, necessitate a dual meaning. What the hell does Flick Off mean, anyway, and what does it have to do with Ontario?
    It's the logo for Ontario's attempt to reduce greenhouse emissions. They're asking people to "flick off" their lights. They are also trying to ban the incandescent light bulb in favour of the low-power alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    What's sad is that your taxes went to some douchebag sitting there for weeks trying to think of the best slogan and logo. Yay government!
    In all fairness, this is pretty catchy. What was sad was the "Toronto Unlimited" campaign, an attempt to attract tourists to the City of Toronto, cost a cool $1 million.

I think the government should hire some university students to veto all this shatty marketing stuff. To many old people are trying to create "cool" slogans or marketing campaigns and they just turn out ****ing lame. Like half (ok...all) the commercials on tv are boring and stupid.

A better slogan for this "save electricity" thing would be "Turn off your ****ing lights or we're cutting your power"
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 04-26-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    I better slogan for this "save electricity" would be "Turn off your ****ing lights or we're cutting your power"
    hahahahaha That would be amazing. I'm picturing Dalton McGuinty announcing that at a press conference...

Banned
    FLICK OFF
    Based on what I have read, this thing was already happening when the Ontario Ministry of Environment lent their support. The way you've described it you make it sound like a government boondoggle, which it really does not seem to be. Rather, Ontario's MoE jumped on board AFTER it was already pretty much a fait accompli and after there were already several other sponsors/supporters including Environmental Defence (who are the lead ENGO and seem to be running the PR/communications), Virgin Mobile, Roots, MuchMusic, etc. This kind of bandwagon-jumping for exposure/credit is its own brand of annoying government antics, mind you.

Personally, I kind of like the logo and concept. It's certainly provocative.

Toronto Unlimited
    While $1 million may seem like a lot of $$, campaigns to increase tourism and travel to a city is a very common activity and the payoff can be good. You think it's sad that the money was spent, but the businesses of Toronto pay taxes too and this sort of campaign is one of the ways the city repays its business taxpayers. I can't speak to exactly how all the money was spent, certainly, and I'm not inspired in particular by the new logo/branding. That said, the vast majority of the spending had to have been on the placement of advertising.

Ask someone that owns a hotel or other business impacted by tourists and business travellers and they'll tell you that they appreciate anything the city can do to increase the number of people coming into the city.

Trillium Logo
    I got nothing. It does look kinda like a ninja star. But then, so would almost any stylized trillium. It's a trilaterally symmetrical flower.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    FLICK OFF
    Based on what I have read, this thing was already happening when the Ontario Ministry of Environment lent their support. The way you've described it you make it sound like a government boondoggle, which it really does not seem to be. Rather, Ontario's MoE jumped on board AFTER it was already pretty much a fait accompli and after there were already several other sponsors/supporters including Environmental Defence (who are the lead ENGO and seem to be running the PR/communications), Virgin Mobile, Roots, MuchMusic, etc. This kind of bandwagon-jumping for exposure/credit is its own brand of annoying government antics, mind you.

Personally, I kind of like the logo and concept. It's certainly provocative.
    I agree that it is provocative and will definately get people's attention, no doubt about that. I just think it is hypocritical to adopt this campaign, given the level of political-correctness in our province. (think "Holiday Tree")
    Toronto Unlimited
    While $1 million may seem like a lot of $$, campaigns to increase tourism and travel to a city is a very common activity and the payoff can be good. You think it's sad that the money was spent, but the businesses of Toronto pay taxes too and this sort of campaign is one of the ways the city repays its business taxpayers. I can't speak to exactly how all the money was spent, certainly, and I'm not inspired in particular by the new logo/branding. That said, the vast majority of the spending had to have been on the placement of advertising.

Ask someone that owns a hotel or other business impacted by tourists and business travellers and they'll tell you that they appreciate anything the city can do to increase the number of people coming into the city.
    I understand why it was done, but I think you have to agree the logo blows. They hired a professional company to make a logo that embodies all that is Toronto and, although "unlimited" makes some sense, it's just so bloody boring! I just checked and they actually spent $4 million over 13 months, which included developing the brand and "initial launch of marketing efforts". I put that in quotes beacause I'm not sure what it entails and it could easily account for most of that money.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 04-26-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    It's the logo for Ontario's attempt to reduce greenhouse emissions. They're asking people to "flick off" their lights. They are also trying to ban the incandescent light bulb in favour of the low-power alternatives.
    Aha... well that makes FAR more sense! I thought it was just a random "city motto" or something.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

I smell a global warming thread being born.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    I smell a global warming thread being born.