Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulking is living[By: Rick]........

Bulking is living[By: Rick]........

Hello everybody, my name is Rick, and ive decided that im going to start posting my journals online now. Ive been lifting for a lil over a year, and have a made a lot of gains since then. Right now i weigh 167 pounds, and am around 12% bodyfat or so. My goal is to be over 180 with 8% bodyfat, and to achieve my goals in each lifting exercise. Ive read a lot about nutrition and bbing from this site and others, and im pretty knowledgeable, so im no newbie per se.

I eat really healthy, and i am eating about 3800 cals a day right now. I started my bulk at 3000 cals in late August weighing 157, and have increased my cals about 10 per day. Im gonna keep bulking until sometime around the end of April, and then ill begin a 4 month cut until August. Then ill probably bulk again depending on how i look and what my lifts are. If all goes well i should be about 190 in April, and then ill probably drop 15 pounds to 175 in August at 8% bf and then repeat.

I have over 200g of protein everyday, over 100g of fat, and the rest carbs. I eat Oats, natty pb, milk, ww bread, yogurt, nuts, seeds, tons of fruit, veggies mainly and get about 7.5-10 hrs of sleep depending on if i have to get up early or not.

I workout at home all the time, as i have a bench that includes a squat rack(IDK what id do without that), a pulldown machine i dont use much, and can do leg exts and ham curls on it. I have an olympic 45LB barbell with over 300lbs of weight and adjustable normal dbs that go up to around 60 or so i figure. So i do most of my work with freeweights. I try to lift every other day, but it usually works out to around 3 times a week(Im doing an upper/lower body split now).

I also have a bike and a treadmill that i do most of my cardio on. I run and bike most of the time. And i used to swim in the summer, but i wasnt getting much of a workout compared to the bike and running so i cut that out; plus its getting cold. I do cardio on average 2-3 times a week.

Ok, i think thats about the basics, if you want to know more just ask. My pics are in the attachments, yea im pretty skinny, but not for long!!!!! I just want to make sure im seeing good gains, and slowly bulk at about .5-1LB per week, so i dont get too fat. And look good for the girls too. Id enjoy some constructive critisism and comments. Thanks.

~Rick
    Last edited by RBC13; 12-06-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Pics

Ok, now for the pics i promised earlier here they are. As you can see, i need to improve a lot on my chest/shoulder/arms. Hence my bench is probably my worst lift right now, but im improving on that. You cant see but i have pretty big legs, like 22' or so, idk if you all consider that big but i do. My back is ok id say. I focused more on my lower body my last bulk, and my upper body will recieve most of the focus on this bulk as well as my lower.

My goals are as follows(Current, Goal)

Squat: 210 *8 : 245*6
    Deads: 225 *10 : 275*6
    Bench: 145 *5 : 175 *6
    Chins: BW(170) *8 : BW(190) *9
    W Dips: 50*10: 75*6

I dont know how many of those im going to get, but i am going to get my bench goal one way or another. I hope my chins dont fall with my inc weight. And squats and deads i want to be about there or so. Almost time to work out, im excited.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RBC13; 12-15-2005 at 02:35 PM.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Stronglikebull or full of?
    Man, I remember at 18 looking like that. Great job and keep up the hard work. You lookin studly their dude!! I use to have to swat the chickies away, now at 43 I am workin hard on swatin the flies away! Lol!! Stay after your goals and you will be successfull!! You young dudes keep us old bastages motivated!!
    "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Vince Lombardi

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=BigOldDad

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldDad
    Man, I remember at 18 looking like that. Great job and keep up the hard work. You lookin studly their dude!! I use to have to swat the chickies away, now at 43 I am workin hard on swatin the flies away! Lol!! Stay after your goals and you will be successfull!! You young dudes keep us old bastages motivated!!
    Ha ha thanks for the compliment man. I feel pretty motivated right now, and i hope that i dont ever lose it. I like lifting so much and I wouldnt feel right without it now. Esp for the girls.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

First posted workout.....

OK here's my chest/tris day:

DB Shoulder Press: 35+*8,6 : 30+*8,7
    Weighted Dips: BW(173)+50*6 : 40*7 : 30*7,7
    Inc DB Press: 35+*7,5 : 30s*8

To explain, i use a colon whenever i switch the weights. I use the * as how many reps i do. I use the + to indicate an additional 2.5LBS. This is because im using adjustable dumbells for the lift. So when i put 35+ I mean 35LBS of plates plus the 2.5 from the db itself. So its really 37.5LBS, and its just easier for me to put the plus. If i dont use the plus its bc the dbs arent adjustable. I have some 5,10,20, and 30LB dbs that arent adjustable. So i just put the s at the end so you know that. Like 30s means two 30 LB dbs.

Well anyways, pretty good day for me. My tris were a little sore to begin with bc 4 days ago i did db pullovers for the first time, and that kinda limited my dips and partially bench, but no excuse though. I am very happy with my PR on SPress with 8 reps at 35+ LBS. My previous PR was 5 reps, so i shattered that! My chest and arms were kinda tired on the last few sets for Inc DB press, so i didnt have much to give. I feel kinda pathetic only using 30LB dbs for pressing, but someday i hope thatll change.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

How come you are training your shoulders before your chest?

No flat bench on chest day?
    Are those bench to bench dips, or do you have a dip station at your house?

Nothing wrong with using 30's for pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    How come you are training your shoulders before your chest?

No flat bench on chest day?
    Are those bench to bench dips, or do you have a dip station at your house?

Nothing wrong with using 30's for pressing.
    Thanks for the reply muscleup. Ive been doing flat bench first i think the last 3 times on Chest/Tris day, so i figured id change it up a bit. Plus i wanted a PR on Shoulder Press, since thats one of my main target areas this bulk. I always switch up my routine everyweek. I never do the same order. Ill probably do dips first, then flat bench, then shoulder press next week. And then ill begin with BB flat bench the next week. I like to change things up. But thanks for noticing.

And the dips, they're like a dip station. They're nothing like bench ones. LOL. I dont have a dip station at my house, but I do have the edge of a table and the seat of my bike that are at the same level almost. So i bring my bike over to the table, and i strap on my backpack that i cant believe hasnt broken yet. I do the same for chinups. Hehehehe. I go down to about 90 degrees on the dips, just to get a good stretch and go pretty slow on all my reps. Nothing explosive, i dont want to blow out my shoulders. So i keep everything nice and slow. So far i dont have any major injuries, and id like to keep it that way.

-Rick
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Thanks for the clarification.

Have you reached 1lb/week on your bulk yet?

Thanks for the clarification.

Have you reached 1lb/week on your bulk yet?
    You're welcome. No, i dont think i have reached 1lb/week but im very happy with my success so far. Last time i bulked and went for 1lb per week, i ended up gaining a lot of waterweight/fat i guess more than i wanted to at least. And im hoping to come as close to possibe to keeping my abs. So far theyre still there barely. As long as i can see them when i flex ill be happy, but once they go away that will be a sign to cut.

My lowest weight was 157 about in late August or early September. And now thats at least 167 for me, and my scales kinda under a lil bc someone messed it up a few pounds. But about 10LBS in 14 weeks i figure, so im only a few pounds off. Thats .714LBS per week. And my upperbody is looking very good to me, and all my lifts are going up a lot, so im very happy with my development.

My shoulders feel so sore now, along with my chest and arms, and for some reason my lats. Feels awesome as usual. But i can feel my body growing.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Depending on how big you really want to get, that feeling to cut as soon as you lose your abs might dissapear at some point

If you saw my stomach, you would probably ask when the baby was due. I might cut when I hit 200, or wait until 210.

Depending on how big you really want to get, that feeling to cut as soon as you lose your abs might dissapear at some point

If you saw my stomach, you would probably ask when the baby was due. I might cut when I hit 200, or wait until 210.
    Yea, i dont want to get that big, but i want to be a lot bigger than i am now. I think about 200 is as much as i want to weigh for now, assuming that i dont grow anymore. And also, im eating 3800 cals right now, and if i get to when i get to 200, ill probably have to consume abotu 5000 plus cals a day, and i dont know if i want that for the rest of my life. Once it takes me more than 4000 cals to maintain a six pac, i think ill probably stop gaining there. BBing is really cool, but there are other areas i want to be able to focus on in the future.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Ok, i wasnt going to do any cardio today, but i was talking to this one girl that i went out with, and i felt so energized that i decided to go on the bike before our date.

I did the stationary bike for 30:00 9.67 miles on knot 1. My bike's easiest level is much harder than others for some reason. My sis and my mother have given up on it, and everybody else thats tried it hasnt done too good. So i assume its at a good resistance. Not too much, but good enough for a good workout.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Lower Back/Ham/Abs Workout

I was going to post my workout yesterday, but the site wouldnt load for some reason so here it is:

12/8/05
    Traditional Deads: 225*8,5 : 205*8
    Sumo Deads: 225*8,6: 215*6: 205*8
    Weighted Situps: 20's*10,10,8,7

I tried doing deads the traditional way, but it is just not working out right. I dont see any way how you can keep your back near straight and do those without going near paralell to floor. And i dont want to hurt my back. I kept the bar rubbing against my body and that didnt help, it just felt awkward.

Now on the positive side: I was shocked i could do sumo for my PR before on my 4th set of deads. I probably could have gone higher if i had done this first or not done trad deads at all. I was able to keep my back straight, the bar close, and i felt really good on all the reps. My grip was very good today, event though the last week was kinda iffy. I guess thats what taking a week off does to you. Sumo rocks!!!!!!!!!! Since i did so many sets of deads and am going out of town next time i scheduled for deads, im taking a week off, and am going to shatter my PR. 235*8 im expecting in 2 weeks.

The situps felt real good with pefect form. Going to increase weight next time to 30's or try 25+ if that doesnt work. Back felt real good from this, and oddly enought im not as sore now as usual(the next day). My shoulders still feel pretty sore, but i should be good to go for upper back/bis day on Sat. However if i get off work late and go out with a certain someone, i may take an extra day to rest.

-Rick
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Back/Bis workout

Yesterday was a rest day as i had finals nearly all day and i had worked out 6 days in a row. So heres today's workout:

12/10

DB Inc Bench Rows- 30+*8,9,9,6
    DB Curls- 30s*9,6: 25+*6: 20+*9
    W Chins-BW(174)+20*5.8: 10*5.9: BW(174)*7.5,6

Rating: B+

Positives:New PR for Rows and Curls. Although had same PR over a month ago for curls. Need to see what i can do with it being first in my routine. Improvement on rows from last week. Better form. Still was able to get chest above bar on all chins. No shoulder pain and arms feel worked good. Fast workout.

Negatives: Chins showing signs of decreasing from 20*9 PR. This is due to bw, and i need to find someway to keep my chins near 20*9 by end of bulk. I may have been able to do more chins but it was late and i was tired and had 8 sets involving bis before. Curls better than normal, but not over PR. Had difficulties getting DBs over inc bench to do rows:need to figure something out. Rows didnt decrease as they should have.

Cals are now at 3900. I cant wait to see what im eating when i need to get to 5000.
    Last edited by RBC13; 12-10-2005 at 07:08 PM.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Cardio

Effort: 50%

Did some cardio on bike for 15 minutes. Knot 1, 4.82 miles. My thighs felt kinda tired, so i didnt go for the usual 30. I think i might do something like baskeball or football later to make up. My groin area felt slightly sore so i discontinued,nothing to worry about
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Quads/Calves

Today i felt real good in every area after resting yesterday, and did quads/calves.

Rating: B+

BB Squat: 215*8,6: 205*6,8
    Leg Ext: 115*7,7: 105*8,8
    BB Calves Raise: 105*13,11,10,11

Positives: New PR on squats. First set felt real good, and back very straight, abs tight, squatting down. Good to see all working sets in 200. BB Calves raise went up from last week negligebly, but getting better balance. Knees felt perfect and lower back.12 sets, 6-8 reps is working well.22.5 inches on thighs. Balance on squats very good.

Negatives: Had trouble holding onto bar for squats and all calves raises. I think i picked it up with my arms the second time instead of using my body to raise bar. Need to focus on body pushing it up for initial lift next time. Thats why my third set wasnt 8 reps, and fourth was. Should have been vice versa. Leg exts used to be around 200, but have fellen off the map. I may try them or hanging leg raises first next time. I hate machines with a passion!!!!! Very very minor pain in groin/upper thigh region. Should go away

-Rick
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Cardio

Just rode the bike today.

Effort: B

30:30 9.75 miles on knot 1

My thighs were real sore bc of squats yesterday, but i pounded through it. Was going to give up half way into it, but i saw this health thing on tv, and decided to keep going. Butt was sore while i was riding, but i think its a good sign of squatting.

I have chest/tris day tomorrow, and i cant way. I dreamt that i was working out and i forgot to do dips, so im doing them first this time and then flat DB. Hopefully PR on the dips.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

What's up man. If you're still trying to put on some considerable size, and have a problem gaining weight, trying cutting out all the bike riding and ****. Maybe not ALL, but almost 10miles is quite a bit. Things are looking good tho, just keep at it.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    What's up man. If you're still trying to put on some considerable size, and have a problem gaining weight, trying cutting out all the bike riding and ****. Maybe not ALL, but almost 10miles is quite a bit. Things are looking good tho, just keep at it.
    Yea, i do want to put on a lot of size, but i want my heart to be strong enough as well. And i figure that cardio 2X a week, like an hour wont hurt much for bulking. And i just feel so fat if i dont do any cardio. I used to really hate it, but i dont really mind it that much now that im barely ever doing it. Ive thought about cutting out cardio, but ill try to keep it down from now on.

And about biking, i have pretty big thighs, so i can go pretty fast, and it doesnt really fatigue me. Although, it really sucks the day after deads or squats, so i try to run those days. i just mix it up between running and biking and some swimming in the summer.

Its getting pretty tough to eat 4000 cals now. Food is starting to make me feel like puking at times when i think of it,but ill pull through or die trying. Ive gained about 13lbs so far and ive got 15-17 more, so i hope ill make it. Thanks for the comment Chubrock. You have some really nice lifts, and im hoping that after i finish my bulk ill be closer to yours. Good job with the 50 on the chins. Very nice.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Dip day!!!

Chest and shoulder/tris were ready to get worked today:

Rating:A

Chest/Tris:
    W Dips: BW(174) +57.5*9,7: BW+45*6: BW+40*7
    DB Flat Bench: 45+*6: 40+*7,6,6
    DB Shoulder Press: 30s*7,6: 20+*9

Positiveips were freaking awesome, and i was shocked how easy it felt. My shoulders/r cuff felt great when i was dipping, and my chest felt absolutely great after. The feeling after was very nice and satisfying after i unloaded all that weight. Bench form was very good for last three sets, and for s press. I had nothing left at end, but was happy with spress.Shoulder and chest felt real sore after it.

Negatives: I was hoping i could do 50+ by 8 reps, but i couldnt bc i was too sore from the dips. And my form wasnt good the first time, but i got better as it went on. Thats why i dont like db bench, i dont go down in reps like i should be.

Almost at 4000 cals.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

I decided to rest yesterday and tomorrow bc i was supposed to be in Texas right now. So i did some minimal running cardio today.

Effort:A-

2.10 miles 20:10 6.3MPH

This is about the fastest ive ran in a long time since i did those 1 mile runs of around 87-8MPH or so. I suppose i could run a 7 minute mile if i really had to now. Anything less idk about. But im not really crazy about running. The last few times ive ran i felt like a giant truck running for some reason. I didnt have this feeling the last time i was this weight, so im hoping that its bc of the muscle i gained. But i was up to 175 tonight, so 18 LBS away from 193 in May i hope. I hit 4000 today, and had to add white bread and pasta back in to make food edible anymore.
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Diet

This is about the macro ratio i usually have from fitday:

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 3973
    Fat: 131 1180 30%
    Sat: 21 192 5%
    Poly: 47 421 11%
    Mono: 53 481 12%
    Carbs: 525 1853 47%
    Fiber: 62 0 0%
    Protein: 229 918 23%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Ok sorry guys, but i was kinda busy so i havent posted my last few workouts, and i know youre all dying to know. Well here they are.

12/19 Back Bis

Rating- B+

BB Curl- 75*8,5: 70*7: 65*8
    W Chins- BW(175)+20*6.7: 10*6.5: BW*7.5,5.7

Positives: Set a new curl record. Woo hoo, take that curl jockeys. My prev PR was 6 reps of 75 a month before. Slowly progressing. LOL. But im very glad to see a lot of progress in my biceps. I remember when i was repping 45*12 or so a while back, but thats good to see. I keep my back straighter than anybody, and only use my arms for curls with a slightly wide grip. I ws suprised i got 6 chins bc my bis were so tired. If i had done Chins first, i would be close to my PR/goal by end of bulk so it is on target.

negatives: I had to end the workout early to go see King Kong. I loved that movie, the dinosaurs and all. Pretty cool stuff. And my shoulder felt a lil sore before i did the exercises, but went away afterward. im starting to think that benching heals the same muscles that doing chins does and vice versa. Cant have an imbalance i guess. My bench is going up though i will go for a PR on Saturday the 24th of Dec.

12/20- Cardio- Biking

Effort A-

30:30 9.67 miles knot 1

I cant think of any comments. Was pretty good.

12/21 Quads/Abs

Rating- A-

BB Squat- 220*8,6: 210* 7,6
    Hang Leg Raise - BW * 8,7,7,7
    Leg Ext- 115*6: 100*6: 95*8,8

Positives: New squat record, as you can tell since i bolded/underline it. Previous was 215*8 9 days ago or so. I could have possibly done more too, but my legs felt a lil off that day. I was shocked i was able to get 7 reps on my leg raises for my last set.

Negatives: My squat form on the last two sets was a little bit shaky. I would have had more reps, but my feet couldnt stay balanced. And i took the bar off wrong. I need to fix that. I go a lil past parallel right now, and im thinking of doing ATF. I would rather have the full range of motion with perfect from than kinda shaky with less ROM. I will have to see how that goes. Will probably drop the weight to 150 for working sets, but i willl begin very light to make sure i dont get stuck under there with no one to help me.

Also my leg exts are driving me crazy. They go down every week, and i used to be able to do 185*15 reps, but now i couldnt even do one rep. My form is not that different, same ROM and the only difference was i put Leg exts before squats. I think i will do squats last next time to change things up. Any comments? I would really appreciate it and on ATF squats.

-Rick
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

Cardio combo

Effort: 90%

Bike 18:00 5.85 miles 1
    Running 12:00 1.17 miles 5.9MPH

My thighs felt real sore halfway into the workout, so i had to switch to running. Was to side of thigh, not sure if its from squats yesterday. But im gonna work more on my squat form, try to do ATF, and lower weight obviously. I felt like a giant bus when i was riding or running, thats what im pretending when i do cardio from now on. I feel a lot heavier than when i was this weight last year and more. Hit 176 last night. My daily range is now 170-176. Bulks looking good, abs are doing fine.

Rick
    Bulking is living.

Bench 165*4

My advice would be to always do squats first, no matter what. It's such a taxing lift on the CNS you almost need to be as fresh as possible before hitting them good.
    Also, leg extentions are "okay", but you might find that a solid lunge would probably benefit you more. It's a lot more compound than an iso extention, and it might even help you with your shaky squat form.

BUT, I know how much you like to "change things up", soooo I'm sure you will do what you want.