Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nintendo Revolution Info (For Those Who Care)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

New Nintendo Revolution Info (For Those Who Care)

More Revolution Specs Uncovered

Developers come forward to reveal new performance details on Nintendo's next-generation console.

by Matt Casamassina

December 6, 2005 - Just yesterday IGN Revolution launched with technical details on Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution. And today more development sources have come forward with both clarification and even more tech specs. The latest news begins to paint a clearer picture of Nintendo's aim with its next platform.

We cannot stress this enough: Revolution is not being positioned as a competitor to either Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Nintendo has instead chosen to design a console that will be very affordable for consumers. For that very reason, say developers in the know, the Big N has opted out of filling the system with a massive supply of expensive RAM.
    In yesterday's article, we wrote that Revolution would include 128MBs of RAM, or possibly less. Developers have clarified the makeup based on officially released Nintendo documentation. Revolution will build on GameCube's configuration of 24MBs 1T-SRAM and 16MBs D-RAM (40MBs) by adding an addition 64MBs of 1T-SRAM. The result is a supply of memory in Revolution that totals 104MBs. That number does not consider either the 512MBs of allegedly accessible (but hardly ideal) Flash RAM or the Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, said to be 3MBs by sources.

Revolution's Broadway CPU, developed by IBM, is an extension of the Gekko CPU in GameCube, according to official Nintendo documentation passed to us by software houses. The Hollywood GPU, meanwhile, is believed to be an extension of the Flipper GPU in GameCube. Since developers have not gone hands-on with the GPU, they can only go on Nintendo documentation, which is limited.

Exact clock rates were not disclosed, but one development source we spoke to had this to say of the Revolution CPU and GPU: "Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done."

We presented that description to another informed studio, which clarified that the clock rates may even fall short of doubling those on GameCube.

"The CPU is the same as Gekko with one and a half to two times the performance and improved caching," said a source. "Our guys experimented with it and think they'll be able to get about twice the performance as GameCube."

"It's a gamble for the Big N," said another source. "It's not about horsepower for them -- it's about innovation and gameplay."

We've also been able to unearth firm details on the storage capacity for Revolution discs. Recent rumors suggesting that the discs can hold 12GBs of data are false. In fact, Revolution discs can store 4.7GBs of data on a single layer or 8.5GBs when double-layered on a single-side. This is a massive jump from the 1.5GB capacity of GameCube discs and more than enough storage capacity for any non-high-definition game.

Readers discouraged by Revolution's seeming lack of horsepower when compared to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 should remember that Nintendo is not interested in competing in the high-definition gaming arena, and as a standard-definition console, Revolution is more than capable. Capcom's Resident Evil 4 remains one of the most gorgeous games this generation and it ran on GameCube, a console at least half as powerful according to developer reports.

Software houses we spoke with also waxed on the immediate advantage to Nintendo's approach with Revolution, which is, of course, system price. Every developer was in agreement that Revolution should launch with a price tag of $149 or lower. Some speculated that based on the tech, a $99 price point would not be out of the question.

Stay tuned for more as it develops.
    Source: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.html
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

wow.........seems like nintendo is trying to take a completely different road than sony and m$. I think they realized that they cannot compete with those two, and it will probably be a system for the cheap, or a second console for those that have one of the other big two. I think that they will be ok if it launches at a relatively low price.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

I think that they will be ok if it launches at a relatively low price.
    The article says they predict anywhere from $99-$149. That's pretty low for a launch price.

Personally I think Nintendo is going to take over the console market. They are basically saying "**** graphics, give us gameplay." Everything about the system is built for innovative and more importantly, fun gameplay. Add in the fact that it will be a never before seen controller concept and you have something very competetive imo.

Notice how every game you can play on Playstation 2 or Xbox(or 360) you could play on a previous console with almost exactly the same gameplay, the only difference is graphics, and the conclusion I have come to is that graFix R boring. Who cares if your model has 8 millions polys? That doesnt entertain me for any longer than it takes me to look at the entirety of the image. Can anyone name a single game they played for longer than a week where the graphics were the selling point? I dont think such a thing exists.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    Personally I think Nintendo is going to take over the console market. They are basically saying "**** graphics, give us gameplay." Everything about the system is built for innovative and more importantly, fun gameplay. Add in the fact that it will be a never before seen controller concept and you have something very competetive imo.

Notice how every game you can play on Playstation 2 or Xbox(or 360) you could play on a previous console with almost exactly the same gameplay, the only difference is graphics, and the conclusion I have come to is that graFix R boring. Who cares if your model has 8 millions polys? That doesnt entertain me for any longer than it takes me to look at the entirety of the image. Can anyone name a single game they played for longer than a week where the graphics were the selling point? I dont think such a thing exists.
    I definantly agree, but I must say graphics are the first thing that catches my eye. If I see a game that looks beautiful, it makes me want to play it. Now if the gameplay sucks, it's not gonna make me buy a sequel, or continue playing it, but graphics definantly catch my eye. Why would you buy a high end computer to run games on ultra-high when you can run them on low with the same gameplay? Its the graphics, they appeal to the eye, lol. But I do agree gameplay is definantly more important in the long run.

Can anyone name a single game they played for longer than a week where the graphics were the selling point? I dont think such a thing exists.
    Graphics mean nothing if the gameplay is terrible. Gameplay is the most important aspect. That's why I still play old NES games and whatnot, cuz they're still addicting. But gameplay PLUS great graphics will make everything all the more enjoyable. Gameplay cannot be left out or focused very little on.

Yeah I'm with you guys on this one. There are absolutely tons of games out that with great graphics but the very few that I take the time to play are the ones whose gameplay I like.

Edit: I am constantly re-getting games that are years old and playing them because they're so much fun.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 12-06-2005 at 11:40 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

What I wonder is if they don't care about improving graphics, why don't they just release the new controller as a gamecube peripheral like Sony's Eyetoy?

There are still a lot of things Nintendo hasn't revealed about the Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet
    What I wonder is if they don't care about improving graphics, why don't they just release the new controller as a gamecube peripheral like Sony's Eyetoy?
    Because to the general user, they want some kind of upgrade in the graphics department, and suppossivley you will be able to download all the games from the previous systems (excluding the gamecube i think) and play them right there on the revolution.

(excluding the gamecube i think)
    I think even GC is included in the bunch...not quite sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nongan
    Because to the general user, they want some kind of upgrade in the graphics department, and suppossivley you will be able to download all the games from the previous systems (excluding the gamecube i think) and play them right there on the revolution.
    It takes more than a minor upgrade to warrant the purchase of a new console.

Gamecube has online capabilities. If they released a peripheral hard drive as well (like the PS2), they could include downloadable games on the gamecube as well.

It will still be "new". And every console generation lasts around 5-7 years. The GC will most certainly die out during that time period and Nintendo will have a much harder time staying in the console market if they don't sell something new. There's no point in adding on to the GC, seeing as this is the end of this gen in the next year or so.

It takes more than a minor upgrade to warrant the purchase of a new console.

Gamecube has online capabilities. If they released a peripheral hard drive as well (like the PS2), they could include downloadable games on the gamecube as well.
    That would require a complete revamp of all the games (coding wise)to play on the gamecube. They would have to recode every game to run on the new system (i.e. only certain xbox games working w/ the xbox 360). Plus the article said that the revolution will have nearly twice the power. Thats a substanital upgrade in graphics. Xbox 360 > Revolution > Xbox. The Revolution will have good graphics and great gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Graphics mean nothing if the gameplay is terrible. Gameplay is the most important aspect. That's why I still play old NES games and whatnot, cuz they're still addicting. But gameplay PLUS great graphics will make everything all the more enjoyable. Gameplay cannot be left out or focused very little on.

Exactly, graphics are meant to enhance gameplay. For some reason it has become a popular notion that you can build a game on the foundation of great graphics and put gameplay secondary.

I was actually talking with my friend the other day about why all the old NES/SNES/PS games were so fun, and I realized its because they didnt have good graphics, they had to focus on fun, addictive gameplay. Plus back then having a brutal game that was politically incorrect was novel and interesting, now its stale and played out.

That is not a substantial upgrade in power. Look at the XBOX360. On paper it is miles ahead of the XBOX, but the games look only marginally better. Apparently the clockspeed won't even be doubled on Revolution. That would make it about as fast as the first XBOX.

EDIT: I should mention that I am assuming the latest info from developers posted on IGN is true. It hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo, so I may well be proven wrong about the power of the system.

And no, they wouldn't have to recode all of the games. They just have to write an emulator for the gamecube. I have a friend whose Xbox has genesis, SNES and NES emulators on it, so you can play games from any of those systems on it (hundreds of them are installed on the hard drive).

What's the point in making it "new" if they could have saved the consumer a bunch of money by only making him buy the new bits that were worthwhile?
    Last edited by DokterVet; 12-07-2005 at 09:04 AM.

That is not a substantial upgrade in power. Look at the XBOX360. On paper it is miles ahead of the XBOX, but the games look only marginally better. Apparently the clockspeed won't even be doubled on Revolution. That would make it about as fast as the first XBOX.

EDIT: I should mention that I am assuming the latest info from developers posted on IGN is true. It hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo, so I may well be proven wrong about the power of the system.

And no, they wouldn't have to recode all of the games. They just have to write an emulator for the gamecube. I have a friend whose Xbox has genesis, SNES and NES emulators on it, so you can play games from any of those systems on it (hundreds of them are installed on the hard drive).

What's the point in making it "new" if they could have saved the consumer a bunch of money by only making him buy the new bits that were worthwhile?
    You dont write emulators for compatability among consoles dude. It's called a port. You change enough code to make the game run on the new platform while keeping the majority of it intact to save time. Emulators are ridiculously slow compared to the original console, this is why it's only popular for old school games.

Clockspeed isn't everything. Look at an AMD or Motorola compared to an Intel.

I would personally rather pay for something with everything included. I can't stand it when people like Sony release something (eg. PS2) without the hard drive, or net capability, or whatever.... and then charge for the extra parts. Seems like a money-grubbing technique to me. I guess this only applies if you don't have the previous generation's console though.

Apparently the clockspeed won't even be doubled on Revolution. That would make it about as fast as the first XBOX.
    They're two completely different architectures, which makes your comparison meaningless.

nintendo needs to diversify their game selection. i still think of them as a "kiddie" console maker. i hope they succeed, cuz most of the games released nowadays are pretty bad in the gameplay dept.

Do you own a GC or are you just saying that because it's the popular thing to do?

i don't own any consoles, but that image is in my brain. like smash bros, mario, metroid, star wars, etc... what are some more 'adult' games besides RE4?

You've fallen into the stereotype then and don't have enough knowledge of the games for GC to actually form your own opinion.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    You've fallen into the stereotype then and don't have enough knowledge of the games for GC to actually form your own opinion.
    Prove him wrong.

I agree that Nintendo has targeted a lower age group than either the XBox or the PS.

I don't agree that they ONLY make "kiddie" games.

So what's your stance?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Grasshoppa
    You confuse their priorities. Just because they don't prioritize improved graphics like the PS3 and 360 doesn't mean that they won't improve them. And just like the other 2 consoles, there will be lots of different upgrades that we don't know about.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park