The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

First Time Tanning

What do I need?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A tanning bed/booth and skin.

Optionally : the sun
    Preferably: melanin
    Last edited by galileo; 12-09-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Banned
    I heard a rumor I need lotion.

Also do I need to bring a towel?

What about a sock for my guy downstairs, and how long should I tan on each side my first time?

If you're going to a salon, they can answer each and every one of your questions with ease. Most provide towels, your "guy downstairs" will be fine, and tanning accelerator is not necessary.

the bed will tan both sides u dont need to flip. if its ur first time and ur pale, u should put a 10 SPF on before. Don't go the full time, and use aloe lotion afterwards.

Make sure you go to a place with some hot chicks workin the counter.
    This is crucial to the tanning experience.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Quote Originally Posted by bschatz88
    Make sure you go to a place with some hot chicks workin the counter.
    This is crucial to the tanning experience.
    You aren't kidding.

Both sides will get tan, no need to flip...you will probably want to put on lotion afterwards, you're not supposed to take a shower for a couple hours afterwards either...and I wouldn't worry about a sock for downstairs...I've went about 10 times so far and have never been burnt.

You will need some goggles too, the place will supply you with them...no need for anything else..

the shower thing works both ways. say you went tanning and you feel like you were in there two long and you might burn, TAkE a cold shower when you get home. but other then that wait at least two hours before you shower. you dont need to flip however you want to move so often, to prevent spots on your back and butt. if your pale like me i would go no longer then 7 or 8 mins the first time, and i would put a towel on your junk and on your but for half the time. nothing worse then sun burn in your crack. i have some articals about the shower thing and the moving thing, but im going to sleep right now
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by mikey4402
    the shower thing works both ways. say you went tanning and you feel like you were in there two long and you might burn, TAkE a cold shower when you get home. but other then that wait at least two hours before you shower. you dont need to flip however you want to move so often, to prevent spots on your back and butt. if your pale like me i would go no longer then 7 or 8 mins the first time, and i would put a towel on your junk and on your but for half the time. nothing worse then sun burn in your crack. i have some articals about the shower thing and the moving thing, but im going to sleep right now
    The whole "Wait before you shower" rumor is just that... A rumor. Some people believe that you shouldn't take a shower especially if you use a bronzing lotion so the bronzers can set into the skin. Well, this is done during the tanning process and it isn't going to make a difference if you shower immediately afterwards or not. It's a debated topic and there are articles supporting not showering for X amount of time and articles that say it doesn't matter. It's up to you to decide. I personally hate how I smell after I tan, so I shower immediately. I never tanned slower than people that didn't shower for a specific amount of time... Which is why I looked into it and realized it was just a misunderstanding. So, unless you want to smell like burnt skin for a few hours after, I'd shower.

I used to work at my sisters tanning salon and I was forced to become educated on it all, so I'll give you some tips from what I learned:

1) If you're pale, DO NOT use a sunblock like someone else recommended. That defeats the purpose of using the tanning bed for fast results. What you're supposed to do is build up by going in for short times at first and build up your time as you develop your base. Say you're using a 20 minute bed (meaning, 20 minutes max in one session), if you're seriously pale, start with 12 minutes for the first 3 sessions. Then bump it up to 14 minutes for 3 sessions, then 16, and so on... I do this when I take a large amount of time off from tanning and I don't burn. The only time I burn is when I get cocky and jump in there for longer than I should have.

2) Yes! Use Lotion! Not just any lotion. Your tanning salon will have lotions for sale that are for indoor tanning use. They have bronzers, tinglers, cooling lotions and all sorts of neat items. However, the main thing is that they help you hold your tan MUCH Longer if you use an indoor lotion as opposed to not using one. Not to mention they help in keeping your skin from drying up as easily and peeling. If you use a lotion with a bronzer, wash your hands immediately after applying the lotion to your skin. This is because your hands won't accept the bronzing. The skin on your hands will become streaked and look amazing ugly. Your hands don't tan or accept bronzers like the rest of the skin on your body. So, as long as you wipe your hands clean after to apply this stuff, you're good to go.

You can NOT use an outdoor tanning lotion in a tanning bed! Not only is everything different when you're tanning in a bed, you're laying on acrylic. Outdoor tanning lotions have different chemicals in them that are harmful to the acrylic of the bed and will eat up the acrylic in a very short time period. Trust me, I've seen it. While they may not be your beds, I'm sure you still respect the business owners property. I mean, you're paying to use it. Plus outdoor tanning lotions can have an adverse effect on your tanning session. So don't go blaming the beds or owner of the salon if you're using an outdoor tanning solution and you don't get the results you want.

3) Use googles wisely. However, always use them. Googles are essential. They definitely help protect your eyes from long term bed use. However, to avoid "Racoon eyes", shift your googles around your eye area. In other words, don't just sit them on your eyes and leave them there the whole session. If you move them around in different spots every 3 or 4 minutes of your sesssion, this helps every area around your eyes tan and you avoid the "racoon eye" look (white rings around the eyes with a tan face).

4) Flipping is necessary if you don't want tan marks. In a bed, you'll typically get untan spots under your arms, right below the cheeks of your butt and two spots right where your shoulder blades press up against the acrylic. Just flip over about half-session and just turn your head from one side to another when you're flipped over. However, what I do is find a salon with a stand-up bed and make sure I get in that bed every so often to avoid such an obvious and abrupt tan marks on my back and butt.

5) A towel on your junk is obviously a good idea. However, I always used a sock.

Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    3) Use googles wisely. However, always use them. Googles are essential.
    OMG I USE TEH GOOGLES WISELY!!!1~!!!!~!~~

http://images.google.com/images?q=ca...ie&btnG=Search

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    OMG I USE TEH GOOGLES WISELY!!!1~!!!!~!~~

http://images.google.com/images?q=ca...ie&btnG=Search
    I'm sorry... I do that all of the time.

Also at work, in e-mails I'll type "user" instead of "use" due to me using Unix all the time and typing commands like "useradd" a lot and also google instead of goggles... Hey, I'm a geek... give me a break. The amount of times I type google in a day... I can't even tell you.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD
    the bed will tan both sides u dont need to flip. if its ur first time and ur pale, u should put a 10 SPF on before. Don't go the full time, and use aloe lotion afterwards.
    NO.
    1) The idea of a tanning bed is to administer a controlled dose of UVA/UVB. Putting on sunscreen is not neccessary.
    2) The Salon operator should "Type" your skin 1-4 and adjust your time acccordingly.
    3) The Sunscreen contains ingredients that can/will permanently haze the acrylic which is expensive and the cost will be passed on as the prohibited lotions are listed cleaerly.

also.
    Using lotion will yield better longer lasting results...unless...
    You are trying to dry your skin out to do away with acne.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    NO.
    1) The idea of a tanning bed is to administer a controlled dose of UVA/UVB. Putting on sunscreen is not neccessary.
    2) The Salon operator should "Type" your skin 1-4 and adjust your time acccordingly.
    3) The Sunscreen contains ingredients that can/will permanently haze the acrylic which is expensive and the cost will be passed on as the prohibited lotions are listed cleaerly.

also.
    Using lotion will yield better longer lasting results...unless...
    You are trying to dry your skin out to do away with acne.
    haha! Thanks for putting what I said into an easier to read, shorter description.

and flipping on a tanning bed is a good way to put an elbow/knee through a 150.-250 acrylic..
    Use a standup to eliminate white spots.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

haha! Thanks for putting what I said into an easier to read, shorter description.
    No problem.
    I designed salons and trained a few salon owners in your neck of the woods.
    God, I'm still "SmartTan" certified and I'll never go back to the business.

No problem.
    I designed salons and trained a few salon owners in your neck of the woods.
    God, I'm still "SmartTan" certified and I'll never go back to the business.
    Umm... Your name wouldn't happen to be Josh, would it? Did you help setup Tabootan at all?

HAHAHA! Josh, he found you out!

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    HAHAHA! Josh, he found you out!
    Indeed!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...postcount=1400

I'm April's brother. The skinny guy that was DJing at TabooTan that day you came there. I've gained 20lbs since then.

Wow, that is a conveniently placed picture.

Umm... Your name wouldn't happen to be Josh, would it? Did you help setup Tabootan at all?
    No ****ing way. Is this dean??!!!

No ****ing way. Is this dean??!!!
    haha! Yep.

Dude!! I saw you say you helped your sister..and the thought went through my mind. LOL. I just added April on Myspace and sent you a request a few days ago.

You sure you sent me a request? I never received it...