Thread: My small review of Opticen

My small review of Opticen

I received some Opticen last Friday. I have been using Muscle Milk and also some weight gainers for a while before this. Here is what I think of it so far:

As far as taste, it's pretty good! I have the Chocolate. It actually tastes like chocolate and not like some chocolate "malt", chocolate "crap" or chocolate "expired". Actually, to me, it tastes kind of like "Count Chocula" cereal.

Drinkability... Well, I'm a little disappointed with this. It's extremely thick. I can honestly say I've never had any shake ever that has been this bloody thick. With water or with milk, it's almost like I can chew it! I have to suck it out of my shaker. I use 20oz of milk or water with my shake. While mixing with milk will make it a lot thicker, with water it's not much better. I still have to suck it out of the opening of my shaker. It's literally as thick as a milkshake. I add milk almost always so I can get the extra calories in the shake. An extra 210 calories is much needed by me. I would just mix it with water and then drink some milk after, but it's less convienient when I'm on the go and also, as I said, it's just not that much different with water.

Mixability... Great. I have yet to make a shake where I'm actually eating bits of unmixed powder instead of drinking it! This is a big plus.

The price is pretty good being that there are 23 servings per container.

Overall, I like it. However, the thickness of the shake is awful. It's hard to drink and I can see myself getting sick of this stuff very easily with consistency like that. Having to suck a shake out of the shaker is awful. If you want to pound a shake back before or after a workout or because you're on the go, you can't with this. Be prepared to sit down and work on this shake. The thickness forces you to take a gulp, wait, take another. I think I've seen one other weight gainer that is as thick as this stuff but it requires 4 scoops and also has 600 calories per serving. The other weight gainers I've tried (Heavyweight, Cyto Gainer, IDS Smart Gainer, Muscle Milk) all have more calories/carbs (except Muscle Milk) and the consistency of the shake is much much easier to consume which makes me wonder why this shake is so thick, yet lacks as many calories/carbs. Is there a good reason for this, AtLarge?
    Last edited by intargc; 12-12-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Phatboy
    Why not just use more milk/water to thin it out a little bit?

Well, my shaker is only so big... I have a 30oz shaker. After I put the Opticen in and fill it up with Milk, I have maybe 1/4 of an inch to spare to shake it up... Besides, the instructions call for 18 - 20oz water or milk. I'd need a big ass shaker to put more water/milk in to thin it out.

I use Cytogainer...this stuff is unreal good. 4 scoops cyto, 3 cups milk, 2 tbsp PB = ~1100 cals

I've used it and thought it was the worst tasting stuff in the world... I had chocolate and vanilla and both of them made gag everytime I drank it. I mean, I'm not expecting things to taste great, but at least not taste like pure crap. I actually have half a 3lb jub left of the Chocolate Cytogainer because I couldn't take it anymore.

I know what we say on the bottle but just mix it with more liquid. I mix 1 scoop in about 8 oz of water and it has a very nice consistency.

What I sugest is that you just mix 2 shakes with with 1/2 the powder in each. That will make the consistency just right.

The reason for the thickness is that it is an MRP and it has thickening agents which are designed to help make you feel full.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!