The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Pull ups Struggling?

I recently tried to do some pull ups and i struggle with them, I keep a shoulder width length but i do 3 and im wasted. What can i do to improve my reps in this.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just practice , youll eventually get better, kinda weird though I weight more then you and am taller but you lift a bit more and I can do quite a few chins.

i have similar stats to you weight and height wise (i can't match your lifts though) and i too struggle after 3... i just cant get anymore... i think this has been covered before and most people just say to train pullups more.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Yeah as it turns out 3 reptitions/set is a good number for increasing strength. For a few weeks when you work out lats just do a couple sets of pull-ups of as many reps as you can do (which will probably start at 3 and eventually start increasing). You'll be fine.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

you can pyramid it, which will allow you to do alot more reps in a given workout and its kind of fun
    bw x 1
    bw x 2
    bw x 3
    bw x 4 , etc until you cant rep anymore, than start at the bottom again and do this for 3-5sets.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week

Use twice the weight, get twice as strong.

either go back to pulldowns until you can handle your bodyweight 10x's, have a spotter help you get some forced reps on pullups, or add some weight and do some negatives.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If you have access to a smith machine, set the bar at about eye level, and use the tips of your toes to help on the concentric part (up), and then don't allow your feet to help you on the eccentric (down).

I set the bar at the highest level of the SM and do my regular pullups, usually set reps are like 7,5,4 and then I lower the bar to eye lvl and do the forced reps with a semi slow negative.

I used to do as many sets as needed until I got a total of 30 reps. I also did assisted reps after I could no longer do one on my own.

Pulldowns are ok, but I think if you can do assisted chins/pullups it would be a lot more beneficial.

Muscleup has a good idea on how you can assist yourself.

With all that being said, pullups/chins are like any other exercise, give it 110% on a consistent basis and you will build strength gradually. Proper diet and rest will help as well!
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Mint
    Do three sets once a week to failure for a few months.

OR

Do three sets twice a week one rep short of failure for a few months.

The number of reps you can do will double or triple in that time.

Now excuse me for laughing at your claim of being 17, weighing 180, squatting 400 pounds while not being able to do more than four pull-ups.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

I'm 5"11 (almost), and 180lb. I dont think I could get near your "big three" lifts, but I can do 10 wide grip pull ups, with full steady ROM. It just takes practise... Did you neglect your lats/back/forearms while training for those big lifts?

I could only do maybe 5-6 a year ago. Just keep doing them, and use full ROM and hang clean down...

I'd do more than 3x3 per work-out though... Probably looking at 3, 3, 3, 2, 2. Then hit the lat pulldown machine. Twice a week.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    If you have access to a smith machine, set the bar at about eye level, and use the tips of your toes to help on the concentric part (up), and then don't allow your feet to help you on the eccentric (down).

I set the bar at the highest level of the SM and do my regular pullups, usually set reps are like 7,5,4 and then I lower the bar to eye lvl and do the forced reps with a semi slow negative.
    yeap Built's smith pull-ups. i'm telling you man it might sound stupid but it's a killer pull-up workout.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by HvT_StiNs_47
    I recently tried to do some pull ups and i struggle with them, I keep a shoulder width length but i do 3 and im wasted. What can i do to improve my reps in this.

What is your lifting history like? You have a very strange ratio in your big three, its unusual for lifts to be distributed like that, could be related to whatever is holding you back on pull ups, perhaps you have neglected certain body parts in the past?

You are a MUCH stronger presser than puller.

My max bench is 240 lbs. and I can pullup BW+25 x 5 weighing 200 lbs. Just keep working at it.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Wannabebig Member
    I am confused on this smith thing what am I actually doing with the bar at eye level. what kind of pull up is this? sorry for being stupid?

I can do give or take 2 , 16 pull ups to failure.
    I would like to increase that

From what I understand of my reading the description (and somebody correct me), you do this:

Set the bar at eye-level.

Grip the bar as you would for a pull-up.

Bend your knees until you are hanging from the bar at that level.

Unbend your knees so that you can assist your pull - push with your toes just enough to get up.

On the way down, take your toes off the ground and let yourself down easy.

Did I get that right?

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    From what I understand of my reading the description (and somebody correct me), you do this:

Set the bar at eye-level.

Grip the bar as you would for a pull-up.

Bend your knees until you are hanging from the bar at that level.

Unbend your knees so that you can assist your pull - push with your toes just enough to get up.

On the way down, take your toes off the ground and let yourself down easy.

Did I get that right?
    yep

Skinny Fatass
    I have had a similar struggle with pullups (widegrip palms facing forward). See my spreadsheet in my journal for the progression (or lack thereof) in that category.

Think I will incorporate some of these suggestions to my WBB1 routine to help this area. Thanks!

Stop doing wide grip pullups, period.

If you're struggling with pullups, do chinups as they will be slightly easier.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Skinny Fatass
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Stop doing wide grip pullups, period.

If you're struggling with pullups, do chinups as they will be slightly easier.
    Chinups vs. Pullups? Is the difference the grip? I am assuming that pullups are palms facing forward, while chinups are palms facing inwards...both done approximately shoulder distance apart...

thx,

Mint
    Chin-ups are with a supinated grip, your palms are facing you.

Pull-ups are with a pronated grip, your palms are facing away from you. You are looking at the back of your hand.

Chin-ups are easier as it involves the bicep more.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

negatives work like a charm, i've been steadily increasing my pull up max.. still not enough as i'd like htough
    I don't have time. I make time.