Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility in Strength Training

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

Flexibility in Strength Training

As I've gotten myself deeper and deeper into strength training/powerlifting over the past year or two I noticed that certain imbalances are quite easy to experience in this sport. Namely inflexibility and muscle imbalances.

I have become quite inflexible over the years and as a result I have seen several serious injuries, one of which I am currently in the midst of, which does not allow me to squat or deadlift. Is there a flexibility regimen that is tailored towards those that practice strength training?

I realize the short answer of this question is simply to "stretch". I like guidelines and previously tested methods. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If there is an article I missed on elitefts.com or another valuable resource, feel free to throw it at me.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Nash--I read though the elite article already. It looks like there is to be a continuation. I'm lazy and haven't looked to see if this has been done. Any information on this?
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

PDF only:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/GA-Phase-2.pdf

LMAO:
    "From Alwyn to All
    I can do a negative with 900lbs in the squat. An explosive negative; very explosive. Rock bottom, too. AC"
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 11-07-2005 at 12:09 PM.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Justin, it's time for you to start using a smith machine:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=810548

I can't give you definate guidelines, but I seriously suggest you start doing a "dynamic warm-up" before your training sessions. It will take a lot out of you at first, especially if you are inflexible to begin with, but you will get used to it after a few weeks. I think there is a tape by DeFranco that elitefts.com sells and it's probably pretty good.

Chris Doyle (UofIA strength coach) detailed a lot of dynamic warm-up movements in his strength camp and many of them were lunges and lunge variations and various calisthenics. I could try to find my notes but I think a lot of them were on another forum that got wiped out - I'll see what I can do...

Edit = Here is a site that gives some information and isn't trying to sell you a video. http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/Exer...DynamicWarmUp/ If I ever have time to take pics and write something decent up, I will (maybe around Christmas).

I would really recommend you start doing slow-static stretches on your days-off too. It won't hurt your strength and it's just smart, preventative medicine.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-11-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Neuromuscular re-education saved my football career, I suggest you look in to it.

Bands can be utilized very well for this.

Kc

this has helped by flexibility and balance a lot.

Iron Yoga

you can get the dvd
    Last edited by russ; 11-13-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by russ

Iron Yoga

you can get the dvd
    http://www.ironyoga.com/bio.html
    That guy is a "Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor"!!! If that isn't bad-ass, then I don't know what is...

The Tuna Tempter
    Hey Justin, I highly recommend you buy Pavel Tsatsouline's book titled 'Relax Into Stretch'. I"ve got it, and it's fantastic. I've been sticking to a proper stretching routine for about a week and a bit now, and I could do the splits within a few stretching sessions. I'm not yet completely comfortable right at the bottom of the split, still need to work on that, but I think it's awesome that using Pavel's methods have allowed me to achieve this in such a short time frame.

Basically Pavel's thoughts are to cause the muscle to relax hence allowing it to stretch via training of the nervous system and developing strength in the stretched positions, rather than your traditional 'physically stretch the muscle to change it's mechanical properties' school of thought.

Edit: Oh and I'll add that I've had chronic muscle tightness problems for quite a while, and I've been stretching using the traditional approach, but it never seemed to help, I was always still tight even after stretching. Using Pavel's methods I have finally been able to feel 'loose' in the problem muscles.
    Last edited by Tank23; 11-20-2005 at 07:10 AM.
    Life's too short to be small

Quote Originally Posted by Tank23
    Hey Justin, I highly recommend you buy Pavel Tsatsouline's book titled 'Relax Into Stretch'. I"ve got it, and it's fantastic. I've been sticking to a proper stretching routine for about a week and a bit now, and I could do the splits within a few stretching sessions. I'm not yet completely comfortable right at the bottom of the split, still need to work on that, but I think it's awesome that using Pavel's methods have allowed me to achieve this in such a short time frame.

Basically Pavel's thoughts are to cause the muscle to relax hence allowing it to stretch via training of the nervous system and developing strength in the stretched positions, rather than your traditional 'physically stretch the muscle to change it's mechanical properties' school of thought.

Edit: Oh and I'll add that I've had chronic muscle tightness problems for quite a while, and I've been stretching using the traditional approach, but it never seemed to help, I was always still tight even after stretching. Using Pavel's methods I have finally been able to feel 'loose' in the problem muscles.
    sounds like PNF stretching. i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?

The Tuna Tempter
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    sounds like PNF stretching. i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?
    Yep Pavel's methods encompasses PNF stretching. Pavel didn't actually invent the stuff in his book, he's put together a guide based on techniques from all over the world that he's found to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?
    What you're doing is fooling the muscle's stretch reflex. By holding a hard contraction in the stretched out position, you develop strength in that position. As opposed to relaxed stretching where you maintain the stretch for a given period of time, with no contraction of the target muscles. So, no you wouldn't get weaker using PNF.
    Life's too short to be small

bone crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by russ

Iron Yoga

you can get the dvd

yoga is tremendous couterbalance to strenth training

I notice that my increased muscle size has come with a decreased range of motion. After a year of yoga i am more flexible then when i started training

Quote Originally Posted by the doc
    yoga is tremendous couterbalance to strenth training

I notice that my increased muscle size has come with a decreased range of motion. After a year of yoga i am more flexible then when i started training
    Doc - I would feel absolutely silly taking a yoga class at my gym. Is this something that can be self taught via videos?
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    Doc - I would feel absolutely silly taking a yoga class at my gym. Is this something that can be self taught via videos?
    I am SO going make fun of you for this, although I probably am going to need it as bad as you do.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I'd highly recommend a well designed warm-up. T-nation.com had a very good article on why and how to warm up.

As for flexibility, Self-myofascial release with a foam roller is your best bet. The piece of foam has worked wonders for me. If you can hook up with an NSCA strength coach, they can help you with your imbalances and flexibility issues.

I've heard good comments about Pavel's book, but I use Stretching Scientifically by Kurz.

I think it's pretty much the same info, presented just a little differently (none of Pavel's "Comrade" this and "Comrade" that). Lots of theory, and the 4th edition has more practical suggestions for setting up a routine. Big criticism of the previous 3 editions was too much theory and too little practical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter
    I'd highly recommend a well designed warm-up. T-nation.com had a very good article on why and how to warm up.

As for flexibility, Self-myofascial release with a foam roller is your best bet. The piece of foam has worked wonders for me. If you can hook up with an NSCA strength coach, they can help you with your imbalances and flexibility issues.
    Is this the 6" foam roller in the spine warm-up article here on WBB? I've been thinking about that.
    I've also started doing the t-mag smith machine warmup, and I've been trying to stretch more. We'll see how things go. I was just picturing Justin's big ass blocking out the sun while he did a down dog or something.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Dude I'm totally gonna wear a leotard too.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

I just got Pavel's book and plan to read/apply it soon.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

bone crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    well to an extent, yes. Let me tell you though, most days i was one of the only dudes and my yoga instructor and most of my class were hot-ass women!

I just can't imagine me (250 lb, completely inflexible slob) laying there doing yoga with a bunch of little women. My mere presence would be offensive.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Make sure that you don't wear deodorant and that your chest hair peeks out over the top of your leotard.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

remember to let out some farts too

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher