The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bench Question

Hybrid View

Bench Question

when i do my benching w/ a barbell i'm kind of wobbly, so i tend to go to the Smith to do it. Now i know the bar's on most Smith's are only 15 lbs. and i max out a 165. on normal bench i do like 135 3 or 4 times and have trouble cause i'm not stable. I was wondering, if i do normal bench for 2 weeks, then do DB bench for 2 weeks, would that help my stabalizers so i wont wobble so much on normal bench?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're shaky because your nerves haven't made a "track" for it yet. In short, you're not used to it because you're new at it. This goes away after about 2 weeks. It disappears very quickly. Don't touch the smith, it denys your stabilizer muscles the ability to develop, which could lead to injury when doing activities in which your stabilizers aren't protected by not being used.

Do regular bench, the wobblies last but a short while.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    You're shaky because your nerves haven't made a "track" for it yet. In short, you're not used to it because you're new at it. This goes away after about 2 weeks. It disappears very quickly. Don't touch the smith, it denys your stabilizer muscles the ability to develop, which could lead to injury when doing activities in which your stabilizers aren't protected by not being used.

Do regular bench, the wobblies last but a short while.
    :withstupi

Benching is not just chest and arms.
    Don't forget to take advantage of your lats while benching.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    :withstupi

Benching is not just chest and arms.
    Don't forget to take advantage of your lats while benching.
    I agree, I almost to bring the bar down using my lats as much as possible.

Could be a lot of things. Are your feet solidly planted on the ground? Do you keep your upper back tight and are you "pulling the bar apart"? Do you have a slight arch and do you keep your abs tight throughout the movement?

Doing DBs won't hurt, but you probably just need to learn how to bench. Working w. a slightly lower weight for a while wouldn't be a bad idea.

i'll be sure to try the lower weights for a few weeks, see if i can get the tech. down.

There are many things that you see people do at the gym for benching that aren't correct. The 2 biggest things are lifting the feet off of the ground and using the smith machine. Proper form for benching is having both feet firmly planted on the ground. A slight arch in your back (not butt off the bench) is OK. Shoulder blades together and don't bounce the weight off of your chest, control it going down. Benching should be nearly as taxing on your entire body as doing squats or deads, it really hits the whole body hard.
    In your case, lighten the weight a bit and get used to the feeling. You might do flat bench with the bar and then do incline with db's. If you use the smith machine, you won't build all the stabilizer muscles that will help you not be wobbly.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Take the advice above and stay away from the smith horrible excuse for people to put up more weight than they can handle in my opinion
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

LOL STFU!
    yes please stay away from the smith machine. once in a while is okay if you plan on going all out and there's no spotters. just do regular BP's and down the weight. take it slow and control the weights. maybe your shaky cause your moving the weights too fast? idk, but whatever it is, you'll get used to it and it won't wobble anymore

i'm not trying to make it seem like i can lift more than reality, i'm just use to being on the smith because i usually lift by myself and i'm fairly new to it all. But i'll deff. be taking the advice, dropping the weight, and getting my form down. thanks everyone =)

The smith is the newb's enemy.

Case in point...after about 6 months of working with machines, I could put up 275lbs 5 or 6 times...but I couldn't even put up 160lbs with a bar.

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    The smith is the newb's enemy.

Case in point...after about 6 months of working with machines, I could put up 275lbs 5 or 6 times...but I couldn't even put up 160lbs with a bar.
    really? that's crazy cuz i find that the smith machine relieves around 10-15 lbs off of my regular bp weight for me.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeLift
    really? that's crazy cuz i find that the smith machine relieves around 10-15 lbs off of my regular bp weight for me.
    That was when I never benched or did military presses without a machine. I just wasn't used to balancing the weight on my own. Now I'm repping with 275 on a bar and haven't touched a machine in years.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeLift
    ive had a similiar experience.where the difference was really large like 30-40 lbs

Yea I agree with some previous posters, back when I did the smith machine for a couple of months and realized how bad it was, when I went to the freeweight bench the weights felt much ligher. However my muscles weren't used to the freeweights and I couldn't do as much, but the actual weight just felt light.

mine is only off by a little, not dramatic, but i get the point they're saying, the stabalizers arent getting the work they need to get. or atleast thats how i'm looking at it right now, plus now that i am going to do normal bench, i can better my form. =)

Great thinking PBX4Sho. You're heading down the right track.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

just figured i'd let eveyrone know, i've already noticed a increase in performance. i use to be able to do 165 max, 155 x2...today, normal bench i did 155x4. now i'm not sure if this is just mental thinking or what, but i hate the smith now, i love normal bench =)

Personally I would switch to dumbell bench for a few weeks and work on keeping your body as tight as possible, I always find working with dumbells helps me stabalize heavier and heavier weight.

Good advice there from Kevin. He's like the Hercules of Leprechauns or something.

My Exploits

He's like the Hercules of Leprechauns or something
    That cracked me up!
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

do db bench first then bb...but stick to one and every third workout choose the other

yeah u dont add the bar of the smith machine to ur weight coz wen u leave it with no weight it doesnt move

Combat Infantryman
    The campus gym is closed until Jan 4th and I've had to bench with a smith at my apartment gym. Ugh. Definitely gives you a false sense of strength. I can bench almost twice the normal weight. I don't even think the bar weighs 10lbs, i can move it with my fingertips.

****ing thing.