Thread: Novice Trying to Cut BF in half -- Too much Cardio?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Novice Trying to Cut BF in half -- Too much Cardio?

Hi. I'm 18, 6'3", 218 lbs. I started lifting about 2 months ago. I have been doing cardio 3-5 times a week, abour 35 or so minutes a session on an ellipitical machine. I don't really have a disciplined diet at all right now--just whatever I can get, though I keep it lean, and a protein shake at night. I have lost 4% bodyfat in about 2-3 months, which doesn't seem very fast to me at all, and I have gained 6 lbs of body mass over all.

My body fat is currently 21%. I want to get my body fat down to the low teens as fast as possible (2-5 months). At rest: BMR 2,256 RMR 2,094. Very Active: 3,384 3,141.

Assuming I do a 3 day a week lifting schedule, and eat 2000-2200 calories a day (keeping a high protein diet, etc), how much cardio should I be doing?

Would doing cardio 7 times a week be OK? I've only been lifting for 2 months, I don't imagine I have much LBM to lose.

What would be ideal for combining cardio and lifting for maximum fat loss? 3 days a week lifting and cardio 3 days a week 30 mins a day 2000 calorie diet? or 3 days a week lifting cardio like 7 days a week 1+ hour a day, 3000 calorie diet?

I'm very new to this and I feel I should cut my excess weight immediately before trying to lift, even if this is not optimal to building muscle mass, I would still rather lose the weight first.

edit: I tried searching, but most people seem to be doing not a lot of cardio and more concerned with burning too many calories rather than not enough.
    Last edited by cmaher; 12-13-2005 at 05:13 AM.

the idea is you find your maintanance cals by eating the same amount for a week and see if you gain or loose weight then adjust accordingly. once you know this you decuct 500 cals or 10/20% from them and go from their. the more cals you deduct the more weight you will loose however the more lbm you will loose as well. All cardio does as a fat burning pourpose is mainly help you burn more cals instead of eating less creating more of a deficit. obviously their are health benefits and it can help your metabolism. for goals try and keep your protein at 1-1.5g of protein per pound lbm. 0.5g of fat per pound of lbm as a minimum. if you are not botherd about keeping strength and muscle then go ahaead and do cardio 7 days a week and eat 2000 cals a day however you will proberly loose alot of muscle as well as fat. the reason people do it more slowly is to help preserve lbm
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by cmaher

edit: I tried searching, but most people seem to be doing not a lot of cardio and more concerned with burning too many calories rather than not enough.
    reason why....

Quote Originally Posted by Cardio

Cardio is catabolic and therefore you need to make sure that you donít over do it and do it at the wrong time. It has long been said that for fat burning you need to work at a consistent rate of about 60% of your max heart rate (220 Ė your age). This is a good rule of thumb for many and will provide steady gains. However, as with all aspects of weight training variety is the key and therefore utilizing techniques such as interval training and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) will also have some benefit. Short bursts of high intensity followed by short rest periods should help to create a good environment for fat loss.
    Here a great thread for you to read.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...lose+body+mass

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Then EITHER do something like UD2.0/PSMF, OR do a more moderate plan that will drop weight off you more slowly, but will let you keep some of your LBM.
    I took this from another thread, but those above are your option on how you should drop the weight off (in a safe way).

All this could be found through the search function.
    Last edited by Utopianhopes; 12-13-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    whey in water sounds nasty to me, well, its only a drink

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaher
    whey in water sounds nasty to me, well, its only a drink
    Just gulp it down your throat in one chug, you don't taste it until you relax your throat muscles and taste the last bit going down. I usually gag or retch, but it's done with.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    <pokes nose in, looks around, sees that all is well>
    That really made me laugh. I can fully envision you hearing "fat" and peeking in, sword in hand.. only to find the fat dragon, Lipidor the great, already being vanquished.. then you get a good night of sleep, content at the victory of leanness everywhere.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

I drink whey and water everyday. doesnt take nice but its not awful and were not in this for nice tatsting things or we would be big belly chefs
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Its rare for me to mix my whey with milk. Usually just ice cold water from the cooler, a couple shakes int he cup, and down the hatch in one long chugging.

As far as cardio, pick up the pace when you do it. STill a ton of cardio machines with the 'fat burning zone' heart rate indicator...and that's all old, incorrect news. All that is, is the minimum heart rate you need to hit to induce fat burning. FAt burning doesn't stop after a higher heart rate...that's silly talk. You'll burn more total calories at a higher heart rate, AND get a cardiovascular workout to keep the heart healthy. Plodding along in the fat burning zone keeps you below the cardiovascular zone.

here's a good example: say you do 40 mins of 'fat burning' zone cardio you burn 200 calories, and 100 of that is pure fat. 50% fat burning ratio..not bad.
    now do 20 mins of 'cardiovascular' zone on teh same piece of equipment. You burn 320 calories, 140 of which were pure fat. Well, that's only like 35-40% ratio of fat calories burned from the total.
    BUT IT WAS STILL MORE FAT BURNED! And more total calories, and your heart actually got a workout.

Now, 20 mins may not be a sufficient cardio session, but all those fools that climb the eliptical at 60 strides a minute for 2 hours....well, they're FOOLS! Don't be one of them.

/rant

Nitrean and water taste great. You guys must be buying ****ty ass whey or something.

As for the original poster, its a long process. Doing anything "as fast as possable" isn't always the best or healthiest way. Everything in body recomposition is SLOW.
    Nick V

Or maybe they're young and never drink anything other than coke and kool aid.

Edit: the only whey in water that tastes bad to me is the strawberry flavor, it tastes just like kid medicine.
    Last edited by bloodninja; 12-15-2005 at 06:56 AM. Reason: forgot something