The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

No Deadlifts for aesthetic purposes?

I was training over at Gold's in Venice and I ran in to Big Will Harris who is one of the top pro bodybuilders right now. http://www.bigwillharris.com/

anyway, when he asked me what I was working on I told him deadlifts and he asked "Why?" I told them were great at building muscle, etc..

He then asked me if I was training for aesthetic purposes (or bodybuilding) and I said yes and he told me that I shouldn't do deadlifts. He said that they make your waist too wide and that you can hit all the muscles that deadlifts hit separately without making your waist wide.

He said he's never done deadlifts and he's one of the biggest guys at the gym so I kind of took what he said to heart. But what do you think? Should someone who is looking to compete in bodybuilding include deadlifts in to his routine or should he hit those muscles with other exercises?
    Last edited by Chiznarles; 12-13-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ronnie Coleman does deadlifts. But he looks like he's pregnant. But I don't think it's the deadlifts.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Being fat makes your waist wide. If you enjoy deadlifts, do them. If you don't enjoy deadlifts, do them anyway.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Will Harris is a beast, I think he was in that movie "Be Cool"

Deadlifts can make your waist bigger. Any core exercise can, but I don't think it's something to worry about until you're deadlifting serious weight

Oh yeah, and Franco sucked too. Terrible waistline and taper. Terrible.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Ronnie Coleman does deadlifts. But he looks like he's pregnant. But I don't think it's the deadlifts.
    Yeah that was the GH/massive AAS doses

Being fat makes your waist wide. If you enjoy deadlifts, do them. If you don't enjoy deadlifts, do them anyway.
    :withstupi
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I do deadlifts.

I'm sorry - what was your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    but I don't think it's something to worry about until you're deadlifting serious weight
    No offense though, I still love you

It's unreasonable to think that an exercises that hits your core (lower back, obliques, abs, etc.) as hard as deadlifts wouldn't thicken your waist to a certain extent. But you have to be lifting heavy enough to see a noticible difference, and even then, the benefits may outweigh the drawbacks

No offense though, I still love you
    None taken.
    It's unreasonable to think that an exercises that hits your core (lower back, obliques, abs, etc.) as hard as deadlifts wouldn't thicken your waist to a certain extent. But you have to be lifting heavy enough to see a noticible difference, and even then, the benefits may outweigh the drawbacks
    I did rack pulls with two plates a side this summer, when I weighed a buck thirty. Not heavy for you, but pretty heavy for me, and it wasn't like I was holding back.

How heavy would I have to go before I'd see my waist thickening?

Double post
    Last edited by thetopdog; 12-13-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    How heavy would I have to go before I'd see my waist thickening?
    I don't think it's an exact science. But just think about it, you work all the muscles of your core hard, you should expect some hypertrophy. Everybody always says abs are just like any other muscle, and they don't need 50 reps or whatever, so why would they be different when it comes to hypertrophy?

I apologize if I came off as condescending. Just to be clear, I wouldn't even say that I'm deadlifting enough weight to noticibly thicken my waist, and I'm in the 350-400 range for reps (which is kind of sad for someone my size actually)

Surely as long as you work every other body part as hard, then you will maintain your taper, which, unless I'm mistaken is failrly genetic based anyway

Here's a picture of Dave Gulledge (powerlifter). Notice his thick waist due to lots of deadlifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you topdog - I didn't think you came off as condescending, but you did come off sounding a hair naÔve.

Heavy hits to your obliques can make the waist appear a bit wider, although unassisted, you'd have a HELL of a time building up THAT much muscle on your torso! That being said, I would think that the forces applied to the torso to stabilize the lift will include a little bit of obliques and abdominals, but more the erectors, no?

A larger circumference on your waist isn't an aesthetic concern to bodybuilders - building up the front and the back won't ruin the line. Your waist can be deep, just so long as it isn't wide.

I don't think it's an exact science. But just think about it, you work all the muscles of your core hard, ...
    What muscles, specifically, are you talking about? ("core" is too general a term.)

Anytime a pro bodybuilder tells you not to do something or they do not do it, they are probably BSing you hard core.

"Milk is for babies"
    "Deadlifts make your waist too wide and you can hit all the muscles that deadlifts hit separately without making your waist wide"

That's like saying squating makes your ass too big, and you shouldn't do it.

Freakin n00bs...

You shoulda told "Big Will Harris" to mind his own GD business and to go run another cycle.

Your first mistake was listening to a Pro Bodybuilder.

Your second mistake was thinking he was telling the truth.

For the person that said that deadlifts will make your waist thick....read on:

1. Got to bathroom
    2. Open up lid to toilet
    3. Insert your head
    4. Flush

Kc

If you want to look strong and be strong, you need to deadlift. Can you hit all of your muscles with other exercises? Yes, but IMHO if you want to be more than a useless collection of bodyparts, you need to be doing heavy compound movements.

Weird. From what I've read, deadlifts are one of the best exercises for getting that V shape.

Im quoting this from someone............"Deads are like women, they can hurt you, but they can also make you a man"
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Wannabebig Member
    to his defense he's a pretty nice easy going guy.. i just wanted to get your opinions on such a statement since i never heard it before until he said it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    You shoulda told "Big Will Harris" to mind his own GD business and to go run another cycle.
    I like to see you say that to his face.

That's ridiculous. I'd say squats work your core even more than deadlifts, because it has to stabilize a heavy weight on your back as opposed to when you're holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiznarles
    I like to see you say that to his face.
    lol I didn't say "I woulda" I said "You shoulda"
    He probably woulda ate you AND the weights you were DL'ing

Having a tiny or large waist has far more to do with bodyfat and genetic predisposition than any exercise. How much potential for girth do you think your abdominals and obliques really have?

That being said I can still see abs ok with a 40" waist. And mine has been as small as 29" LOL. For some reason my waist likes to be huge, I suck. And I dont do traditional deadlifts.

Stop worrying about the little things that wont make a difference.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST