The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

question about muscle soreness

usually after a weight increase in my routine, my muscles will feel extra sore the next day or two, or sometimes even three. they feel almost like they are bruised. i think this is a good thing, and during these days i make sure to consume extra protien.. even more so than i usually do.

however, my question is should i continue working out during these days? or should i skip those muscles? i can make the lifts, but they feel really tender or bruised, and i'm wondering if i should allow the muscle to heal/grow during those days, and wonder if working out will actually cause slower gains than if i just rested those days until the tender feleing is gone.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

As long as you are giving them over 48 hours to rest then I don't see a big reason not to lift through it. Often working out those muscles reduces the soreness because blood is pumped to those areas during exercises. This is, of course, assuming that it is just soreness and that you don't have a real injury.

Make sure you are giving yourself plenty of sleep at night, and also consider reducing the amount of sets that you do if it is really causing you trouble.

Hope that helps.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

A light workout will shuttle blood through sore muscles and usually help you get rid of the soreness a little more quickly. IMHO, it probably not best to make a habit of going all out when your muscles are still sore though.

A rule of thumb I've heard mentioned is to not work the muscles if they are still sore to touch.

Wannabebig Member
    they definately aren't injured. it's not painful whatsoever. it's just something i'm slightly conscious of, and not really bothersome at all. maybe soreness was the wrong word. tenderness is probably better. basically it's happens everytime i increase my lifts and it feels this way for the first few weeks or month everytime after i lift. when i no longer feel this way i usally increase the weight.

i'm just wondering if i'd have better gains if i rested more often. like work out hard, then rest two days until they feel 100%, thus allowing them to grow, then go at it again. right now i work out about 2 out of 3 days. i'm making gains, but as always i'm trying to find the quickest way to build.

also, they aren't sore to the touch. if i touch them the pain doesn't increase. it's just a slight soreness/tenderness.

thanks for the replies so far!
    Last edited by Jensen; 12-19-2005 at 02:19 PM.