Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Korean dies after games session

South Korean dies after games session

I don't remember hearing about this... Crazy!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4137782.stm

A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks.

The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.

The man had not slept properly, and had eaten very little during his marathon session, said police.

Multi-player gaming in South Korea is extremely popular thanks to its fast and widespread broadband network.

Games are televised and professional players are treated, as well as paid, like sports stars.

Professional gamers there attract huge sums in sponsorship and can make more than $100,000 a year.

The man, identified by his family name, Lee, started playing Starcraft on 3 August. He only paused playing to go to the toilet and for short periods of sleep, said the police.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official told the Reuters news agency.

He was taken to hospital following his collapse, but died shortly after, according to the police. It is not known whether he suffered from any previous health conditions.

They added that he had recently been fired from his job because he kept missing work to play computer games.
    Last edited by Beast; 12-14-2005 at 07:23 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Holy ****. Talk about sad.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

That's bizarre. Equally strange is that there is such thing as a professional computer player.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to 6 months ago...
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Hah. Amateur.

The record is some guy dying after 96 hours of Starcraft.

And yes it happens enough that you can keep that kind of score.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 12-14-2005 at 09:12 PM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Welcome to 2 years ago!

This old news man.

On the same note, some loser in the US commited suicide after his 'partner' in a MMORPG game (everquest i think?) betrayed him so his character died.

It's about time Mother Nature cleaned up the gene pool.

I dont think thats got anything on the couple that left their baby alone for like 36 hours while playing WoW causing it to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    On the same note, some loser in the US commited suicide after his 'partner' in a MMORPG game (everquest i think?) betrayed him so his character died.
    hahahahahaha, dude, that is hilarious!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    I dont think thats got anything on the couple that left their baby alone for like 36 hours while playing WoW causing it to die.
    You serious??? That's so ****ed up.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I wasn't aware that anyone played starcraft anymore.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    The government should ban all MMORPGs because of a few deaths.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Wow..You know what?
    This never even crossed my mind but is Entirely ****ing true.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

LOL I played SOCOM 2 when it came out for 36 hours straight with only bathroom breaks lol. Even ate while playing. I could of gone longer if i didn't fall asleep lol. lol, i know it's sad, but hey it was addicting
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

All you were missing was a diaper and you wouldn't have had to get up.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    All you were missing was a diaper and you wouldn't have had to get up.
    someone would of had to change me... i should of put a 5 gallon bucket next to my chair, and went in that. I would of got bed sores maybe.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

I visited a buddy of mine in San Antonio about a month ago and his new obsession was StarCraft. He told me the game was so popular in Korea that there was actually a guy who died from overplaying it. I kind of dismissed it as hyperbole, but here it is.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I didn't think anyone was playing Starcraft anymore either.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Hardly anyone ENGLISH is playing SC anymore. It's so hard to find an english game logging into the American servers... endless Korean games, though.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

I cant play anymore I got banned from playing online, I'm a bad,bad man.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    I cant play anymore I got banned from playing online, I'm a bad,bad man.

I hated you no Fog of war mother****ers so much.

And yes, Starcraft is about as popular in Korea as baseball is here. Pro players wear uniforms and ****, its pretty ridiculous.

But they get groupie sex with hot asian women (as long as they don't fall into the 'don't shower for six months' category).
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 12-15-2005 at 08:55 AM.

Seriously, I tohught these guys did this because they never get laid

wasnt an episode of CSI about this about a month or so ago?

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Seriously, I tohught these guys did this because they never get laid
    There's big money and celeb status in this field in asia. They think skill is skill... fast fingers and a sharp mind are as valued as the ability to knock a ball out of the park or bench a buick.

Every time there is big money and celeb status there are people who want to share in that status by way of sex. That's just how it goes.

People actually have leveling services for WOW sold on ebay to lvl your character in a certian amount of time. The more money you pay, the faster it gets leveled. Most of these "companies" are ran by Asian folks. And yes, they sit there all day and lvl chars and get paid for it.

I knew a guy who played SWG who actually sold in game curency on ebay, and made a pretty good living doing it.

I have played a couple MMORPG games in my life time, and they are nasty addictive.

My rehabilitation was joining the iron game. Thought it was about time to start living in reality.