The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Why lifting frustrates me

Bleh. Maybe I'm posting for a kick in the ass to motivate me or something, but maybe someone shares in my frustration.

Broke my ass all summer lifting every other day religiously, never missing meals, eating protein out the ass and back again.

And it worked. I went from 5'10, 145 to 163 pounds. My bench shot up, I looked good with a tee shirt on, the whole gig, and things were great.

But how quickly we lose things. Sometimes I feel like my body eats itself. Like it WANTS me to be skinny. For just three weeks I cut back slightly. I could only lift once a week and had to, for the first time in half a year, eat normally and not in excess.

So now I'm back down to 153/154 and can barely rep bench 3 or 4 times what I was doing 12 times a month ago.

It could be seasonal depression or something. I hear that can have an effect on your metabolism, motiviation, and such.

Its times like this I feel I should give up and be doomed to being a twig for the rest of my life. Whats the point in working so hard if it all just melts off of you in a tenth of the time it takes you to get it?
    Last edited by greentinted; 12-18-2005 at 06:48 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It happens man, but muscles have good memory. I stopped lifting for several months and my lifts all went to sh*t. I dropped 10 lbs of bodyweight and went from being able to get 16 reps of dumbell bench with the 100lb dumbells to feeling like 80lb dumbells was gonna rip my arms off. My deadlift has dropped a good 70 lbs too but im back at it and everythings coming back gradually. Trust me it will only take a month or so to get back what you had so in the nicest way possible, shut up and lift!
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 12-18-2005 at 06:49 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Haha, that motivates me Kevin. But yeah the muscles seem to have pretty good memory.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Last edited by SW; 12-18-2005 at 07:29 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by greentinted
    Bleh. Maybe I'm posting for a kick in the ass to motivate me or something, but maybe someone shares in my frustration.

Broke my ass all summer lifting every other day religiously, never missing meals, eating protein out the ass and back again.

And it worked. I went from 5'10, 145 to 163 pounds. My bench shot up, I looked good with a tee shirt on, the whole gig, and things were great.

But how quickly we lose things. Sometimes I feel like my body eats itself. Like it WANTS me to be skinny. For just three weeks I cut back slightly. I could only lift once a week and had to, for the first time in half a year, eat normally and not in excess.

So now I'm back down to 153/154 and can barely rep bench 3 or 4 times what I was doing 12 times a month ago.

It could be seasonal depression or something. I hear that can have an effect on your metabolism, motiviation, and such.

Its times like this I feel I should give up and be doomed to being a twig for the rest of my life. Whats the point in working so hard if it all just melts off of you in a tenth of the time it takes you to get it?

Because getting big isnt something you do in a couple months like people seem to think. It's a lifestyle, you have to choose to change the way you live permanently.

Banned
    www.animalpak.com good lord if that don't keep you on track nothing will.

I wish they'd cut all the stupid "tough guy" bs out of that guy's journey (if indeed it si real) and all the dumb dramatic junk that's so fake. I'd like to read a journal that guy would write, but some in journals here are better than that would be anyway.

EDIT: They're not even updating "journey."
    Last edited by SW; 12-18-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by greentinted
    It's going to take more than one summer... Basically what spencerjus said, but you need to look at things in the long-term. If you don't have one yet, start keeping a journal and it's not a bad idea to keep one on-line too.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-18-2005 at 08:38 PM.