Thread: Power Lifts in reg routine

Hybrid View

Banned

Power Lifts in reg routine

I want to incorporate a clean followed by a push press in my shoulder/back day, pretty much because I have always wanted to learn how to clean.. Anyway, I am not a powerlifter, so will this be useless to me, or detrimental in any way?

It will most likely benefit you to add lifts like that to your routine.

Banned
    Sweeeet :-D

Powerlifters don't usually perform a clean of any sort. You're thinking weightlifters. Either way, they're of benefit for everybody.

I think Power cleans can easily be learnt on your own. Just remember the first pull is almost entirely with your legs. When the bar reaches around your knees, explode up and shrug your shoulders. Don't pull with your arms. Cleans on the other hand, can be tougher, as it requires you to jump under the bar as it travels up, and you must be very comfortable to do that with heavy weight. Also, I think your power clean weight will be more in line with your push press weight. I know I couldn't push press what I clean, but then again I can't jerk what I clean either.
    Last edited by khari; 12-16-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Banned
    Difference between clean & power clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Addam1125
    Difference between clean & power clean?
    In a power clean you pull the weight from the ground up to your shoulders with minimal knee bend to get under the bar. In the full clean instead of pulling the bar all the way up, you pull it part of the way and lower yourself into the full front squat position to catch it.

Banned
    Thanks.. I was at the gym today, someone was using the rack so I power cleaned the weight up to press it, that seemed easy.. How much can one normally push press with a M press ~90x8?