The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Made my bodyweight goal

I stepped on the scale yesterday at the gym and hit the magic number...175 lbs. My goal was to hit 175 by December. For awhile there I was stuck at 170, then lost a couple pounds due to not eating and sleeping enough during finals, and was worried I wasn't going to make it.

Next goal, 200 by summer. For reference, I was 140 lbs last August.

I've increased in size a good bit, according to my buddies, although I haven't really noticed. I'd post pics, but I don't have a digital camera (and this being a straight bulk, I'm not exactly well defined at the moment).

Unfortunately, I didn't make my goal of a 200-lb 20-rep squat set. I think I finally overloaded my CNS when I got stuck at 190...I'd been doing the 20-rep squats for nearly six months and I guess I finally plateu'd. I've switched up to a 5 x 5 style squat set, working at 205 pounds for the last three sets (increasing by 5 lbs each week). Think I'll continue on this for awhile and move back to the 20-rep style.

New routine is as follows:

Squats, 5 x 5 (first two are warmup, last three are work sets)
    Pullovers, 3 x 20 (after each squat work set)
    Behind neck press, 3 x 12
    SLDL, 1 x 15 (this one is tough after the squats!)

It's interesting...although I don't bench, my chest has expanded and deepened considerably. The old-timers weren't kidding when they said squats will do the job.

Onwards and upwards,
    -puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nice work!

It's always great when you achieve a goal.

Good luck with the next one!

hardgaining ectomorph
    Going off 20 rep squats actually hurt my 20 rep squats. When I came back to it I had to drop down in weight.

Do what the guy who wrote Brawn said to do and drop to 80% of what you're using now (152 lbs) and work your way back up.
    I'm Dark, I'm Dan...I'm Darkdan
    Journal

Congrats man!

That routine is quite old school. One thing you're missing is a one-arm barbell side press.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter
    That routine is quite old school. One thing you're missing is a one-arm barbell side press.
    They'd probably kick me out of the gym for trying it...too dangerous to the surrounding lifters

As far as dropping to 80%, maybe I'll try that. I'd like to work at higher-than-usual weight for awhile, though.

Thanks,
    -puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals:

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Matt04
    Hey puny what did your old routine consist of out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt04
    Hey puny what did your old routine consist of out of curiosity?
    Pretty much the same as above, except the squats were 1 set of 20, and I was only doing 2 sets of behind neck press. The SLDLs are also pretty new; I didn't incorporate them until two or three weeks ago. I was doing dips for awhile but the BHP killed my triceps to the point where I couldn't do them effectively.
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Goals: