The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Hi (advice needed)

This is my fist post (obviously). I came across this site through a google search on a few supplements.

Basically, im looking for advice.

I'm currently 5'10 and 160 lbs.

I'm looking towards gaining both strength and muscle. I take a few supplements (whey, nos)

I've started a lite workout every other day which usually focuses on my chest, biceps, back and calves.

I've tried various supplements and workout routines throughout the years with little gain, but i'm once again at that at that starting point. I figure here would be the best place of any to ask about supplements, as well as lifting.

As far as supplements gnc is kind of pricey, and i feel a bit BS'ed by their staff into buying products i don't need.

To be less vague, i'm more or less trying to gain strength and muscle (more or less defition and not so much mass) in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks in adv.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hi

Try using the 'search' function as I'm pretty sure each of your questions has been asked numerous times. BTW if you really want to get strong and muscular then try working out your whole body... like maybe trying some squats sometime.

At the top of this page click on 'Wannabebig Articles' and click on 'Weight Lifting Routines' and check out Wannabebig Routine 1 (referred to as WBB1). This is a routine that is very widely accepted for beginners (heck, I'm sure even some 'advanced' people use it too).

As for NOS, I don't think I've heard too many positive reviews on here about it. Improve your diet and after that all you will really need is multi-vitamins and probably the whey protein.

BTW just so you know the very large majority of people gain muscle through a 'bulk' and lose fat through a 'cut', and if you're planning on gaining muscle and strength (bulk) then you'll probably have to put on a tad bit of fat but nothing too bad.

And yes those guys at GNC ARE BSing you, just like they do to everyone.

Most importantly, read around this site and do some 'searches' when you are curious about something. This site is a large database of knowledge and you'll find that many of the things you previously believed about weightlifting are not as true as you thought. Good luck.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

First off try researching from ure post i can see that you have no idea about diet or training. If your not gaining it hasnt anything to do with supplements it has to do with the fact that ure not eating enough you need to be in a calorie surplus to gain weight. Also try the wbb 1 routine on this site as a starting point. all the information you could possibly need is on this site take ure time and have a look around
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

What you need to do is go to www.fitday.com

Post what you are eating there and count your calories. Calorie counting isnt just for women who want to lose weight- it's essential to know whether you're eating enough.

If you're not gaining weight you're not eating enough.
    You need 6 meals a day at least that are made up of good foods - complex carbs, healthy fats and good protein sources. Junk food will not do.

Supplements are only a SUPPLEMENT to a good diet. Use them to add EXTRA protein etc, but don't use them as a substitute.

As for lifting, check out WBB1 routine. It's simple and effective. I've gained ~12lbs on it so far. But honestly, EATING is by far the most important thing.

Edit: Wbb1 is good because it focuses on heavy compound lifts. You NEED deadlifts, squats and bench press in your routine. They hit more muscles, build overall strength and also kick start your body into growing more.
    Your legs carry a lot of weight - don't forget them.
    Last edited by Davidelmo; 12-19-2005 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thekatanas

I've started a lite workout every other day which usually focuses on my chest, biceps, back and calves.

I've tried various supplements and workout routines throughout the years with little gain, but i'm once again at that at that starting point. I figure here would be the best place of any to ask about supplements, as well as lifting.

To be less vague, i'm more or less trying to gain strength and muscle (more or less defition and not so much mass) in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks in adv.
    By not training your legs, you are ensuring that you will see little gain, and you also ensure that you will meet your goal of not gaining much mass.

What you need to do is quit worrying about any 'easy' way to take a pill or powder and instead understand that you'll need to figure out your training and diet, apply what you know, and train hard. Once you have that down you can work on what pill might help you gain a pound or two.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry for misleading you guys.

I didn't get into my full routine because i really didn't find it worth a mention. I get just about as much lower as upper body work.

And what i more or less meant with my dealing with supplements was that i was being mislead by gnc's staff. I'm told various things by various people.

As far as supplements i usually use Whey protein (around 66 grams) and the rest come from my meals throughout the day.

My goal more or less is strength, and not so much mass. As i fear it will interfere with my flexibility.

I'm more or less looking for advice on a workout routine. Something that will push me hard and get me to see results in a decent amount of time.

If it helps i'm focusing on power because i hope to join a club within the next year (wrestling, boxing, mma) and would at least like to be in shape doing so.

As far as equipment im limited, and i guess there is also where i'd probaly seek information on what deals are going on, and what fitness clubs give the best bang for the buck. I'm located in the san gabriel valley (azusa,california) if that's any help.

Anyways thanks again.

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekatanas
    My goal more or less is strength, and not so much mass. As i fear it will interfere with my flexibility.
    I think you've fallen for one of the worst bodybuilding myths of all time. One, size is going to come with strength, whether you like it or not, and two, building mass will NOT decrease flexibility in any way. This was a myth propogated by football coaches in the early fifties who wouldn't let their players lift because they believed flexibility and agility would be lost...that is, their players would become "musclebound."

That myth was debunked decades ago. Show me a football player these days who doesn't lift.

-puny-
    Last edited by puny_ectomorph; 12-19-2005 at 03:20 PM.
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

thekatanas, couldn't help noticing the frequent use of the phrase 'more or less'. Eventually you're going to want to figure out what you DEFINITELY want as a goal.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 12-19-2005 at 04:02 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me