The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

percent of max for 8x3 on bench

ive been doing 8x3 sets on my heavy days for curls and had a good deal of success, so i tried an 8x3 bench workout at 185, which i figure is ~85% of my 210 max. i completed the workout with some deal of effort but only reached muscular failure on the last set second rep. but immediately following the completion of my workout i got a pretty bad pain in my shoulder (it didnt hurt during the workout), which my coach told me was from working out with too much weight. after icing it on/off for 3 hours it felt fine and still does now (8 hours later). i didnt think i was using too mcuh weight, but what percent of my max should i use for an 8x3 heavy workout on bench?
    Height: 5'9
    Weight: 140, started at 110.
    Lifting: seriously since 16, started @ 15
    Bench: 210
    Squat: 290
    Deadlift: 360
    Skinny but gotta start somewhere!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you haven't tried this type of training before, I would start w/ 80%, and move up approx 2.5% each week. Also, I wouldn't suggest 8x3 for curls - it's a great set/rep protocol for compound movements, not so great for isolation movements, given all of the strain on a smaller muscle/# of muscles.

80% is good.
    I don't have time. I make time.

If your gonna go heavy dont do 8 sets, thats overdoing it in my opinion. When I got heavy I go short and sweet. If you wanna do 8 sets do speed bench, its great for breaking sticking points and helping your all around bench, 8 sets of 3 at 60-65% of your max. Keep the reps controlled and make sure the weight your using is repped 3 times within 3 seconds or else lower the weight. Only rest 30 seconds between each set and make sure you stretch before and after, especially your rotator cuffs.

You shouldn't even be approaching failure on dynamic work.

Though to be honest, that's a moot point since you shouldn't be doing dynamic work if you only max at 210.

EDIT: I just noticed you weren't doing dynamic work per se. However, the point still stands that you shouldn't be approaching failure on that set/rep scheme.

You'd see a lot more benefit from increasing your reps a bit.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 12-23-2005 at 07:05 PM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

ok im kinda confused now bro are you talking about 8 reps and 3 sets or 3 reps and 8 sets?
    I don't have time. I make time.