Thread: Forearm injury

hammin'

Forearm injury

For the past week I've been having this nagging dull achey feeling in my left forearm. It hurts a little bit if I clench my fist or otherwise grab something heavy with that hand.

It also hurts if I put my arm straight out, palm up, and rotate my arm counter clockwise.

The pain comes from the underside of the forearm, closest to my body (if in anatomical position)

What the hell?
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

You've got what sounds like a tendon strain. Rest. Don't do any pulling/gripping with that arm.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

hammin'
    Can I squat?

That's all you can do for two whole weeks.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

hammin'
    Squats, leg press, and GHRs (and abs) twice a week for two weeks it is then.

I'm gonna look like an idiot swinging plates up onto the power rack with my right arm

Sorry to piggyback on to you post but I've got a similar pain in both forearms and I'm trying to figure out if it's the same thing.

The best way I can describe it is like shin-splints (sp?) in my forearms...hurts like hell right after I rack the weight.

Tendon strain?
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by harv
    Sorry to piggyback on to you post but I've got a similar pain in both forearms and I'm trying to figure out if it's the same thing.

The best way I can describe it is like shin-splints (sp?) in my forearms...hurts like hell right after I rack the weight.

Tendon strain?
    Do you curl with a barbell or ez-curl bar?

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Do you curl with a barbell or ez-curl bar?
    Barbell
    The right forearm started hurting a while back - most noticably after curls. I experimented and found out that if I narrowed my grip - the pain went away. Well - now, despite the narrow grip the pain is coming back.

The left forearm is the real killer right now...it hurts after pressing movements and is much more intense. Narrow/wide grip had no effect.
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Indeed, your forearms are prevented from rotating naturally whenever you curl a bar with both arms. This is almost always the cause of this sort of forearm pain.

There's a simple solution: Forget barbell curls and just use dumbbells instead.

You may need to rest your forearms for a while before any sort of gripping, pulling, or pushing.

I had this problem for a couple weeks and went to an ortopedist. It turned out that I had fractured the ulna in my forearm while doing heavy barbell curls. I am going to take it easy with those for a while now.

hammin'
    I doubt I fractured the ulna... unless it was a stress fracture. There was nothing tramautic which caused the pain to start. Don't get me worrying like that!!!

Gonadius Maximus
    I find that I am having the same pain only when using an eazy curl bar with close grip with thumbs angled outward. If I use a straight bar with straight horizontal grip it does not bother me so bad.

It appears to be pretty common http://home.flash.net/~drrad/tf/102797.htm
    Last edited by twisteddendrite; 12-20-2005 at 10:55 AM.

A ton of people have this problem, and the culprit is usually preacher curls

I had the same problem, and it was really bad. As soon as I cut barbell/ez-bar preacher curls out of my routine, it went away for good. If you really need to do preacher curls, use dumbells

Banned
    I had this too. When I curl now I exagerate bending my wrist inwards towards my forearms and the pain all but went away.