Thread: heart rate while exercising = calories burnt?

heart rate while exercising = calories burnt?

While performing aerobic exercise does ones heart rate equal how many calories they are expending?

For example, if one is jogging on a treadmill @ 140 bpm, will they be burning the same amount of calories as one who is on the stepper machine @ 140bpm as well?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Its an indicator, but not the only factor involved.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

what other factors are involved?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Wannabebig Member
    time spend doing the exercise. the body adapts and becomes efficient.

a person just starting out on a stairmaster (vs someone who has used it for weeks) will undoubtedly burn more calories due to inefficiency of the nervous system and that movement. when the pattern is established, the nervous system will be more efficient and fire off just the required amount of muscle to do the movement, so in a sense the exercise gets easier. so take a person just starting on stairmaster, and a person who has done it for a few weeks, at the same level, chances are the person just starting will burn more due to sloppiness. (provided they are the same fitness levels)

I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is.

Neural efficiency aside, it still takes x calories to do x amount of work.

Biomechanical efficiency would be much more important in determining calories expended than neuromuscular efficiency-- and there's not much short of radical surgery that can change that.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt your weight play a huge part in determining the amount of calories one burns?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Muscle tissue does. The rest is pretty much inactive goop in comparison.

ok here's a question: lets say two people have the same amount of muscle, but one also has significantly higher amounts of fat. Wouldn't the overfat individual's muscles have to work harder to move and work and exercise? So wouldn't he expend more energy?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

That depends on what exercise is being done, but for the most part, yes.

If I strapped on a 75 lb weight vest and started running, I'd use a lot more calories than if I ran naked (which I do on occasion).

Its the same idea.

Wannabebig Member
    so to answer the question...

no, heart rate doesnt dictate a set amount of calories burned due to different amounts of work performed with different muscle groups.

chances are a person doing 140 bpm on an arm ergometer is burning way less calorie wise than a person on a versaclimber @ 140bpm

Herself
    If I strapped on a 75 lb weight vest and started running, I'd use a lot more calories than if I ran naked (which I do on occasion).
    You know what the chinese say, powerman........"Man who run naked, going to Bangkok.
    "Give me only a place to stand, and I will move the world." - Archimedes

"I teach you the superman. Man is something to be surpassed." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"My soul, do not seek immortal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible." - Pindar

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day."