Thread: What's a good workout for this guy?

Wannabebig Member

What's a good workout for this guy?

18 years old.
    20% body fat
    6'1 220 lbs
    Previous Weight: 260
    Goal: 200 lbs

I have been working out for about 3 years. But I've only seriously started going for the past four months. I want to lose weight, but still gain muscle (like most everyone else). I have started my new diet of protein in the morning (oatmeal,wheat, protein shake) with small meals during the day. I quit drinking everything besides lots of water. I have been on this diet for about 2 months and lost about 40 lbs. I think 30 lbs of it was water weight because I used to drink a lot of soda and the rest is from the diet. I go to the gym 5 times a week, working a different muscle everyday. I'm on No-Explod and CellMass. Before every workout I run a half-mile to get my heartrate up. Then after my workout I run about 2 miles. I've noticed that my lifting is at a plateau and my muscles don't look any different then when I started. I try to change up how I do everything, like doing free weight and then machine every other week. My main goal is to lose my fat, but I still want to lift and get stronger during the process. I always try to do 5 things for every muscle. On the 4th or 5th exercise I start to lift heavier to get that flair in my muscle. I know there are people that are more knowledgable then I am about weightlifting and weightloss in here then I am. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do with this. If there is anything that needs to be included just say so and I'll do the best I can to put it in. Thanks.

sounds like you got the diet and workout routine jotted down, but hows the form on your lifts?

ive seen folks at the gym that bench 225lb+ easy and i only bench 185lb and i have a more "built" chest than them. if your not seeing results, i would only guess its your form.

as for dropping more lbs, check out www.fitday.com and track your calories. a good general is 40% protein/30% fat/30%carb for your daily intake percentage. its best to go 500 calories FEWER than your maintance cals. IE: if your maintanece level cals is 2500, reduce it down to 2000 or around that range.

its a difficult task to lose weight and gain muscle. however, reducing body fat and gaining muscle is possible though.

Well if you are on a cutting diet then you are not really going to see too much strength and muscle size increases until you switch back to a bulk (which will happen after you end your cut).

NO Xplode and CellMass aren't necessary but if you have the money to throw at supplements then you are welcome to buy them.

If you want a good workout routine then try WBB1 (click on the Wannabebig Articles drop-menu on this site and then click on 'Weight Lifting Routines'). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 4 or 5 exercises by muscle but regardless WBB1 is accepted as a decent routine for almost all beginners.

As jtteg_x said to lose more weight decrease your calories (preferably reducing carbs so as to make sure you get enough fat and protein).

BTW I question how you lost 40lbs in 2 months and I'm not sure how 30lbs of it could just be 'water weight' but it's nice that you lost it, congrats.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    jjteg x whats an example of the foods that you would take for the percentages that you listed?

Johnson,

Major props for losing a boatload of weight - I'm sure you're feeling much better about yourself now!

A more accurate way to figure out your diet is based on your LBM, not on percentages. I'll help you.

What are your calories like now?

And a word to the wise - do your cardio after you lift, not before. No need to get your heart rate up for lifting - in fact, doing cardio before you lift can be counterproductive to your goals.

First off, well done ditching the pop and fizzy drinks. They are evil, seriously! :P

Follow the advice. A member here called Built has a great cutting program.

You probably won't gain strength on a cut but you will increase muscle definition. Then you can just bulk again!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I've heard that Built is the guy to go to for pretty much everything in here. I'm pretty knew to the site. I'll try only running after and not before that seems pretty logical to me. I'm pretty disperate to try anything since I'm just idoling at 220 lbs and I'm still eating and going to the gym hardcore. Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson_796
    Yeah I've heard that Built is the guy to go to for pretty much everything in here.
    Johnson ... click here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63899

and here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71572

Johnson, you have been hazed.

Lemme know what I can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson_796
    Yeah I've heard that Built is the guy ....
    I recommend clicking on "his" pics link.

hes pretty hot! =D

congrats on the weight loss, i suggest you check WBB1 and builds program.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Heh didn't even realize you replied Built until after I posted Thanks for looking at the my thread.

My calories for the day are pretty much as follows:

Upon waking (usually 9 A.M.): Protein shake(100% Whey, 120 Calories, 34g Protein). An apple, and a full glass of water.

2 hours later: I eat a granola bar (100 calories) and a full glass of water.

2 hours later: Another granola bar (100 calories) and a full glass of water.

2 hours later: (Usually I go to the gym at 3 P.M.) Drink 1 serving of No-Explod (36 Calories) and 1 glass serving of Cellmass (38 calories) all on an empty stomach, then head to the gym after 30 minutes. I stay at the gym for 2 hours.

Back from the gym (dinner): Oatmeal (110 calories, 3g Protein) and a full glass of water.

2 hours later: I think this is what is killing me in dropping more weight, but I leave that for you guys to decide. Chips (140 Calories) and Salsa (10 calories). Only eat until moderatly full.

That is pretty much what I eat for 5 days out of the week. On the weekends we usually go out to eat. I have the 6oz steak w/ potatos and water. I hardly ever touch the potatos though. Do I need to add anything, eat more, eat less, what? Thanks for the help.

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry Built for saying "Yeah I've heard that Built is the GUY to go to." Didn't realize until I looked at your thread. Very impressive.

Wannabebig Member
    Also I was wondering if you have any tips for losing love-handles. I have them bad and don't know how to lose them. I thought doing twists or whatever those are would just build muscle underneath and not actually lose the love-handles. Hope someone understood my backwards ass english. Thanks.

Erm, if that's all you eat in a day, that's less than 1000 calories...

That's not good. You need to eat 500kcal under your maintenance. Your maintenance value is the calories which your body utilises every day. If you supply your maintenance your gain in calories (through eating) equals loss of calories (through exercise, basal metabolism etc) and you dont gain or lose weight.

Think of it this way.

If IN minus OUT = 0 - your weight stays the same.
    If you IN minus OUT = positive - you gain weight.
    If IN minus OUT = negative - you lose weight.

You want to cut gently, removing 500kcal from your maintenance. You also want to do weights to try and keep your muscle. Do your cardio after your weights workout too.

If you are only eating 1000kcal a day for a guy your size you are basically starving yourself. Your body will actually hold onto fat because it think it is starving.
    It's not the chips and salsa killing you from losing weight.

Johnson
    NP on the guy thing. I get that a lot. Hence the name of my pix thread.

Can you put your food into fitday and get a total for protein, carb, and fat, and total calories? We'll start there.

And I agree completely with Davidelmo. It's not the chips and salsa.

Wannabebig Member
    So what should a guy my size be eating a day then? Should I eat a lot of protein or carbohydrates?

Combat Infantryman
    More than Oatmeal. See Built's thread for a cutting diet. I personally eat 4-5 protein shakes a day with a dabble of whole wheat bread inbetween for my carbs and fat. I'm 5'9" 208lbs with maintenace cals of around 2750 and I'm taking in between 1800-2300 calories depending on the day to give you some perspective.

As for love-handles, you'll want to do Oblique work along with dieting. Side crunches, side bends, bar twists, etc.
    Last edited by Bikkstah; 12-21-2005 at 09:21 PM.

You need healthy complex carbs - oatmeal is great but you need more than that per day. Bread (not the stuff filled with sugar though), pasta, rice etc are all good sources. Potatoes are also good. Avoid fizzy drinks, sugary sweets etc like the plague.

Get your protein from lean meats primarily- but milk, various seeds, soya nuts etc work too. SUPPLEMENT with shakes if you need to, but remember they are supplements, not substitutes.

Get your fats and oils from olive oil, natural peanut butter, fish etc.
    Fats are essential, and eating fats does not make you fat. They are essential for many bodily functions so don't avoid them.
    Avoid saturated and trans fats though - this means no greasy burgers, avoid animal fat etc.

I would GUESS that you should aim for ~2500kcal a day, but there's only one way to find out. You need to fine tune your diet for you because it varies person to person. If you gain weight or stay the same on 2500, bring it down. If your weight is plummeting too quickly, bring it up a little.

Hope that helps.

Animal fat is okay, actually - saturated fat supports test production. But I'm with you on the trans fats, David.