Thread: cardio

Wannabebig Member

cardio

I am planning on working on my cardio fitness level. I want to lose weight fast and increase my endurance. My weight loss goal is about 40 lbs. I am not too concerned about gaining muscle mass at the moment, I just want to lose the weight. My endurance level, when it comes to running/bicycling has always been poor, especially since a back injury I am still battling with. So I really want to increase my endurance.

Thanks.

what's your diet like?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

What exactly is your question?

If you want to increase endurance, then cardio will help.

Wannabebig Member
    Recently I have become a lazy slob again, but perhaps 2 years ago I started cycling at first my endurance was little to none, but after 6 months I was cycling 10 miles a day.

Cycling will really firm up your calfs and thighs as well as your butt I guess. I find cycling machines extremly tedious! You should get yourself a nice bike and cycle round where you live, or go on little adventures to keep you intrested.

As far as diet goes If you want to loose weight then you need to study what your eating, but excersie is perhaps the best way to loose weight.

That reminds me I better start cycling

rpl

Weight loss is diet.

FAT loss is diet plus heavy lifting. What's your diet like? Are you training now? What's your lifting split look like?

Losing weight is easy, don't eat, and do lots of cardio. Losing fat is different. I've seen WAY too many people lose weight to land up being nothing more then ugly sacks of skin. Folds and drooping skin looks worse to me then alittle pudge. Do it right, do it the built method and be happy with the results. Focus on building and maintaining muscle.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    I looked at WBB1 workout and I think I'll do that. I won't be able to use the free weights, but I'll use the machines and work the same muscles that the workout says to do. Is that good? But in the first place I figured I would lift for endurance, in other words, lift light but high reps, plus cardio.
    Right now, I am watching what I eat and not eating a lot. Reason being, I am at my parents house for Christmas. Once I get back I plan to hit the gym and stick to a healthy diet.
    What sort of diet should I be on in addition to exercising?

No, use free weights.

Lift heavy and short. It's how you convince your body to hang onto/build muscle. High rep work convinces your body to drop muscle. Not what you want.

Diet is really individual. You'll need to track on www.fitday.com for at least a week, post up the macros (protein, carb and fat grams, total calories) and we'll help from there.

We will NOT help you AT ALL with your diet until you do this, so get on it.

Wannabebig Member
    I logged on to fitday.com today and will post results in the next in the next 5 days or so.

Wannabebig Member
    Even if my goal is to lose weight, should I lift heavy and short? I was thinking that lifting light and long would burn more fat. But like you said, I'd lose muscle, right? Well, could I do both? For example, when I do 3 sets of bench, the 1st set would be light and long and the last 2 short and heavy. And, as far as lifting, I'll probably follow WBB1 workout, I'll have to improvise if I can't use free weights.
    Also, its all right if I bike then lift, right? And, when I bike, I am going to start at 20-30 minutes, and extend the time, and if I use a bike at the gym, I'll increase the level of toughness, once it gets easier. I'll bike Mon-Fri. Does that sound good? Too much?
    Thanks.

Cardio after lifting. Lifting is far more important. You don't want to deplete you energy stores and compromise yoru workouts before lifting.

Yes, short and heavy. Listen to the Goddess of Fitness as she will lead you on the path to leaness.
    Nick V

lifting = more muscle (hopefuly)
    more muscle = faster metabolism

power to you brother
    I don't have time. I make time.

Wannabebig Member
    Would it be okay, for each exercise, if I did one set for light and long and two heavy and short?
    I always thought it was better to do cardio before lifting, that way you get your blood pumping before you lift. No?
    I figure I'll bike Mon-Fri, starting at 20-30 minutes, is that too much?
    Again, my goal is to lose fat and build endurance ( biking/running long distance ), not muscle. I am not focused on building muscle right now.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rpl; 12-22-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Do a light cardio warmup for 5 mins before your weightlifting

But leave your serious cardio until after.

If you do cardio first you'll be too knackered to lift heavy weights.

No cardio before - you can do a 5-minute warmup if you feel you MUST (I never do), but cardio before will actually burn less fat than cardio after, weirdly enough.

Light weights WILL burn slighly more fat. Initially. But - it will also burn more muscle. Not good.

The whole point of lifting heavy while dieting is to convince your body to hang onto as much muscle as possible.

In a diet (famine) your body wants to keep you alive, so it tosses the metabolically expensive muscle and clings to fat to help you survive the duration of the famine.

Your mission, should you accept it, is to somehow convince your body that it really needs to hang onto that energy-draining muscle. The only way to do this naturally is to lift heavy. Lifting light won't convince your body that you need all that muscle.

Make sense now?

Oh, and you really can't build a lot of muscle on a diet. The best you can usually hope for is to hang onto what you have.

Good.. i said the same thing as Built. I must be right

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, thanks for all the help. Yes, it does make sense now.