Thread: When to start cutting?

Hybrid View

When to start cutting?

I'm coming to the end of my first consistent bulk. For the past one and a half years, since I started training, my diet has been all over the place, lacking any consistency in either bulking or cutting, and only over the past 3 and a half months have I been bulking consitently. I'm not sure whether to stop bulking and start cutting in a few weeks time. Naturally I'm about 8-10% bf. Since September I've gone up to roughly 13-14%, you can still just about see my abs. I have no experience of how quickly I can lose weight so I'm not sure when to start my cut for summer. I want to be down to 8% by April, and hopefully 6% by July. Any idea how long this might take. I know you can never really know till you try it yourself. The trouble is I'd still like to gain mass (who doesn't?), but I want to be at 8% bf by April more than anything. So bearing in mind that I'm pretty ectomorphic, how long would it take to get from say 14% bf to 8%?

Here are my stats:

bulking cals 4000-5000

Height 6'4"

Squat 6x275 parallel

Deadlift 3x360

Bench 6x225

I'd say I look as I should for performing those lifts, just to give you an estimate of my size since I have no pics. Sorry that's not very helpful I know.
    Also anyone know much about UD 2.0?

Thanks

I'm pretty curious myself..how long can you expect to lose a % of bodyfat? I know it depends on everything and you can't calculate...but just an example of what to expect?

Well let's do some reasonable math here. It's the end of December so I'll round it to early January.

Whatever your maintenance calories are, if you were to decrease it by about 500 Calories a day then you would lose roughly 1lb of fat a week. Each lb of fat, assuming you are around 200lbs, is .5% bodyfat. So roughly 2% a month, so let's see here: 12% by February, 10% by March, 8% by early April.

This is only if your stats are around what I put and if you were to start your cut about now. The only variable that could screw you up, especially at your low bf% is that not all of the weight you'll be losing will be fat, so these are very rough figures but still decreasing your diet by 500 calories is pretty easy/painless.

How much do you weigh though?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Oh yeah my weight, forgot that, it's 200lbs, thanks for the advice thpugh.
    I'm not on creatine, and I only drink about 3 litres of water a day, so I don't think I have that much water retention.

I'm also quite surprised as to how much fat I've gained in such a short period of time. People are always talking about how lean they remain throughout a bulk. My bulk is pretty clean as well.
    I was thinking of bulking till the end of january.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    I'm also quite surprised as to how much fat I've gained in such a short period of time. People are always talking about how lean they remain throughout a bulk.
    SOME people remain lean throughout a bulk but I'd say the vast majority of us do have to put up with quite a bit of added fat also. That's the name of the game.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

If you gain more fat than muscle perhaps your calories are too high? A pound a week is supposed to be good but if you're thinking long term wouldn't a half-pound a week, as long as you lifted heavy, help make dead certain the extra goes to muscle?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

I think in general the more excess calories you have, the higher the fat:muscle weight increase ratio.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Hmmm I think I'll bulk till mid january, than start the cut. I think it would be realistic given my metabolism etc to get to 8% by april. What do you guys reckon? Furthermore I think I may be less than 14%, but its' difficult to tell.