Thread: Can running replace working my legs?

Wannabebig New Member

Can running replace working my legs?

I've lurked here off and on for quite some time and finally decided to make an account because I need opinions.

I've been working out for only a year, and only for the most recent 6 months have I been really trying to get better at it.

I've always been a runner and, truthfully, I prefer running to lifting. However there is no doubt that my body has changed in the past year and I like it. I'm increasing my focus on lifting as much as I can as I get stronger.

Because I run, I avoid working my legs out. At all. I get the impression that is very frowned upon here. Let's say I run ~30 miles a week, including some hills. I feel my legs are pretty muscular because of this. However maybe I'm fooling myself.

Can I avoid working my legs and have the running take care of them?

What I'm struggling with is time. In an ideal world, I could focus completely on becoming a better runner and also completely on getting my body built perfectly through lifting. Unfortunately there's only so much time in the day and so I have to pick and choose how I work out.

Right now I lift 4 days a week; for 2 days I do biceps, shoulders and back, and for the other 2 days I do chest, triceps and abs. I'm sure you can tell that I am in no way hardcore about this, yet I do want to improve and just be sure that I'm not wasting time on things that aren't going to really help me.

Another thing I'm afraid of is that if I suddenly add a lot of leg exercises to my lifting routine, my legs are going to be sore for a week or two and that's going to impede my running. I run almost every day. I know that's only a temporary problem.

Running will not make your legs significantly bigger or stronger.

To avoid soreness, ease yourself into working your legs and stretch properly afterwards.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I think that weight training can improve your running ability. if you train for it, muscular endurance training is an excellent way to improve running technique and ability.

It will help achieve stronger muscles, plus more stable joints. Im not sure on the rep, set range although i used to train with a decent long distance runner and most of his training was reps in the 20-40 range, 2-3 sets
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

runfaster21 your legs will not regularly be sore for a week or more. First couple times you lift legs they will be really sore for up to a week but I'd say after a month (at most) that your legs will stop getting sore from lifting.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

If you want to become a better runner, go with running.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I went from 130lbs to 190lbs. My legs gained about 5" in size. I can run the 100m faster now than I could before.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I went from 130lbs to 190lbs. My legs gained about 5" in size. I can run the 100m faster now than I could before.
    but he is a long distance runner.

however trian your legs for a little power. rather than size.

runners with more powerful can improve sprint finishes or even powering up the hills.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Banned
    Sort of on topic: I do a fair amount of cycling. Rides are usually around 35km in just over an hour. That's moving pretty fast (edit: on a mountain bike, obviously this is a slow pace for a road bike).

Squatting has made me a stronger and fast rider. I have not suffered any adverse side effects from weight gain on my cardiovascular conditioning.

I would think that lifting would help your long distance running, although I would anticipate that your lifting gains would be restricted due to the canabolic conditions that long distance (or cycling) can introduce.
    Last edited by jkirkpatrick; 12-23-2005 at 11:13 AM.

sorry but my legs always get sore from lifting, a little the next day, and heaps the day after, but fine on the 3rd day

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    runfaster21 your legs will not regularly be sore for a week or more. First couple times you lift legs they will be really sore for up to a week but I'd say after a month (at most) that your legs will stop getting sore from lifting.
    That's only if you jump in head first.

You can start with a very low intensity level and work into it, stretch sufficiently afterward, and take suppliments (such as glutamine) that help replace the depleted acids in your body that contribute to DOMS.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by runfaster21
    Can I avoid working my legs and have the running take care of them?
    You can do whatever you want. If you don't lift, your legs will be skinny no matter what you do for running.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfaster21
    Another thing I'm afraid of is that if I suddenly add a lot of leg exercises to my lifting routine, my legs are going to be sore for a week or two and that's going to impede my running.
    Then don't do it suddenly. Start with 1 set of squats, the next week do 2, and keep building up slowly.