The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Getfit/Built and any other females, I need your input

My sister and another female friend of mine asked me how they could lose 10 lbs and looked "tone".

Of course i told them that toning was a myth and they could either burn fat or build muscle, but not both at same time.

What do you suggest I suggest to them as for reshaping their body? A cut to burn fat or a bulk to build muscle. They will be highly apprehensive to put on more weight. But i fear even if they cut the fat out there wont be any muscle under there.

What kind of routine should I suggest to them.

Thanks Ladies.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

what are their stats? diet? are they training at all?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D
    My sister and another female friend of mine asked me how they could lose 10 lbs and looked "tone".

Of course i told them that toning was a myth and they could either burn fat or build muscle, but not both at same time.

What do you suggest I suggest to them as for reshaping their body? A cut to burn fat or a bulk to build muscle. They will be highly apprehensive to put on more weight. But i fear even if they cut the fat out there wont be any muscle under there.

What kind of routine should I suggest to them.

Thanks Ladies.

Have them eat at mainteance and lift heavy. Once they understand the principles they wont be so apprehensive about bulking.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

As untrained individuals, these women will be able to enjoy newbie gains - they will put on a small amount of muscle while dropping fat. The biggest difference between a bulk and a cut is the diet. If they eat at a small caloric deficit and train in the strength range (ie typical low-rep cutting recommendations you'll usually read here and that virutally no personal trainers will recommend), they'll lean out and harden up, possibly even putting on a small amount of muscle in the process.

What kind of starting points are we talking here - what training do they do now, what body composition are we looking at?

why not ask them to join the board.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Theyll never join the board I know them.

Sister: 5'1,130 lbs or so. She has weight trained in the past, she recently just completed a triathalon. Age 31

Friend: 5'2, about 125 lbs I would sayl. She is the basic cardio type, I dont think she has ever done any lifts besides bicep curls. Age 24.

Ill have to get them measured at the gym for BF%.

Okay, so they're likely not overly fat - probably in the 25% bodyfat range - and they're both in reasonable cardiovascular shape.

Cool. This is a good start.

They'll need to track for a few days or a week on fitday to get some numbers for us.

I will like to see the advice in this thread. My g/f is pretty much in the same boat. She wants to tone up a little. On June 1 I seriously changed what i eat where I cleaned up my clalorie intake and reduced it a little. To the day today I lost 10 10lbs and my gut is gone. I was 6' at 206-208 and now I am 198. She eats the same food as me for the most part and she lost a little but didnt have the same results as me.

Quote Originally Posted by bics56
    I will like to see the advice in this thread. My g/f is pretty much in the same boat. She wants to tone up a little. On June 1 I seriously changed what i eat where I cleaned up my clalorie intake and reduced it a little. To the day today I lost 10 10lbs and my gut is gone. I was 6' at 206-208 and now I am 198. She eats the same food as me for the most part and she lost a little but didnt have the same results as me.
    how's your diet like? does she train?

gain 50lbs-Anthony

We cut out as much as the "bad" carbs as we could. Also we cut out a lot of sat fat as well. An example of her daily meals are as follows. She will eat sugar free oatmeal, then a few hours later a weight watchers breakfast bar. Then for lunch either left over dinner from the day b4 or a chicken salad. Then for dinner we have a meat, veg and salad. If she does have snacks it is either fruit, ff yogurt, or veggies. Her salads are always no cheese and a lot of veggies with FF Italian dressing.

For what she does for fitness she will run on the treadmill for a couple miles and get on the elip machine...she usually tried to burn around 600 cals total. Then on other days she will just run a little and weight train with light weights in the 12-15 rep range where one day she does upper body and other day lower body.

try to keep the set/rep range short and heavy( as heavy as she can manage)

healthy fats as well?

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    try to keep the set/rep range short and heavy( as heavy as she can manage)

healthy fats as well?
    We are limiting our intake of sat fat...in the past she had results with reducing her calories in the 1500 range...which I think is a bit drastic.

There's no real need to eliminate saturated fat - you DO need SOME. I eat butter and egg yolks daily. Good for test production.

What macronutrient targets does she try to hit? And what do you mean by "bad" carbs?

we dont completely cut them out but we try to keep them to a min. I realize you need some but we cut them down considerably. Bad carbs I mean anything like white bread, sugar, idaho potatoes, ect and now only eat "good carbs" like veggies, some fruit, nuts, wheat, ect.

There can be room on a cut for white carbs - but it is probably a good idea to stick to the more nutrient dense foods when you're eating so much less food overall.

What targets do you shoot for in terms of protein, carb and fat for the gf?

For protein I try to get as much as possible. I eat a protein bar every morning, somthing loaded with protein for lunch and dinner, then I have a 60 gram protein shake at night. So i am getting around 1 gram per lb I weigh on average. She eats the same as me except the protein shake...but weight a lot less than me. For carbs we try to get some in everyday with veggies and fruit at least...then I eat nuts, and there are days where I will eat wheat wraps or brown rice...ect

Starting the month of june my goal was to lose my gut I was starting to get. As of now I am 95% happy with it...it is almost gone. I am going to get more serious with working my abs to bring them out more since all the fat is pretty much gone now. So now I want to maintain...maybe even gain a little but not really a bulk. So I am going to keep my eating habits the same for what I eat but try to take in a little more.

For her she has some fat she still wants to shed. She says around 10 lbs. So her plan is to reduce her calories a little more and eat clean.

For our fat intake like I said before we watch out sat fat intake but do not cut it out totaly. I think everything worked awsome for me but since she eats the same meals as me and I only eat slightly larger portions she needs to cut them down a little more. I mean we are both eating really clean and I saw better results so we figured she just needs less calories.

what kind of macros should i shoot for with them?

Its hard to say...on average I say I get around 180-200 grams of protein she may ger 120-140, fat and carbs I dont know...what i can say is our diet now is really clean, where we cut down on "bad" carbs and fat

can you look at what I posted before on post 10 and 16 to get an idea?
    Last edited by bics56; 06-26-2006 at 02:14 PM.

sorry I do not know...I think we got a pretty good diet down...I think that since she eats as almost as much as i am eating her results are a little slower than mine. So our plan is for her to reduce her calories a little and for me to up mine a little so she can lose and i will not lose anymore.

Now weight training wise I have a solid routine for myself...I think i am going to tell her to focus more on lifting than cardio. I always tell her the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be.

All this seem like a good idea to you?

If she is trying to cut, she's NOT going to put on a significant amount of muscle, regardless of the training. Heavy (for her) lifting in short, "strength-range" sets will preserve her LBM and harden her up on a cut.

"Having a pretty good diet down" doesn't translate to results.

You want results - you simply HAVE to track diet. Plug in a couple days into fitday, post up the average.
    We need to see this part.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    If she is trying to cut, she's NOT going to put on a significant amount of muscle, regardless of the training. Heavy (for her) lifting in short, "strength-range" sets will preserve her LBM and harden her up on a cut.

"Having a pretty good diet down" doesn't translate to results.

You want results - you simply HAVE to track diet. Plug in a couple days into fitday, post up the average.
    We need to see this part.

I say having a good diet down does end in results...if you start out with a diet that was worse. cutting overall calories and changing them to clean calories will almost always yield some kind of result. As long as you do it serious. To be 100% honest I dont see myself or her tracking what we eat. I think counting calories and watching what you are taking in is "good enough". I realize tracking is better but like I said I dont see either of us doing it. I know you hate to hear that ...sorry

Nothing to be sorry about - I just can't help you if I don't know how she's eating.

I got very fat eating a "good diet".

You can NOT cardio off an uncontrolled diet. It ultimately won't work, at least in terms of truly leaning out.

It's just the way it works. Nothing personal. I wish you every success. I just can't help but think this is going to be unnecessarily frustrating for her.