The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lagging muscle groups... need some advice

I'm wondering how to pick up some lagging body parts. My legs are doing great as well as my triceps and back. However, I feel my Chest, shoulders and biceps are really lagging! I've been stuck on shoulders for at least 6 months. I'm doing seated DB presses at 55lbs for a while now and lateral raises haven't moved up at all (still stuck at 20lbs). If I try to move up in lateral raises, I can't get them up.

Chest sucks too. About 3 months ago I switched to doing DB Bench press because I hit a serious plateau in regular BB bench press (about 155). I made an improvement from doing 60x8 up to 75x8. However, I'm not going over that for a while now. If you look at my log it shows me making fast improvements in bench but that's only because I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder and I went light for a while and built back up to 75's. I was doing 75x8 for like a month before that with no improvement. 75's seem to be a max for me right now. I figure biceps will eventually come into play, but I haven't made improvements in that area either for quite some time.

So, any help is appreciated. Does anyone have a good shoulder and chest routine that can help me out?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

On your bench, when you add weight and try to press it, where do you get stuck at (right off your chest, half way, etc)? There are certain things you can do to help wherever you getting stuck at. Or bring up the lagging part(s) that play(s) a role in where you are getting stuck at. Other than that I can tell you your going to be asked how your diet is doing and that if your not progressing then your not eating enough... and its true. So might want to make sure you got your diet in check.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 12-27-2005 at 06:18 AM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

My diet can be seen on fitday on the link in my signature. I haven't been doing my fitday for the christmas holiday since my eating is all over the place! However, it will be started back on Jan 3rd after the vacation time. However, I'm eating pretty clean and pulling in 3300 calories a day with about 250 - 300g of protein and around 250 - 300g of carbs a day as well. My diet consists of mainly chicken, turkey, lean beef, TONS of milk (about 3/4 gallon a day), natural PB, whole grain breads/pasta's, etc...

I was taking in about 4,000 calories a day but I noticed I was putting on more fat than muscle at that point. So I toned it down to 3,300 - 3,500 a day. However, even with the 4,000 calories a day I wasn't making any gains... I know I'll gain some fat, but it's obvious when you're gaining more fat than muscle. Especially on me. However, if your "not progressing means you're not eating enough" is true, well, I'm making excellent progression in legs (check out the journal) and also in back a bit so I am progressing, just not in certain areas.

I think my diet is going well and I'm putting on weight. I think most of it may be with the leg growth I've had lately though cause as I've said, I have these lagging body parts.

I can put more weight up, but of course my reps go down a lot. For instance if I go from 75 DB's to 80 DB's, I go from 8 reps to 4 reps per set and I can't seem to push up more than 8 reps on the 75's. For incline I was doing 155x6 and it seems I took a step back on that because now I can barely push out 7 reps of 145 for the past month!

As far as where I get stuck, it depends on how much weight, of course... If I just try to add 5 or 10 more lbs to the bar, I'll get stuck around the 4th rep about half way up.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Have you tried not doing any direct delt/bicep work yet? This may sound backwards, but if you focus on the heavy compounds, and drop the iso/direct work, you may come out ahead.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

If you are wanting strength to go up, you could try something like this:
    (sets/reps)
    week1: 4x6
    week2: 5x5
    Week3: 6x4
    Week4: 10x3

Using the same weight for all sets/reps. Adding weight each week.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    Have you tried not doing any direct delt/bicep work yet? This may sound backwards, but if you focus on the heavy compounds, and drop the iso/direct work, you may come out ahead.
    Like what? As of now, I thought my routine is fairly covered on compound work. I do some iso/direct work such as tricep extension, preacher curls and lateral raises... but that's about all. Everything else is compound.

That's a lot of info to take in... I read it all and I think it just confused me more...

Pick one of those and give it a shot. Whatever you're doing right now isn't working, so you have nothing to lose.

Just do military press and bench press for your chest and delts. Substitute DBs if you want. Wave the set/rep schemes so you don't stagnate. Do this for a couple months. If you don't see any results, you are not doing something right (diet, recovery, intensity, etc.).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Chin-ups and dips have always served me very well at plateaus in my chest/delts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Just do military press and bench press for your chest and delts. Substitute DBs if you want. Wave the set/rep schemes so you don't stagnate. Do this for a couple months. If you don't see any results, you are not doing something right (diet, recovery, intensity, etc.).
    So only do bench press on Chest day and only do military press on shoulder day? Or do those both on the same day? Wave what set/rep scheme?