Thread: Shrug Question

Hybrid View

Shrug Question

Quick ? here guys, when you get to 400 + shrugs, are you seriously keeping the arms dead and hanging completely with all the pull from shrugging shoulders? or do you use the arms also to shrug a weight that high?
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    Quick ? here guys, when you get to 400 + shrugs, are you seriously keeping the arms dead and hanging completely with all the pull from shrugging shoulders? or do you use the arms also to shrug a weight that high?
    I'm not the strongest at shrugs, but I don't use my arms. If I am overloading the bar and doing some real heavy shrugs, I might use a bit of legs to start the movement, as long as a get a good contraction. You have to be careful about overloading and cheating, you can put some serious pressure on the lower back. Even though you are "cheating" it has to remain under control.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If you can use your arms to shrug up 400+, then you have some pretty damn strong arms...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    If you can use your arms to shrug up 400+, then you have some pretty damn strong arms...

agreed when you get to that weight its almost a given that your arms are dead with the exception of your foearms for holding on to the weight, ive shruged 405 for reps, tht was crazy, felt like my traps were about to explode..........damn that was good ****
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Let me just add this: DON'T TRY TO USE YOUR ARMS ON HEAVY SHRUGS OR DEADLIFTS. You're just asking for a bicep injury.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Let me just add this: DON'T TRY TO USE YOUR ARMS ON HEAVY SHRUGS OR DEADLIFTS. You're just asking for a bicep injury.
    no ****... when I started out, I remember how bad my biceps hurt when I didnt keep my arms straight when I shrugged. If the weight is too much that you have to 'cheat' to move it, then drop the weight a little to something that you can get true reps out of.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Combat Infantryman
    I'll drop the bar onto my quads then back up again to get it started when I'm going heavy or trying a higher weight.

alright that clears it up, was wondering for when i approch 400's thanks all.
    2000 or bust

One other bit that I've noticed when shrugging 400+......don't just emphasize the contracted (shrugged) position, let the bar down as slow and low as possible.
    BTW if you're doing heavy deads and/or power cleans, you'll find that you won't need to shrug.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

do them w/ DB's. maybe that will help out a little? not sure.

BIG BOI
    i agree with pbx4sho, i like using DBs alot more then front or behind the back shrugs...but i had a questions about the bicep things u guys are saying.. so im suppose 2 keep my arms str8? no bend in the elbows at all? i normally keep a slight bend but if keeping them str8 is better please let me know...

btw i never liked barbell shrugs really ive done up to 315 on them but hated them... now 150lb DB shrugs...now thats a workout baby!!! lol

i have no problem with them, i was just wondering, i can shrug 315 with no problems what so ever.
    2000 or bust

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    damn an easy 315 lbs shrug for a 16 year old is pretty damn good.
    i can do only 185 if i want to do 12 or more good reps.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

ive been blessed with good genes and by the lord im guessing.

+ ive been fat my whole life which probley led to good muscle buildup under my sexual chocolate
    2000 or bust

BIG BOI
    ive been blessed with good genes and by the lord im guessing.

+ ive been fat my whole life which probley led to good muscle buildup under my sexual chocolate
    being fat does have its advantages lol ....can i ask how u lost the weight?

btw congrats on that accomplishment!!

Some people are just wicked strong at shrugs, a buddy of mine who had just started going to the gym shruged 425lbs twice... my jaw hit the ground. The problem I have is the bar keeps on hitting off my man meat.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Some people are just wicked strong at shrugs, a buddy of mine who had just started going to the gym shruged 425lbs twice... my jaw hit the ground. The problem I have is the bar keeps on hitting off my man meat.
    ROFLMAO! mine to it crushes my sack, but thats a diff story.

to the other poster, i lost the weight from a STRICT diet, cardio, and lifting.
    2000 or bust

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    ROFLMAO! mine to it crushes my sack, but thats a diff story.

to the other poster, i lost the weight from a STRICT diet, cardio, and lifting.
    yo bro i just noticed the drop in your weight. congrats man... you'll be at 190 in no time.
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

thanks bro, im working on it, friggin 60 lbs and still a dooky roll, and i mean dookey.
    2000 or bust

I don't really do shrugs any more, but I guess I would be in the 500+ range by now. The arms don't really move the weight at all. Like cphafner(i think) said, using arms on heavy shrugs is a doorway to a bicep tear. Also when I do shrugs, I am very strong at the bottom of the movement and it creates some serious upward momentum. If you were catching the blunt of the downward return force with your biceps and high weights, it increases the risk of injury even more.

Of course, this problem is solved by using heavy dead singles and rack pulls to develop your traps instead of shrugs.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

yeah i use deads shrugs and hise shrugs for traps and mils for shoulders, back is my specialty, lol.
    2000 or bust