Thread: Praise to Built (and everyone else here)!

Praise to Built (and everyone else here)!

Early January, 2006, I began taking weightlifting more seriously than I had at any previous moment in my life.

I forced myself to eat healthy foods, started taking suppliments, and increased my total caloric intake quite a bit.

At that time, I was 147 lbs at 6'2". Pretty darn skinny. Unfortunately, I still didn't start a workout routine. I just did the lifts that I felt like doing for that day while trying to make sure I wasn't overtraining any specific muscle group.

Late that quarter (late february, early march), I looked back and wished I had established a firm eating/lifting schedule. So... my lifting bud and I started doing some research and came across Built's four-day split. We decided to create a lifting schedule modeled after her split and begin at the start of this quarter (Late march).

Here's what we came up with:

Monday:
    5x5 Dumbell press
    3x8 Bent-over rows
    3x8 Incline benchpress
    5x5 Originally rack pulls, switched to seated rows about 2 weeks into schedule
    3x10 Standing calves
    Abs

Tuesday:
    5x5 Squat
    3x12 Leg curls
    3x8 Leg press (quad)
    Biceps > 5x5 bar curls, 3x8 hammer curls

Thursday:
    3x8 Cleans
    5x5 Lat Pulldowns
    5x5 Military press
    3x10 Seated calves
    Abs

Friday:
    3x8 Romanian deadlift
    3x12 Leg lifts
    5x5 Leg press, high + wide (hamstring)
    Triceps > Skull crusher, press downs (name?)

We've stuck firmly to this schedule and have seen fantastic results. I also began making small, weekly trips to Costco (food warehouse type thing) to keep my kitchen stocked with chicken/beef, cottage cheese, peanut butter, bread, fruit/nuts, vegetables, tunafish, canned salmon, etc, etc. It turns out that I'm spending less weekly on food, but getting more calories than I was previously. Thank you, bulk food suppliers.

Supps:
    Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin C
    Creatine
    ETS
    Green Tea extract

By the end of the first quarter, I was fluctuating between 152-155lbs, and my lifts had gone up a bit, although not a whole lot, but my recent gains have been amazing.

Presently, my weight fluctuates between 163 and 166lbs. I'm impressed.

Start of this quarter, my squat rep range was 95lbs to 135lbs (which was hard for me), and now it's 135lbs to 225lbs (which is now equally difficult as 135lbs used to be) (5x5). Dumbell bench went from 35lbs-55lbs to 55lbs-75lbs. My other lifts have increased in a comparable fashion.

I'd just like to thank you Built for the great lifting schedule, and everyone else here at Wannabebig.com for all the info on diet, lifting, and staying healthy. ^______^

Please give feedback/criticisms/suggestions, especially for after this quarter ends (June)... at which time I plan on changing my lifting routine, however I'm not really sure where to move from here. It's not good to keep the same routine for a long time, right? Or wrong?
    Last edited by TECHO; 04-27-2006 at 02:42 PM.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Whoa, nice progress! Congrats on pushing/pulling well and selecting an awesome virtual instructor.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Nice job. Bulk is great in both senses of the term.

Looks like you have quite a voluminous routin, particularly Monday.

Keep it up!

I've got to say thanks as well to built. I am following the same program, and I am actually one of Techo's lifting partners. It definitely works. My biggest increase has been my back. I am now pulling 210 down for a couple, and 165-195 x 5 ( previously I was at 150 for a couple, 105-135 x5) as well as pulling. Also my seated row went from a 150 for a couple, to 247 for one, 225 for a couple, and 195-210 x 5. All my other lifts as well have increased... Its been quite a good routine, but the weekends are a freaking savior... techo can attest.

Quote Originally Posted by kpd
    weekends are a freaking savior... techo can attest.
    Yea... they certainly are. My body is destroyed by Friday. My coworkers make fun of me Friday nights because I'm such a wreck.

Congrats on Joining WBB journals!

Holy crap... I <3 cleans so much. Just finished my thursday lift. 155lbs for 6 reps. New record! It really amazes me how much of a difference form makes with cleans. When I started them I could barely do 95lbs 5 times.

Also, I gotta question. I need to work deadlifts into my workout. Any suggestions on a good day to work those in, and should I sub out any of my current lifts? I've never done them before.

~

Horizontal push pull is the place I'd put deads.

I just started with the cleans last week on vertical day, and I've missed them! Glad I was reminded about them from reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Horizontal push pull is the place I'd put deads.

I just started with the cleans last week on vertical day, and I've missed them! Glad I was reminded about them from reading this thread.
    Awesome, thanks!

Thursday, May 25:

Jump Rope 15 min warm up

Clean:

115 x 10 warmup
    135 x 8
    155 x 6
    165 x 3
    165 x 3

Pull up:

Warm-up set, no weight 5 reps
    25lbs x 5 (decided it was too heavy to start)
    20lbs x 5
    20lbs x 5
    20lbs x 4.5
    25lbs x 4.5

Military:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 4 >:\

Shrugs:

135 x 8
    185 x 8
    205 x 6
    225 x 6
    245 x 4

I hurt :S

New high on cleans, though! /happy

Yes, it is.. and I was way too tired afterward. One of my lifting buddies was late, so I just kept jump roping.. hehe.. I didn't go too hard, though. After 8 or so minutes I just did enough to keep my body moving. I didn't wanna sit for any amount of time after warming up but before cleaning.
    Last edited by TECHO; 05-25-2006 at 11:09 PM.