Thread: Bowflex

Wannabebig Member

Bowflex

Has anyone tried the Bowflex? I'd like to know if you get results that you can't get w\free weights.

The price is pretty steep and everything is an extra or an add-on.

Iron4Life
    I used one for about 6 months way back in the early 90's.. thought it was decent for a maintenance type of program.. but it just doesn't cut it like free weights or even body weight exercises.

I gave it to a friend (because I got it free).. who gave it to his mother.. a lady about 50 at the time... she loved it.. and after wearing it out 2 years later, she joined a gym... and thought she was toned/strong enough for that environment...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Leo
    Has anyone tried the Bowflex? I'd like to know if you get results that you can't get w\free weights.

The price is pretty steep and everything is an extra or an add-on.
    What results "can't" you get with free weights?

In my opinion, if you can't squat, deadlift, chin, and benchpress, then its just taking up space. Buy a barbell, some weights, and a rack.
    Nick V

LoL. wasnt there a recall on this or something b/c of a defect?

For the price of a bowflex you could have a power cage, an olympic set of weights (or two), a bench, and any other accessories you would need for a high quality home gym. IMO you cannot replace freeweights and I don't see why you would want to...
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

I ended up getting one for free and tried it for a couple months straight and lost some "real world" strength in the process. The problem being the resistance starts at next to nothing and gradually increases to the marked weight once the bow if fully bent.
    So for example doing a lat pulldown you start pulling down maybe 10 lbs and are only pulling the marked weight when the bows are fully bent down. I lost some "real world strength" (for lack of a better term) because I was doing lat pulldowns, bench presses ect and the exercises on the bowflex were only really working my muscles at the end of the movement, when I switched back to free weights I had a lot of trouble performing the start of the motions.
    As a matter of fact I've been corresponding with a guy who is trying to get away from his bowflex for this reason. He can bench all his power rods, but is having trouble doing pushups. With the bowflex there is no weight at the start of the movement and no serious weight till the end, while with pushups there is the most weight at the beginning.
    It was free, my wife still uses it once in a while and I use it as a big fly machine where the reverse weight thing actually is an advantage.

Hope all that made sense..... and it's WAY OVERPRICED!!!