The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

when to deadlift

i've done a search but couldnt find an answer.

im curious when most people do their deadlifts. should i do it on my back/bicep day, or my leg day? the last couple weeks, i've done with on my leg day after my squats and it has been quite taxing.

also, it is my understanding that straight leg and romanian deadlifts work the glutes and hamstrings more than regular deadlifts, so would it be ok to do some RDLs or SLDLs on my leg days, and still do regular deadlifts on my back/bi days?

im not too sure if my lower back could handle that, im pretty sore days after deadlifting, but i was curious if anyone out there does that.

thanks for your input

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by windmill85
    i've done a search but couldnt find an answer.

im curious when most people do their deadlifts. should i do it on my back/bicep day, or my leg day? the last couple weeks, i've done with on my leg day after my squats and it has been quite taxing.

also, it is my understanding that straight leg and romanian deadlifts work the glutes and hamstrings more than regular deadlifts, so would it be ok to do some RDLs or SLDLs on my leg days, and still do regular deadlifts on my back/bi days?

im not too sure if my lower back could handle that, im pretty sore days after deadlifting, but i was curious if anyone out there does that.

thanks for your input
    Deadlifting is mostly for your hips/back (it does work legs and other muscles too). Deadlifts and Squats both work that back pretty hard, so I would not recommend doing them both on the same day. It could result in injury (your back giving out on you). Straight-Legged deadlifts are mostly for your hammies so go ahead and do them on your leg day. Deadlifts will work your biceps as well since it is a pulling motion so it only makes since to do it on your bicep/back day (save yourself the time of warming the biceps up before working them because you would have already did that with deadlifts) . I dont think doing sldls or rdls on leg day will effect your deadlifts on back day. Maybe make sure you get a day of rest in between those days though.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 12-29-2005 at 03:34 AM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Diesel Dan is right on. Do deads on back day and do them first. Do squats on leg day and do them first. Make sure you have a day in between doing deads and squats.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

i do deadlifts on back day and squats on leg day however some people have a dead lift only day as it works so many different muscles
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

When done well, there is a fair bit of leg work involved with deads driving up at the start. Which is why it can makes sense to do them on leg day. As Hill mentioned, giving them their own day works well, I've done them with shoulders and traps at times. Currently when I do them, I've hit them with back as the first exercise. My legs are fresh and it's good way to hit the whole back at once at the start of the routine.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

do deadlifts first on back day
    upper chest freak