The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Occupational Hypnomania

Toning Does exist

My friends says this:
    "toning " is a process explained in 2 parts. the first of which is to reduce fat around the muscle tissue. The second step to "toning " is the low weight repetitive exercises . Some may argue that this is the same as "building " but it is not building more commonly refers to bulking of muscle or wieght while toning is used to create a more sleak and defined physique .

secondly to further back my point physiotherapists often use slow repetitive low wieght techniques to help there patients with poor muscle definition this is often refered to as "toning" the muscle.

Anyways can you tell him why it doesnt exist, i know he hasnt really backed up his information but dont be mean please just a simple explanation would be good thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To create a more sleak and defined physique means that you have a low bf over a sertain amount of muscle yes. if a person does no bulking and only cutting down then they will just be a skinny bag of bones. if a person does bulking or building up and no cutting they will be big but fat as well. to get that "toned" look you have to build up muscle then lower bf or the other way round your friend is trying to word round the fact that you have to build otherwise how can your muscles get bigger to get that sleak and defined look. you either cut or bulk or both. this is how i see it any way. people use the word toneing in my opinion to cover both when its comon knowledge that apart from new startes you cant do both without anabolics and even then its very hard. training for tone is a phrase people who dont know much about it tend to use.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Ive been here for over a year and I cant tell you how many topics ive seen on "toning"

Do a search and you will find everything you need.

Ignore your friend. Find something more interesting to talk about.

He is using a common definition of 'toned' which to many people means 'lean and not very big.'

Muscle 'tone' means something else, but it doesn't matter. Using it as he does just shows he is very good at watching infomercials.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

BIG BOI
    IMO...

its just a word used by alot of people to explain losing body fat while increasing muscle detail. end of story...

like we might say that guy is getting ripped... doesnt really mean he is rippin his muscles appart or something its just a word used. so IMO i think toning does exist in slang terms.

Tanning will tone your muscles.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Ignore your friend. Find something more interesting to talk about.

He is using a common definition of 'toned' which to many people means 'lean and not very big.'

Muscle 'tone' means something else, but it doesn't matter. Using it as he does just shows he is very good at watching infomercials.
    Quoted for absolute truth

I'd say 99.9% of people use it to describe someone who has low BF%

Who really cares what toned means. Come on guys! Let people like Bob think theyre getting toned when they do 1000 poor form crunches. End this thread!!!!!!
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

HAHAH BOB ,I remember that story.

Your friend must be exceptionally smart... Please ask him for the answers on all posts you see here on any of our forums, as it would save all of us a lot of time.

Someone close this thread PLEASE

Occupational Hypnomania
    ah actually i sort of disagreed with him since i read this forum alot, sorry for wasting your time

You better be

I think people use the word "tone" to avoid using the dreaded "body fat" or "lose body fat". since people in America are extremly sensitive to the word "FAT", people try to avoid it at all costs.
    stats:
    height:6'0
    weight: 240lbs
    BF%: about 12%
    Benchmarks-
    Bench press Max: 425lbs
    Squat Max: 515lbs
    Dead Lift Max: 585lbs

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Tanning will tone your muscles.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

You know what annoys me though is when celebs with good bodies spout this crap!

Example: Usher (some rap star or something) has a great six pack and quite a good muscular body, and he says he does 1000 situps a day. Well, of course now all the kids think they can do a ton of situps and get a six pack like his.

But I mean Usher himself must have SOME sort of proper knowledge because he has managed to get his bodyfat low and still hold onto muscle. Or is it just extremely lucky genetics?

Same thing for girls who swear they got that tight flat stomach by drinking cabbage soup for 2 weeks and lying on their back kicking their legs in the air. I know if I drank cabbage soup for two weeks my muscle would FALL off so fast your head would spin, yet these girls still retain some muscle and lose fat.

Grr!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo

Example: Usher (some rap star or something) has a great six pack and quite a good muscular body, and he says he does 1000 situps a day. Well, of course now all the kids think they can do a ton of situps and get a six pack like his.

But I mean Usher himself must have SOME sort of proper knowledge because he has managed to get his bodyfat low and still hold onto muscle. Or is it just extremely lucky genetics?

Same thing for girls who swear they got that tight flat stomach by drinking cabbage soup for 2 weeks and lying on their back kicking their legs in the air. I know if I drank cabbage soup for two weeks my muscle would FALL off so fast your head would spin, yet these girls still retain some muscle and lose fat.

Grr!
    For Usher and those girls it's all about diet. You can not see your abs if you are overeating. You can train all you want, but to see your abs you must cut calories.

Grr!
    Yes and no.... More and more I'm starting to blame the media on this half information....

Usher- Does he do 1000 crunches a day.... Yes.... BUT he also does 45 minutes of HIIT cardio everyday, runs around on stage for 2 hours, does pushups, dips as well and has a very strict diet. He's admitted all he eats is chicken, fish and broccoli and a cheat meal is a sweat potato. It's just that all the media reports is the 1000 crunches.

Or how about Jessica Simpson doing 2 hours of jogging everyday during filming the Dukes of Hazzard, or Jessica Alba's intense daily 1 hour circuit training and stick diet. Just think how long it would take someone like Jessica Simpson to do that workout... pre-workout meal, warm up, get on treadmill and jog for 2 hours, get showered, post workout meal, get hair done, get into custom... that would be what? 3 hours of her day? Fat America doesn't want to hear that.

That these people might actual eat healthy and take the time to workout everyday etc doesn't sell magazines...

I have a little rant about this type of stuff HERE and a summary of some celebs workouts....

There are a lot of people out there who dont know jack shti out workingout and still look like Usher (Skinny, little guy who needs to eat)

knowledge doesn't always equal a great body and vise versa
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 12-31-2005 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    There are a lot of people out there who dont know jack shti out workingout and still look like Usher (Skinny, little guy who needs to eat)

knowledge doesn't always equal a great body and vise versa
    agreed

low bf=abs. thats about all there is to it. if he just so happens to naturally have low bodyfat, he will have abs.

No but it's annoying when they spout stuff like this and yet still look good.

And he isn't exactly skinny... he's probably about 180-200 and he's got a decent body considering the amount of overweight fatasses around.

I really dont want to google a topless photo of him though :P

Quote Originally Posted by Geeper
    Yes and no.... More and more I'm starting to blame the media on this half information....

Usher- Does he do 1000 crunches a day.... Yes.... BUT he also does 45 minutes of HIIT cardio everyday, runs around on stage for 2 hours, does pushups, dips as well and has a very strict diet. He's admitted all he eats is chicken, fish and broccoli and a cheat meal is a sweat potato. It's just that all the media reports is the 1000 crunches.

Or how about Jessica Simpson doing 2 hours of jogging everyday during filming the Dukes of Hazzard, or Jessica Alba's intense daily 1 hour circuit training and stick diet. Just think how long it would take someone like Jessica Simpson to do that workout... pre-workout meal, warm up, get on treadmill and jog for 2 hours, get showered, post workout meal, get hair done, get into custom... that would be what? 3 hours of her day? Fat America doesn't want to hear that.

That these people might actual eat healthy and take the time to workout everyday etc doesn't sell magazines...

I have a little rant about this type of stuff HERE and a summary of some celebs workouts....

Oh right thanks.. I didnt know the specific but I'm sure you're right about the media only focusing on some stuff.

And he isn't exactly skinny... he's probably about 180-200 and he's got a decent body considering the amount of overweight fatasses around.
    The guy is 5'9...he is NOT 180

He's not that skinny :S

(and you seem to know an awful lot about him.. fan are we? )

He is that skinny. And short. Really short. His hollywood height is 5' 8.5", which means he's 5' 6" if he's an inch. He's 145lbs if he's lucky.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 12-31-2005 at 11:35 AM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John