Thread: push-ups part of the routine

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

push-ups part of the routine

I usually work out every other day to every third day.. doing curls, tricep extensions incline/decline bench press, leg press, etc. It's a heavy routine, but I never really got any results until I started working the same muscles every other day, instead of once a week.
    Im wondering if I end it with some push-ups I usually have been doing about 50-70. is that useful? or a good or a bad idea?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogstrut
    I never really got any results until I started working the same muscles every other day, instead of once a week.
    That's why I like this split

As a natural athlete, I get better development from multiple small, heavy hits than one big "rape your bodyparts" split.

Pushups are good for being able to do more pushups, nothing else.

Wannabebig Member
    well i dont really know wat kind of routine im gonna do, ill probably change it up sometime soon. Im just wondering if anyone knows if push-ups are a good exercise or not to help build muscle?

No, they are not a good exercise to build muscle, period.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iron4Life
    ahh... hang on WBBers...
    That's not exactly true... You can build a lot of muscle and strength with the right body-weight exercises... Pushups, dips, pull-ups, one-legged squats...

There are many ways to do a pushup... try them incline, decline, wide and narrow... try them fast, slow, try them REAL slow... nothing like a 30 second pushup - 20 down, 10 seconds up... try them clapping, try them with your kids on your back...

If you like them.. do them..
    I do them for warmups on chest day... about 15 minutes before I actually start my routine.. before I leave the house
    3 sets.. 10, 20 and 30...
    2 sets of one armed.. each arm, as many as possible (about 4 right now)...

Then once a month, when I do a high-rep day, I try to max out on them on the 3rd set.. to see what I can do..

Combat Infantryman
    I've seen tricep development from weighted "diamond" push-ups in heavy, low sets.