Thread: stregth gain overtraining

stregth gain overtraining

I am new to body building. I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 160. I started out benching 160 max. After six months I can now hit 200 2 times. I have become slighty biger but not a lot. After six months I am learning technique and different things about lifting. Here is my question. I do not get sore. I can bench all day long. I have tried 12 to 15 reps at 120-140 I have tried 4 to 6 at 185. I have tried 190 three reps.
    I never get sore. I just want to lift more all the time. I am going to try and lift for 8 hours of bench press. Doing diferent weights and sets untill I am really sore and then take of enough time to recover. then do it again. recovery time might be a week. I really just want to get big and strong. I think all this crap about overtraing is a bunch of malarchy. Please let me know if I am wrong.

you are extremly wrong my friend, you want to do alot more then bench, being soar means nothing what so ever. Try a 5 x 5 on bench and then a 5 x 5 on dips, assisted or weighted, thats plenty of chest.
    2000 or bust

Full of himself.
    I am going to try and lift for 8 hours of bench press. Doing diferent weights and sets untill I am really sore and then take of enough time to recover. then do it again. recovery time might be a week. I really just want to get big and strong. I think all this crap about overtraing is a bunch of malarchy. Please let me know if I am wrong.
    Do you just drift in and out of consciousness? Did you even think about what you just typed? Did you even bother to read ANY of the soreness related discussion here?

Good day to you.

P.S. That was my way of telling you you're wrong when it comes to thinking soreness and 8 hours worth of training once every week will get you big and strong. Take an hour, search, learn, and adjust your training and diet accordingly. Also, try doing more than bench pressing. Yes, Im just not in a good mood.

Edit: You said you just want to lift more every time, all the time, so go do just that. Add those 2.5lb plates, squeeze out an extra rep. If you cant do it something is off. And its either your drive or diet.
    Last edited by DarkSmurf; 01-01-2006 at 05:18 AM.

8 hours of solid and nothing but benching? thats just....just...

*slaps cbyes with rolled up newspapaer*

OK I heard you all but

Well I dont mean 8 streight hours of nothing but bench once a week. I have a full body weekly routine. But I am going to try it anyways. Ill bet you all Ill be hitting 225 by march. Eating tons of protien and carbs. Losing body fat like crazy. Started at 17.3 and now down to 11.9. Chest is a bit bigger and Biceps comeing nicly. My triceps are getting really big and nice. Doing great on legs as well. I mean I am going to do bench all day as much as posible a couple of times just to see what happens. Ill bet I get strength gains out of it. I still think that you have to do a lot more than that to overtrain. If that were true those steel mill workers would look like Pee Wee Herman.

Mabey I am unconcouis, But at least I am out there working in the gym and not at the egg white bar walking around in my tank top trying to pick up on the girls... I am determind.....

Quote Originally Posted by cbyes
    Well I dont mean 8 streight hours of nothing but bench once a week. I have a full body weekly routine. But I am going to try it anyways. Ill bet you all Ill be hitting 225 by march. Eating tons of protien and carbs. Losing body fat like crazy. Started at 17.3 and now down to 11.9. Chest is a bit bigger and Biceps comeing nicly. My triceps are getting really big and nice. Doing great on legs as well. I mean I am going to do bench all day as much as posible a couple of times just to see what happens. Ill bet I get strength gains out of it. I still think that you have to do a lot more than that to overtrain. If that were true those steel mill workers would look like Pee Wee Herman.

Mabey I am unconcouis, But at least I am out there working in the gym and not at the egg white bar walking around in my tank top trying to pick up on the girls... I am determind.....
    whats wrong with the girls?

the guys at the steel mill work 8 hours a day, if you take into account lunch breaks, coffee breaks, bull****ing bricks, **** breaks, and stopping to hit on girls that my pass by, they dont work continuosly.

Also how the **** does steel mill work correspond to strenght training or chest excercises?

sorry but a big row or deadlift is far more impressive and shows more strength then a bench, i can row alot more then i can bench for example.

please just stick to a good weekly routine and forget about benching until you die.
    2000 or bust

I am new to body building. I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 160. I started out benching 160 max. After six months I can now hit 200 2 times. I have become slighty biger but not a lot. After six months I am learning technique and different things about lifting. Here is my question. I do not get sore. I can bench all day long. I have tried 12 to 15 reps at 120-140 I have tried 4 to 6 at 185. I have tried 190 three reps.
    I never get sore. I just want to lift more all the time. I am going to try and lift for 8 hours of bench press. Doing diferent weights and sets untill I am really sore and then take of enough time to recover. then do it again. recovery time might be a week. I really just want to get big and strong. I think all this crap about overtraing is a bunch of malarchy. Please let me know if I am wrong.
    LOL! Cripes, if you have all day to train, then yes, by all means, try it!

By the way and FYI, it's not the best way to train. But if your goal is just to hit 225 by spring break then you're probably right - you'll get there.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Thanks guys. I hope everyone got a god laugh out of this one. I have heard your advice. I like this forum and hope to continue to get some good advice.

Oh yea. Nothing wrong with girls at all. Mabey next time I will have a better question. I am going to search all the previous post for a couple of days and then I will be back.. By the way, I did do a lot of bench yeterday and am glad to report some sore musscles. Today will be legs for sure....

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    you are extremly wrong my friend, you want to do alot more then bench, being soar means nothing what so ever. Try a 5 x 5 on bench and then a 5 x 5 on dips, assisted or weighted, thats plenty of chest.
    Try switching to Dumbbell Presses here and there..

Add some dips and incline bench.. ouch
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

By the way, I did do a lot of bench yeterday and am glad to report some sore musscles.
    You've missed a lot of good advice already. Soreness is a really, really poor method of gauging progress...

Here's an article by Charles Staley about "Training Adaptations vs. Training Side-Effects" http://www.dolfzine.com/page488.htm I suggest you read it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    You've missed a lot of good advice already. Soreness is a really, really poor method of gauging progress...

Here's an article by Charles Staley about "Training Adaptations vs. Training Side-Effects" http://www.dolfzine.com/page488.htm I suggest you read it.
    I agree, if I gauged how well my improvements were by soreness, I would of quit about 5 months ago.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

the only exception to soarness is 20 rep squats, i can barely walk.
    2000 or bust