The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

lower body + upper body very unproportionate. need help

my 1-rep maxes:

BENCH PRESS: 205 lbs
    DEADLIFT: 210 lbs (msot weight I could physically put on the barbell)
    POWER CLEAN: 120 lbs

my squat is probably around 175. leg press is anywhere from 350-450.

how should I go about correcting my workout? I want my squat to be around 300. do I work out my upper body less to make it more balanced out w/ my lower body, or do I work my lower body more or what?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by pauljmccabe; 12-31-2005 at 11:56 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    What is your routine like dude?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    Don't stop working your upper just work your lower and things will even out. course the stupid thing was to not work your legs in the first place.

Wannabebig Member
    MONDAY

Chest/Tris

Flat bench
    Incline bench
    Skullcrushers
    Tri kickbacks
    DB Flyes

WEDNESDAY

Shoulders/Legs

Military press
    Side laterals
    Front laterals
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Deadlift

FRIDAY

Back/Bis/Abs

Preacher curl
    Standing curl
    Bent-over barbell row
    Many sit-ups as possible

(I know, I need more back exercises)

admittedly, I don't do the leg workouts much. the bench I have at home can only hold like 120 lbs for leg curl/extension. squats are out of the picture because I don't have a rack or anyone to spot me. The only chance I have to do them is at school, which doesn't help me during the summer obviously. can't afford a membership at the gym

The routine is awful, hence why you are unproportionate. Try out WBB#1.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    WBB #1? Could you give me a link, please? I'm not seeing it anywhere...

Wannabebig Member
    n/m I found it

yeah, that workout isn't terribly different from the one I'm doing, except different muscle groups are grouped together.

the movements I was missing from my routine that were on that list were ones I can't do (no squat rack, no bar for chin-ups, dumbbells too small for shrugs/presses (15lb, lol), no decline bench)

I'll have to save up for a new weight bench or heavier dumbbells
    Last edited by pauljmccabe; 01-01-2006 at 02:34 PM.

A gym membership shouldn't be all that much. I'd imagine if you can afford equipment you can afford a gym membership. Look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljmccabe
    lower body + upper body very unproportionate. need help
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljmccabe
    admittedly, I don't do the leg workouts much.
    You just answered your own question.

Wannabebig Member
    alright, so if I continue working my upper body at the same intensity, only add in leg workouts, eventually my max squat will exceed my bench? that's my goal. it doesn't make perfect sense to me, but I'll give it a go

thanks for the help

Upper and lower body work should be about equal in volume and intensity. So you cant take dips, bench, presses vs leg ext and leg curls and hanging leg raises and calves raise. Sub deads, squats, good mornings, sldl, lunges, etc.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Wannabebig Member
    okay, but should I stop working out my upper body? I want to be equally strong throughout, ya know?