Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy a Crockpot (slow cooker)

These things are amazing. Why hasn't anyone mentioned these to me before??

Throw everything in it, turn it on, 10-14 hours later (overnight) the food is done to perfection. No supervision is required and it's near impossible to overcook the food.

I reduced my actual hands on cooking time from ~2 hours to 10-20 minutes prep. Crockpot takes care of the rest.

And if you ever had food from a crockpot before, you know how good it is (the slower you heat food, the better it tastes). I guess I just didn't realize how simple it was.

I bought the biggest one I could find (6 quarts) and it cost all of $63 Canadian (after taxes, too). Excellent investment.

And in case you are wondering how much food you can cook at once (my primary concern before I looked at them), I have about 12 medium potatoes, 2 carrots, and a 3lb roast in it right now ... and lots of room left.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wow. This thing is amazing. My roast is so tender that you can cut it with a fork and it practically melts in your mouth. Potatoes and carrots have a brownish color because of the broth and spices, but they are very tender and tasty.

The best part is, the fat that 'marbles' through a roast actually melts. When I cook a roast in the oven, I end up cutting off big pieces of fat. With this roast, I cut off 2 very small pieces on the outside of the roast that did not melt. Don't misinterpret this - the fat is still in the crockpot, but it melts out of the roast (nothing worse than trying to chew a tough piece of fat at work).

Anyway, just thought I'd update my crockpot adventure. I'm very impressed.

Oh, I even overcooked by 2 hours. A couple of potatoe slices on the top were kind of dry, but other than that - perfect.

I think you should keep your mouth shut and keep this a New Brunswick secret
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Everything I said above was a lie.

LOL....

I think Anthony's gf is going to get jealous..

He seems very excited about this

Surely your electricity or gas bill will go through the roof if you're cooking for 14 hours straight!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

YES Chicken Daddy, thats right, thats why its a BAD idea for you guys to use it.

mwehehehe
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Hehehe ... lower watts compared to conventional cooking ... I mean ... you're right ... better forget the whole idea.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Hey, that sounds like a long time to cook some meat.
    Maybe I'll get one and just throw some steak and potatoes in there when i'm not even hungry. By the time its done, WHO KNOWS?

Budiak, in my book, 'not hungry' is not a word, it's not two words either . I'm always hungry .
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

A bodybuilder should always be hungry, even when he's not hungry
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Leave this blank, right?
    Anthony, just realized you're Caezar! (with the crockpot post).

What's the deal? Cooking 24/7? No wonder you're looking pretty fat. LOL

jk--if you have so much food, why don't you FedEx some to those who have a hard time eating 6 meals a day! With you, we would sure become Bulkmonsters.

And hey, where did you get this crackpot? Oh, i'm sorry, crockpot? Since it's blown you away, just thought you knew the place to get it. LOL

Seriously?

I bought mine at Sears, smart ass!

PS - I'm not fat, I'm big boned!!!!
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-05-2001 at 06:20 PM.

Leave this blank, right?
    Damn right,

I am a smartass!

I got you tell all of us how to get the freakin' CROCKPOT! Thanks. Appreciate it!

And yes, FAT.

Anthony tell me your favourite combinations of meat, carbs, and veggies to cook in a crockpot. Can you cook steak on a bone in it or would it make a lot more sense to grill it? Also if you put something like asparagus into the crockpot with a roast don't the veggies get soggy and overcooked since they don't need as much time to cook as the roast? Thanks

This is an oldie! Well, my favorite combo in the crockpot is roast beef, potatoes, and carrots. I can't see why you couldn't cook steak with a bone, although steak is always better on the grill. I've never had vegetables go soggy, but if you are concerned, you could always add them half way through. I've done cabbage rolls and they turn out delicious. There are TONS of recipes on google for crockpots, check them out.

Goodstuff I'm so pumped to buy mine.

I have 4 of them. I have two large ones to cook meat in and two smaller ones for additional veggies. I usually load mine up with a roast, chicken, or beef cubes in the morning and let it slow cook 8-10 hours and it is ready for supper when we get home from work.

I wannabebig!
    all this talk about a crockpot makes me want to go and get one... but my george foreman seems to do the job already.

Idling
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    all this talk about a crockpot makes me want to go and get one... but my george foreman seems to do the job already.
    yeah makes me want to eat a freakin' roast. I love potatoes and carrots with a huge slab of roast beef. Dammit.. oh well, lunch break in 30 minutes!

The George Foreman Grill is awesome too. Chicken breasts, steak, sausages, bacon, hashbrowns, etc, etc. Mmmmmmmmm .....

We use our crockpot for saurkraut and sausage MMMMMM! But we also use it for roast, chili, and soup as well. My roomie actually has a roast in our right now *lol*

I just had sausages and sauerkraut last night, but I did it on the GF grill. How long do you cook it in a crockpot?

i just bought one over the weekend. I bought an eye roast and some carrots and onions and potatos. i just am trying to Google my way on how to prepare and how long to cook it

We drain and rinse the saurkraut and cut the sausage into little peices and throw it on low and leave for the day Super easy and oh so good! It doesn't get burnt or cripy just has lots of good flavor.

As for your roast, little season salt or bullion, onions, and pepper on your roast, throw the potatoes and carrots in it too with just a little bit of water and roll out for the day you'll come home to dinner. FYI for all of the crock newbies ALWAYS peel your veggies, otherwise all of your food will tast like the peels YUCK!