Thread: Lower Back issues...Deadlifts....

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Lower Back issues...Deadlifts....

My question is, is there another excersize, or rather a safer way to do Deadlifts to avoid further injury to my lower back. Reason being, I had gotten into a car accident a year ago and fractured a lumbar vertabrae. My back hasnt been the same since and Deadlifts use to, USE to, be a major component in my excersize, specifically during bulking season... Now, I ask this because the last time I had attempted Deadlifts I was doing ok until one fateful day, lets just say for about a week I couldnt stand up str8... AND I know that Deadlifts are an excersize that is significant in gaining muscle mass... So help me out folks... Plz excuse me if this doesnt make any sense... Im incredibly drained and tired from rl ****...

Oh yeah, another reason why I am asking this is because most routines that I wish to try that I have seen on these forums require Deadlifts and or many other movements which might spark some back pain...
    Any help is appreciated.

I dont think their is any replacement close to deadlifts. My only advice would be to keep the weight low, better to do light weight than none at all.

Well I think you'll just have to let the deadlifts go. It's better than injuring yourself badly. So is your back still screwed up then or have you not tried deadlifting a decent amount of weight since your injury?

I would think that if deadlifting hurts your back too much then the same would apply for other back exercises.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Well, its wierd cause any other back excersize is fine, even hyper extensions with heavy weight. Anyways, the last time I did Deadlifts I was only pushing 225, but it was easy, I was on like my 2nd or 3rd rep when I felt something horrible in my lower back, but I pushed on to like 15 reps, and then at the end I couldnt stand up straight, lol... But like 2 weeks before I was Deadlifting around 350 lbs, around 8 reps, I would always start out at like 225 though to warm up, something just went wrong that day I guess.

Again thanx for the input!

Wannabebig Member
    And yeah... I really dun wanna let the deadlifts go...

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu
    Anyways, the last time I did Deadlifts I was only pushing 225, but it was easy, I was on like my 2nd or 3rd rep when I felt something horrible in my lower back, but I pushed on to like 15 reps, and then at the end I couldnt stand up straight, lol...
    Ok, when you hurt yourself on rep 2...why in the hell would you keep on going until rep 15? Get some common sense.

Iron4Life
    I'd say you could stay with the "light" 225 DLs.. that's a pretty decent weight.. and then just up the reps for a few months. Do them slow.. and then real slow. After a few months, up the weight slowly...

The back can repair itself.. unless you have a "real" medical issue.. with consistent exercise. The research for most back injuries is to keep on doing.. just lighter, tighter and consistent.

you said you pushed on to 15 reps??? Never do more than 8 reps on DL's most likely your form will start to suffer and that will cause you some back problems. If these things hurt your back and other back exercises dont, you must be doing something wrong...work on your form.

Why not ask a doctor instead of a bunch of people that have no earthly idea of what they're talking about when it comes to YOUR injury and deadlifts?

Some people can't do deadlifts due to back injuries. It's not the end of the world like a ton of blind people on here want you to believe. I love doing deadlifts, but if you can't do them, don't limit yourself by doing and hurting yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    Why not ask a doctor instead of a bunch of people that have no earthly idea of what they're talking about when it comes to YOUR injury and deadlifts?
    Agreed. It could be as simple as you had built up gas pressure in your spine due to the tension while doing deadlifts, or it could be actually you've got a spine injury or were doing deadlifts with incorrect form. If your concerned, see a doctor. If not, and it doesn't bring pain, have someone watch your form and continue deading.
    LaLa

Your form could also be off. Even if you aren't rounding your back, if you stiff leg it you're going to put a LOT of stress on the lower back. If you haven't already, try sumo stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter
    Your form could also be off. Even if you aren't rounding your back, if you stiff leg it you're going to put a LOT of stress on the lower back. If you haven't already, try sumo stance.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with rounded back deadlifts...

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Dangerous...l#anchor416052

I think the words sumo deads sum up your answer. Takes a lot of strain away from back and you can keep your back straighter.
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"