The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

steve reeves routine

Here's Reeves - to the letter:

Reeves Routine
    Monday-Wednesday-Friday

Deltoids
    Upright Rowing - 3x8-12 (130-120-110)
    Press Behind Neck - 3x8-12 (standing) (wide grip)
    Bent-over Laterals - 3x8-12

Chest
    Bench Press - 3x8-12 (wide "collar to collar" grip) (225-215-205)
    Incline Press - 3x8-12 (45 degrees)(wide "collar to collar" grip)
    Flat Dumbell Flys - 3x8-12 (palms forward) (65)

Lats
    Lat Pulldowns Behind Neck - 3x8-12 (wide grip) (225)
    Seated Cable Row - 3x8-12 (150)
    One-Arm Dumbell Row - 3x8-12 (80)

Biceps
    Standing Barbell Curl - 3x8-12
    Incline Dumbell Curl - 3x8-12 (45 degrees) (w/stop bar) (65-50)
    High Pulley Bench Curl - 3x8-12

Triceps
    Tricep Pressdowns - 3x8-12 (straight bar)
    2-Arm Dumbell French Press Behind Neck - 3x8-12* (70)
    Lying Dumbell Extensions - 3x8-12 (45s)
    (One-Arm Dumbell Cross-face extensions - 3x8-12 (Db to Delt)*)(*Alternate)

Legs
    Squats - 3x8-12 (to bench) (board under heels) (300)
    Hack Squats - 3x8-12
    Front Squats - 3x8-12 (150)
    Leg Curls - 3x8-12

Calves
    Leg Press Calf Raises - 4x20 (400-350-300-250)

Seated Good Mornings - 3x8-12

Neck
    Neck - 3x15 (Back)/3x15 (Front)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why do I somehow find myself strongly doubting that this is the routine Steve Reeves used?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Why do I somehow find myself strongly doubting that this is the routine Steve Reeves used?
    I've heard that Reg Park used one similar and they were around at about the same time so it could be possible.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I doubt it too. The routine looks more like a Reg Park routine. Steve Reeves allegedly used a pretty low volume routine using mostly compound movements, and was known for being in and out of the gym fairly quickly.

I was thinking more along the lines of it looking more like something out of Flex as opposed to something the old schoolers would use. I really don't think Reg Park used that either.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I believe that is the Steve's "Mr. Universe" routine as described is his book "Building the Classic Physique: The Natural Way" -- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details . In the book, he says this routine took 2-3 hours to complete.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-22-2003 at 04:55 PM.

Sorry, but when I see such things like leg curls, "high pulley bench curls," and lat pulldowns, I don't think Steve Reeves.

There's more volume for arms than for legs. Doing a total of 9-12 sets of 8-12 reps for the *arms* three times a week isn't a way to get bigger.

I mean...c'mon now.

3:16
    what did a gym in the late 40's and earlier 50's look like?

what equipment and machine did they have?

i know we have debated machine versus free weights but in those days the machines would not have been good as modern ones? would they?

personally i do not like most modern machines as they are not very comfortable and akward to use. so in those day they would have been even more basic and less worth while?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

There's more volume for arms than for legs. Doing a total of 9-12 sets of 8-12 reps for the *arms* three times a week isn't a way to get bigger.

I mean...c'mon now.
    I agree that it does not sound like a well designed routine for the typical bodybuilder. However, many successful pro bodybuilders have followed atypical routines that would not work well for the average person. I recall reading an article in which Lee Priest advocated the doing 32 sets of bicep work, 35 sets of triceps work, and 20 sets of forearm work. One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's published routines included 18 sets of biceps exercises and 24 sets of triceps exercises on each Tue, Thur, and Sat. This routine involved more volume for arms than legs (ignoring calf/forearm work which was done 6 days per week).
    Last edited by aka23; 12-22-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Bear in mind though that Reeves was before the days of drug assistance. The IFBB sideshow these days can get away with it....but a lot of that is big thanks to Weider (for pimping the high-volume Arnoldesque routines) and Jones (for giving us the miracle of machines), which again Reeves predates.

It isn't a simple matter of "well that might work for him." Besides the physiological reasoning, I know that Reeves didn't use such a poorly thought out routine. The only thing it has in common with what he really used is the fact that he did use a full body routine three times a week...but the exercise selection and volumes are way off.

It isn't a simple matter of "well that might work for him." Besides the physiological reasoning, I know that Reeves didn't use such a poorly thought out routine. The only thing it has in common with what he really used is the fact that he did use a full body routine three times a week...but the exercise selection and volumes are way off.
    The link I provided at Amazon as well as the review of his book at http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...btv.net&rnum=4 imply that his routine was approximately the same volume as the one listed here -- 20+ exercises, 3 sets each. It is possible that he is lying about his training routine in his book, but that seems unlikely.

Read the rest of that thread

Also if we're gonna trade links:
    http://www.naturalstrength.com/history/stevereeves.html

"I remember reading in one of the commercial bodybuilding magazines a few years back about Steve Reeves training routine. I was amazed at the brevity of his workout and the obviously results he obtained. He trained full body workouts with 1-2 sets per movement using mainly multi-jointed exercises to failure three times a week. I remember this very well because there were pictures of him on the beach with all these beautiful women hanging all over him while he commented how others languished in the gym about their training. Now I know the man had good, no make that great genetics, but he had the right idea training briefly, infrequently and intensely to facilitate progress in his bodybuilding endeavor."

Ha! I was going to post that very quote, but you beat me to it!

Here's my reference for Reg Park's routines, also from the same site: http://www.naturalstrength.com/featu...?ArticleID=324

Wannabebig Member
    this was steve reeves routine i know because i have his book . its really a good book you can order it at www.stevereeves.com

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    I agree that it does not sound like a well designed routine for the typical bodybuilder. However, many successful pro bodybuilders have followed atypical routines that would not work well for the average person. I recall reading an article in which Lee Priest advocated the doing 32 sets of bicep work, 35 sets of triceps work, and 20 sets of forearm work. One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's published routines included 18 sets of biceps exercises and 24 sets of triceps exercises on each Tue, Thur, and Sat. This routine involved more volume for arms than legs (ignoring calf/forearm work which was done 6 days per week).

The fact is though that most of these articles are NOT written by the bodybuilders but by some ghostwriter. If you save up a number of FLEX magazines and peruse through them, you will see an astonishing number of similarities between articles that were suppposedly written by different people.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    The fact is though that most of these articles are NOT written by the bodybuilders but by some ghostwriter. If you save up a number of FLEX magazines and peruse through them, you will see an astonishing number of similarities between articles that were suppposedly written by different people.
    I agree that many Flex magazine type articles are written by ghost writers. However, the article I was referring to has quotes from Lee Priest, describing the reasons for his choices in the routine. I think the quotes were too silly to be written by a ghost writer for example,

"Overtraining was invented by wimps to camouflage their inability to train hard. They say, "Because it's a small muscle group, never do more than nine sets." To me, that's not training your biceps. Even with 20 sets, you're not shocking them, only training them. A legitimate advanced shock workout not only constitutes at least 20 sets, but all of them must be working sets, each one to failure."

The description of Arnold's routine I have listed is supported by multiple non-magazine references, as well quotes describing the routine.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-23-2003 at 12:27 PM.

Wannabebig New Member

The real Reeves workout...

Of course the routine listed is a load of BS.... I don't even think half of that equipment was around in Reeves day!

It has been published in many magazines on many occasions that Steve Reeves used a whole body routine, 1 exercise per bodypart, 3 times per week (M/W/F). He did a couple of warm up sets and 1 VERY HARD set of each exercise... No more than 7 exercises per workout.

His workout pace was fast... Only 1 minute between sets. He varied the exercises he did somewhat, but not as frequently as todays bodybuilders...

Here were his measurements as taken by a judge at a Mr Universe contest... Can't remember which one, not that it matters much anyway.

Shoulders 23.5"
    Neck 18"
    Chest 52"
    Waist 29"
    Hips 38"
    Flexed Bicep 18.25"
    Forearm 14.75"
    Thigh 26"
    Calf 18.25"

Here is a typical Reeves workout

Calf Raise - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used leg press at times)
    Chin Up - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used pulldowns)
    Dips - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used dumbell chest press)
    Press Behind Neck - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used dumbell shoulder press)
    Pushdowns - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Incline Dumbell Curl - 3 sets x 12 reps (reportedly his favorite exercise)

FYI... Reg Park trained very similarly in terms of workout duration, number of exercises etc, but it was he who first popularised the 5x5 routine (5 sets of 5 reps per exercise).

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadshane
    Of course the routine listed is a load of BS.... I don't even think half of that equipment was around in Reeves day!

It has been published in many magazines on many occasions that Steve Reeves used a whole body routine, 1 exercise per bodypart, 3 times per week (M/W/F). He did a couple of warm up sets and 1 VERY HARD set of each exercise... No more than 7 exercises per workout.

His workout pace was fast... Only 1 minute between sets. He varied the exercises he did somewhat, but not as frequently as todays bodybuilders...

Here were his measurements as taken by a judge at a Mr Universe contest... Can't remember which one, not that it matters much anyway.

Shoulders 23.5"
    Neck 18"
    Chest 52"
    Waist 29"
    Hips 38"
    Flexed Bicep 18.25"
    Forearm 14.75"
    Thigh 26"
    Calf 18.25"

Here is a typical Reeves workout

Calf Raise - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used leg press at times)
    Chin Up - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used pulldowns)
    Dips - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used dumbell chest press)
    Press Behind Neck - 3 sets x 12 reps (also used dumbell shoulder press)
    Pushdowns - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Incline Dumbell Curl - 3 sets x 12 reps (reportedly his favorite exercise)

FYI... Reg Park trained very similarly in terms of workout duration, number of exercises etc, but it was he who first popularised the 5x5 routine (5 sets of 5 reps per exercise).
    thats a hell of a first post