The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

volunteer work with 'special' or underprivileged youth

i was wondering what experiences people have had with various means of volunteering. lately i have had a desire to help with kids, either special kids or big brother type stuff..

the only thing i'm afraid of is that big brother would be a real commitment type thing, and i can't make commitments as my coming months are going to be rocky, and will be moving across teh country after that.

just curious what people have done, or could recommend as a starting point in my search

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Special Olympics is a great time - I highly recommend you do it.

I work with a kid who has special needs in the weight room every Friday - he's probably the most positive person I've ever worked out with and he works hard.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

^ I'd say the large majority of people need special help in the gym. Seriously though last summer I trained a handicapped teenager whose legs barely worked. Ironically the guy was still able to put up more weight than his older brother who was a complete wuss. But at least his brother was good at helping him communicate with me.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

good stuff, thanks. as odd as this sounds, i was actually inspired by the ringer haha, and special olympics or workign with training special people would be right what i was thinking.

the local place i wanted to go help at has kids i could help, but they are also the kind of place that helps out poor people (not homeless, well prolly homeless too, but single mom type stuff), which isn't the kind of help i want to give

Well I looked into volunteering with Big Brother but you have to make a 1 year commitment. And, I like you, probably won't be in the same place for the next year so that's out the window.

I'm sure you could volunteer at a local elementary school as a reading buddy or something like that, or maybe a sports team/league.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

For my required 120 hours of community service to graduate high school, I taught underprivileged children how to defend themselves.

Got a few bad apples, but it really made me reconsider having children. Kids can be really great, those ones put a smile on my face.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

I mentor(ed) a 4th and 5th grader who needed a positive male role model in his life (I've done it for two kids)

The last one I'm trying to keep in touch with, as his life is really a mess.

It's been rewarding for both of us.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Currently I help out a few youth organizations. I'm a 4-H livestock leader. I love helping my kids with practical aspects of their projects. They also ask me to help them with their education projects, and of course the most rewarding part... them playing jokes on me. I mean little kids and livestock...what isn't there to love!?!

I also have done a horseback riding program. This was with all sorts of differently abled children. Some kids are wheelchair bound and need a backrider and two side walkers, others just need someone to help them understand directions. I have never in my life seen kids as happy as they are when they can escape their normal life for a few hours and ride a horse and be in control of one thing.

These two programs have really brought a lot of joy to my life. I stay in touch with a lot of my 4-Her's, and since I live in the town of a college most of them consider. I always let them come stay with me and show them around campus. It really has been like having a bunch of little siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    i was wondering what experiences people have had with various means of volunteering. lately i have had a desire to help with kids, either special kids or big brother type stuff..

the only thing i'm afraid of is that big brother would be a real commitment type thing, and i can't make commitments as my coming months are going to be rocky, and will be moving across teh country after that.

just curious what people have done, or could recommend as a starting point in my search

My best friend was a volunteer with Special Needs Adults for several years. His was a huge commitment tho. it was basically a program for special needs adults who were living semi-independently from their parents. They had their own house, and my friend lived with them - they had their jobs and went to work and so on. He was basically their as a care-taker of sorts, and to make sure the hosue didn't burn down and such.

We're still close with the other volunteers too. It was a good experience for him,a nd the boys were very very sweet.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?