The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645

    Power cleans better than full cleans for athletics??

    I thought this was an interesting enough discussion to merit a new thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Actually power and hang olympic lifts are far more effective for athletics in general as they allow you to overload that explosive pull and shrug without the deep knee bend. The deep squat in the full oly lifts pretty much all about form, balance, and flexibility.
    Not sure I agree with you here Meat... Most people, including athletes, have absolute horrific form on power cleans. There is no triple extension and it often little more than a short leg dip and a swing...

    I'm no expert on the olympic lifts, but Gary Valentine, a many time masters national champion, is. Here is a post he made at another forum speaking about a forum member's refusal to do full cleans (the person he is talking about is, btw, a semi-regular at WBB...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Valentine
    Well, this is pretty interesting guys, mind if i jump in?! One of the things i see often relating to OL, and seems to be XXX's view (my best guess with info provided) is that its somehow more manly to do a "power" or "muscle" clean than a squat clean! even if its with less weight than our 48 kg women do. take the following quote from XXX - "yeah but then it wouldn't be a powerclean anymore I don't consider a hamstrings down to parallel a powerclean, that's like no man's land." Now, donít misunderstand me here. any lifting is good, and people should do whatever they enjoy. But, as was sharply picked up on by Demir above in my advice "for YEARS" to XXX is true - the power clean is an assistance lift, and a poor one at that, done this way anyway. I especially donít teach it to beginners. Watching XXX is proof of why. Again, I am not knocking him at all, I am speaking purely about learning how to lift weights. For whatever reason, he is clinging to pulling the weight higher with his arms only, very, very unsafe and inefficient - NOT A POWERCLEAN!.

    Watch his vids closely, especially this latest miss with 229. Right from the floor, and certainly as the bar gets to mid thigh, the hips rise faster than the head, the arms bend too soon, the mid back especially rounds out - all in preparation to use these muscles for a high pull swing jump with back and arms. YOU CANNOT SQUAT CLEAN THIS WAY! You have no idea where the bar will land if you swing it like that with your back, and any successful attempts will be lucky catches at best. The legs have straightened and are useless at this point. What really bothers me here is people think that this is strength. This is not strength. This is poor biomechanics, the continued practice of which will do nothing but dig a deeper hole motor pattern-wise and will have to be reversed, if possible, to someday lift big weight.
    Please, I'm 47 and I snatch that for triples regularly at the same bodyweight. I'm not bragging, I'm pointing out that throwing around light weights inefficiently should not be called "strength". Itís ignorance of proper technique, which is nothing to be proud of. When that ignorance is on purpose, it bothers me. Again, i do not mean "ignorance" in a derogatory way. I mean he just doesnít know the right way,(which is why i tried to help him), but if thatís on purpose because of some he-man stubborness to do more weight without technique, then that is ignorance to the point of stupidity, regardless of who does it. And good points above too, that sometime this is done to avoid any real comparisons to others - the "imagine what I could do if I had technique" routine. Ridiculous.

    Need more proof? Stand in a power rack with 500 or more loaded on long pins just above knee height. Try upright rowing it, or reverse curling it. Didnít move did it? Now try to just stand up and shrug it with straight arms, keeping low back tight as you come off pins. Thatís weightlifing in a nutshell. Anything you can stand up with hard like that and get moving past your bellybutton with momentum, you should be able to clean - if youíre
    fast, crazy enough to jump under it, and strong enough to stand up with it. Iíve done a double with 810 standing up from the pins, and didnít go higher only because we couldnít fit more on the bar (I have photos). Is that technique, or strength???

    Yes, I said he could be doing 275 if he'd learn how, but he has not learned how, and will not learn how with this technique. Put it this way, if he was power cleaning correctly, a squat clean would be a snap - the pull should not be different! And here's the crux of what Iíve learned in OL for 25 years, having done BB and PL early on. OL takes courage. great power, athletic skill, and yes courage. You have to be crazy to actually get off the ground and fly under weights that weigh much more than you. I believe this is
    why people cling to the "pull it higher" mentality with baby weights. And this is why "power cleaning" this way is not power cleaning, and is detrimental. When you stand up with the weight with a solid spine and straight arms and violently jump and shrug it, you either have to get off the ground momentarily and fly under it with amazing body speed, or wimp out by standing there and pulling it up with arms and back, feet glued to the
    ground. You can not do both. Period. Joe Mills called it "lifting with abandon". THAT is a different world. No spotter. Just you and the weight. This is athletic body awareness, combined with great power. I do not criticize those not willing to "go there", especially without coaching. But, it can be learned, step by step very safely with empty bar, for those who have the patience. So, if it feels good, do it. But, if you want to lift
    the big weights, learn how to use your body. Itís not about competing as a weightlifter or not. Itís training correctly, efficiently and safely, and the way that gets the most weight overhead.
    Definately food for thought....
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    The kids who power clean at my school gym are ex-high school football players and all they do are hang power reverse curls with the most insane looping motion I have ever seen.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  4. #3
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    I agree with Mr Valentine for the most part. But I wasn't going to continue the discussion due to beating a dead horse. But since someone else created this thread, I am feeling free to discuss it further.

    The paragraph from meathead that started this has a pretty big flaw in it. Athletic ability is defined as what? He summed it up himself in the last sentance and then attributed it to Squat Cleans... In other words, he admitted that Squat Cleans create a superior athlete.

    He said
    Actually power and hang olympic lifts are far more effective for athletics in general
    The said
    The deep squat in the full oly lifts pretty much all about form, balance, and flexibility.
    To clarify my statement, you are essentially saying Athletic is only strength and power, when that is false, it includes all those things you listed for the Squat Clean. Keep in mind that a power clean @ 225 isn't anymore effort than a Squat Clean at 275, and I would say the Squat Clean takes MORE effort, because it turns into a Front Squat... Comments, feel free...

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,175
    i pretty much agree with the gary valentine post (which is funny because i have piss poor clean form). and the part about having to be a little bit crazy to just fall under weight that is much heavier than you, i totally agree with. seriously, if you ****ed up, it could be disastrous (probably the biggest reason i would love to be a pl'er but not an ol'er)

  6. #5
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Oh man where to start...

    First off, NO ONE should be performing an exercise with bad form. I would never suggest that anyone do any kind of olympic lift if they don't know how to do them.

    That whole article is based on the idea that any athlete who performs power or hang cleans does them wrong. It goes on further to support the idea that because you move more weight on squat cleans/snatches, they are obviously superior to hang or power lifts. Here's the thing, the athlete that frequently full cleans 300lbs from the floor is still only PULLING with as much force as his powerclean. The only difference is that with a squat clean he doesn't have to pull it as high(because he squats under to catch it).

    If I'm trying to overload that ROM and those muscle groups with heavy weight, I'm going for deadlifts/squats 99% of the time, hands down.

    About my comment about "form, balance, and flexibility", those aspects of athleticism are improved very little by what you do in the weight room as opposed to what you do when you're actually practicing your sport. That's not to say what you do in the weightroom can't help, but for sport specific athletes lifting is rarely the solution for form, balance, and flexibility problems in regards to that specific sport because those aspects should already be well developed.

    If I'm inflexible I'm not going to attempt oly lifts with bad form, risking an injury... I'm gonna STRETCH.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  7. #6
    Footballer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI.
    Posts
    1,432
    Not really adding to the argument, BUT, I find it easier to squat catch the bar on hang cleans rather than power cleans.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

  8. #7
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Oh man where to start...
    First off, NO ONE should be performing an exercise with bad form. I would never suggest that anyone do any kind of olympic lift if they don't know how to do them.
    That whole article is based on the idea that any athlete who performs power or hang cleans does them wrong.
    No, it is not an article - it is a post referring to a specific person who, no question about it, does them incorrectly.... Maybe I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I would say that over 90% of the powercleans I see in any given gym is pretty similar.
    It goes on further to support the idea that because you move more weight on squat cleans/snatches, they are obviously superior to hang or power lifts. Here's the thing, the athlete that frequently full cleans 300lbs from the floor is still only PULLING with as much force as his powerclean. The only difference is that with a squat clean he doesn't have to pull it as high(because he squats under to catch it).
    I'm not following you here and I'm not trying to be facetious - so, using less weight and pulling it higher makes it a superior movement to you?
    If I'm trying to overload that ROM and those muscle groups with heavy weight, I'm going for deadlifts/squats 99% of the time, hands down.
    Again, I'm not following you. Yes, you could do traditional squats, DLs, and high pulls and rationalize that it's the same thing and would benefit you in a similar manner as doing full OLs but we all know it's not...
    About my comment about "form, balance, and flexibility", those aspects of athleticism are improved very little by what you do in the weight room as opposed to what you do when you're actually practicing your sport. That's not to say what you do in the weightroom can't help, but for sport specific athletes lifting is rarely the solution for form, balance, and flexibility problems in regards to that specific sport because those aspects should already be well developed.
    Of course athletes need to be practicing their sport - no one is arguing anything different.
    If I'm inflexible I'm not going to attempt oly lifts with bad form, risking an injury... I'm gonna STRETCH.
    Again, you're going off on a tangent - who recommended poor form on anything? Functional flexibility is developed by more than simply stretching.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  9. #8
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    No, it is not an article - it is a post referring to a specific person who, no question about it, does them incorrectly.... Maybe I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I would say that over 90% of the powercleans I see in any given gym is pretty similar.
    People who can't perform the movement right need to back off on weight and learn the form before they can truely benefit from it. I see no point in discussing people who can't perform them correctly as they should have 1 goal - learning the movement.

    I'm not following you here and I'm not trying to be facetious - so, using less weight and pulling it higher makes it a superior movement to you?
    Again, I'm not following you. Yes, you could do traditional squats, DLs, and high pulls and rationalize that it's the same thing and would benefit you in a similar manner as doing full OLs but we all know it's not...
    Its not that using less weight and pulling it higher makes it superior, its that using more weight and squatting to catch is doesn't make it superior. When you do a full clean, you still pull with the same amount of force as your powerclean. In both cases you are powercleaning/high pulling/whatever you want to call it with the same maximal force(ideally). The only difference is, with full oly lifts you squat under the weight to catch it, because you can't move a heavier weight as far with that same high pull/power clean strength. The squat is to compensate for not being able to pull it high enough for a powerclean.

    From an athletic standpoint, I do olympic lifts to strengthen the posterior chain muscles and to teach my body to "explode" more effectively. If I need to stress my posterior chain with heavy weight to overload those muscles, I'll do deadlifts as they allow the most weight to be used. I can then take the strength I gain from that and further develop/hone it for athletic use by performing power cleans or hang cleans with more weight than I could use before(thanks to improved deadlift strength). IMO that would be far more effective than taking time to learn full olympic lifts with heavy weight.

    Of course athletes need to be practicing their sport - no one is arguing anything different.

    Functional flexibility is developed by more than simply stretching.
    My point there is that functional flexibility for one's sport is developed by practicing the sport and by stretching. The functional flexibility you gain from doing full cleans or snatches is different from the flexibility you need on the field, simply because nothing you do on the field involves moving a perfectly balanced barbell overhead in a squatting position. That isn't to say that what you do in the gym is worthless for functional flexibility, but it is a side effect and it is better developed by other exercises than full oly lifts. For example, you can perform and overload your legs for functional purposes with deep squats/overhead squats/lunges much quicker and easily than with full olympic lifts. The purpose of olympic lifting for athletes shouldn't be to develop flexibility. If anything, flexibility should be improved in order to help olympic lifts, not as the goal.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 01-17-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  10. #9
    Mint
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    For example, you can perform and overload your legs for functional purposes with deep squats/overhead squats/lunges much quicker and easily than with full olympic lifts.
    lol. Both the Snatch and C&J inolve "deep squats". Furthermore, the Snatch involves a deep overhead squat. And the leg position/foot placement of the jerk is very similar to the lunge...

    So how is that, "you can perform and overload your legs for functional purposes with deep squats/overhead squats/lunges much quicker and easily than with full olympic lifts"?
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

    prepare yourself, because it's a big training

    Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

    Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    lol. Both the Snatch and C&J inolve "deep squats". Furthermore, the Snatch involves a deep overhead squat. And the leg position/foot placement of the jerk is very similar to the lunge...
    Thanks for proving my point! There's no need to do a full snatch when you can do overhead squats or lunges, which essentially accomplish the same goal with an easier movement(to learn and to progress in).

    So how is that, "you can perform and overload your legs for functional purposes with deep squats/overhead squats/lunges much quicker and easily than with full olympic lifts"?
    How much practice does it take to learn deep squats and lunges? How bout for full olympic lifts? Which is easier to progressively add weight to, a full snatch or an overhead squat?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  12. #11
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Olympic lifts are more difficult to learn because ... they are more difficult. Most people don't want to be challenged, so they look for something easier. Sure, you can argue that you overload your muscles more by deadlifting/squatting/military instead of a clean & jerk, but separately they don't produce the same results. Why? Triple flexation, amonst other things. If you want an example of why olympic lifts are better for athletic performance, take a world class olympic lifter and a world class powerlifter in the same weight class. Have each athlete perform C&J, Snatch, Squat, Bench, Deadlift ... who do you think comes out with a higher total? I could be wrong, but my guess is the olympic athlete would win 90-100% of the time. Why? Because the oly lifts make your entire body stronger. Powerlifts focus on 3 movements at the expense of everything else.

    Don't get me wrong, powerlifting is great and so is olympic lifting. I respect whatever you choose. But in terms of athletic performance, I think it would be pretty difficult to argue against olympic lifts.

    I also want to say that progress from training (in most aspects of fitness) is much faster than progress from practising sport. Sport is a test of your training.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  13. #12
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Olympic lifts are more difficult to learn because ... they are more difficult. Most people don't want to be challenged, so they look for something easier. Sure, you can argue that you overload your muscles more by deadlifting/squatting/military instead of a clean & jerk, but separately they don't produce the same results. Why? Triple flexation, amonst other things. If you want an example of why olympic lifts are better for athletic performance, take a world class olympic lifter and a world class powerlifter in the same weight class. Have each athlete perform C&J, Snatch, Squat, Bench, Deadlift ... who do you think comes out with a higher total? I could be wrong, but my guess is the olympic athlete would win 90-100% of the time. Why? Because the oly lifts make your entire body stronger. Powerlifts focus on 3 movements at the expense of everything else.

    Don't get me wrong, powerlifting is great and so is olympic lifting. I respect whatever you choose. But in terms of athletic performance, I think it would be pretty difficult to argue against olympic lifts.

    I also want to say that progress from training (in most aspects of fitness) is much faster than progress from practising sport. Sport is a test of your training.
    /agree

  14. #13
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Olympic lifts are more difficult to learn because ... they are more difficult. Most people don't want to be challenged, so they look for something easier. Sure, you can argue that you overload your muscles more by deadlifting/squatting/military instead of a clean & jerk, but separately they don't produce the same results. Why? Triple flexation, amonst other things.
    I never argued for cutting olympic lifts out of your routine. Everyone should be doing some kind of olympic lifting. For most people, however, it isn't necissary to learn or perform full olympic lifts. The same if not better results can be attained by deadlifting/squatting/military or push presses/power or hang cleans/snatches.

    If you want an example of why olympic lifts are better for athletic performance, take a world class olympic lifter and a world class powerlifter in the same weight class. Have each athlete perform C&J, Snatch, Squat, Bench, Deadlift ... who do you think comes out with a higher total? I could be wrong, but my guess is the olympic athlete would win 90-100% of the time. Why? Because the oly lifts make your entire body stronger. Powerlifts focus on 3 movements at the expense of everything else.
    You don't think powerlifts make your entire body stronger? Both deadlifts and squats utilize virtually every major and minor muscle group in your body. The bench press utilizes your entire upperbody and depending on your form your lower body too(powerlifters frequently injure posterior chain muscles benching in meets).

    What if you take that world class powerlifter and train him on power/hang cleans and practicing full cleans/snatches for 6-12 months? His total will ANNIHILATE the olympic athlete's.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  15. #14
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    For most people, however, it isn't necissary to learn or perform full olympic lifts. The same if not better results can be attained by deadlifting/squatting/military or push presses/power or hang cleans/snatches.
    I guess it depends on your definition of "better results." If we are talking hypertrophy, sure. If we are talking athletic performance, I disagree.

    You don't think powerlifts make your entire body stronger?
    Yes, but not to the same degree as olympic lifts. When I said "at the expense of everything else" that was in reference to an article by Dave Tate who claimed the same thing. Not just strength in unfamiliar movements, but everything. Flexibility, conditioning, etc.

    What if you take that world class powerlifter and train him on power/hang cleans and practicing full cleans/snatches for 6-12 months? His total will ANNIHILATE the olympic athlete's.
    Unequipped? I doubt it. The olympic lifter would already have comparable squats/deads, so the only thing that might be lacking is bench press. I think learning to bench would be a lot easier than learning the snatch. Just my opinion, and there's no point in arguing it ... it was a hypothetical situation from the start. Unless either of us start comparing olympic totals with powerlifting totals, it's pointless. And I'm way to lazy to do that.
    Last edited by Anthony; 01-18-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  16. #15
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    What if you take that world class powerlifter and train him on power/hang cleans and practicing full cleans/snatches for 6-12 months? His total will ANNIHILATE the olympic athlete's.
    Sorry, doesn't work that way... That is pretty funny that you think a power lifter with a little training would annihilate a Olympic Lifter... Maybe a state record Olympic Lifter, but certainly nothing on the National level, and laughable on the world level.

    America is not the place to judge Oly Lifting, because, quite frankly, we suck at it due to low membership. The other nations destroy us over and over. But that isn't really the point.

    A Olympic Lifter is more versatile and thus, a better athlete. They may not be the absolutely strongest people in regards to Dead Lifts, or Squats, but they are close, and they have speed and agility.

  17. #16
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I guess it depends on your definition of "better results." If we are talking hypertrophy, sure. If we are talking athletic performance, I disagree.
    Definately not talking about hypertrophy here. How would learning and performing the full olympic lifts be superior to what I suggested for anything?

    Yes, but not to the same degree as olympic lifts. When I said "at the expense of everything else" that was in reference to an article by Dave Tate who claimed the same thing. Not just strength in unfamiliar movements, but everything. Flexibility, conditioning, etc.
    Full olympic lifts require flexibility more than they develop it. I agree it takes more overall athleticism, fitness, and strength to perform heavy olympic lifts, but that doesn't mean those powerlifters aren't ridiculously strong. That strength can in time with practice be transformed into huge olympic lifts, it would just take time and practice.

    Unequipped? I doubt it. The olympic lifter would already have comparable squats/deads, so the only thing that might be lacking is bench press.
    They would have comparable high bar olympic squats, but in terms of who can move the most weight in a squat a world class powerlifter would be dominant. Same goes for deadlifts... the olympic lifter has great pulling strength, true, but heavy squats and deadlifts are the GOAL of powerlifting. Olympic lifters rarely perform bench presses, there would be a huge difference in strength there like you pointed out.

    I think learning to bench would be a lot easier than learning the snatch. Just my opinion, and there's no point in arguing it ... it was a hypothetical situation from the start. Unless either of us start comparing olympic totals with powerlifting totals, it's pointless. And I'm way to lazy to do that.
    You're right, learning to bench would be alot easier than learning the snatch. The difference is, the powerlifter can already pull huge weights off the floor which will make his snatch(once he's learned it) pretty damn huge. The oly lifter has minimal pressing strength(although obviously enough to support big weights overhead), especially horizontal pressing, and it would take him much longer to develop comparable strength in a bench press.

    Look at strongman competitors... these are the biggest and strongest guys obviously trying to get the most out of their training in the gym. What do you thing they are going to spend their time in the weight room doing, full squat snatches? Clean and jerks? More than likely, they'll be doing deadlifts, rows, squats, overhead pressing, bench pressing. If they train olympic lifts in the gym at all, I'd bet they'd be doing power or hang cleans. Actually, if you watch strongman competitions their form on events where you have to clean an implement is pretty terrible, almost no squat to catch the bar as well. Yet they still move the weight because they have the strength to powerclean it. Just going off on a tangent there, but you get the idea.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  18. #17
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Definately not talking about hypertrophy here. How would learning and performing the full olympic lifts be superior to what I suggested for anything?
    Because there's no triple extension during squats/deads/military/bench. Olympic lifts teach the body how to explode.

    Here's an exerpt from an article:

    "These lifts train athletes to effectively activate more muscle fibers more rapidly than through any other modality of
    training. The explosiveness that results from this training is of vital necessity to every sport.

    Practicing the Olympic lifts teaches one to apply force to muscle groups in proper sequence, i.e., from the center of the body to its extremities (core to extremity). Learning this vital technical lesson benefits all athletes who need to impart force to another person or object as is commonly required in nearly all sports.

    In addition to learning to impart explosive forces, the clean and jerk and snatch condition the body to receive such
    forces from another moving body both safely and effectively.

    Numerous studies have demonstrated the Olympic lifts unique capacity to develop strength, muscle, power, speed,
    coordination, vertical leap, muscular endurance, bone strength, and the physical capacity to withstand stress. It is also worth mentioning that the Olympic lifts are the only lifts shown to increase maximum oxygen uptake, the most important marker for cardiovascular fitness."

    I agree it takes more overall athleticism, fitness, and strength to perform heavy olympic lifts, but that doesn't mean those powerlifters aren't ridiculously strong. That strength can in time with practice be transformed into huge olympic lifts, it would just take time and practice.
    I agree. Anything can be done with enough time and practise. That's not the point. Take 10 athletes from different sports and have them compete in all sports. The best athlete will score consistently high in all sports. That's why I used an example of weightlifters and powerlifters ... take them as they are NOW and compare. Who is the better athlete? Don't get me wrong, powerlifters are strong as HELL, but strength isn't the only aspect of athleticism.

    They would have comparable high bar olympic squats, but in terms of who can move the most weight in a squat a world class powerlifter would be dominant.
    Take away the equipment, go to IPF depth, and it would be pretty similar. There are plenty of videos of olympic lifters doing heavy back squats, with a full walkout, for reps, no equipment, and making it look easy. Would they be as strong as a powerlifter in this lift? Probably not, but it will be close.

    Same goes for deadlifts... the olympic lifter has great pulling strength, true, but heavy squats and deadlifts are the GOAL of powerlifting.
    Again, I'm not saying the olympic lifter would be better at powerlifting than a powerlifter. I'm saying if you had both guys compete in each others sport, the olympic lifter would do better in powerlifting than the powerlifter would do in olympic lifting. Make sense?

    You're right, learning to bench would be alot easier than learning the snatch. The difference is, the powerlifter can already pull huge weights off the floor which will make his snatch(once he's learned it) pretty damn huge. The oly lifter has minimal pressing strength(although obviously enough to support big weights overhead), especially horizontal pressing, and it would take him much longer to develop comparable strength in a bench press.
    I disagree completely. Training to develop a comparable snatch would take a lot longer than a comparable bench.

    Look at strongman competitors... these are the biggest and strongest guys obviously trying to get the most out of their training in the gym.
    Most of them train in their specific events. Which is an awesome way to train because it's so varied.
    Last edited by Anthony; 01-18-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  19. #18
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    I have a great respect for Strongman competitions, in fact just as much as I do with Olympic Lifters. It is power lifting that I am not sold on. It isn't as if I think power lifters are not worthy, I do think they are worthy. But, I don't agree with the sport itself. I believe in training full range of motion whenever possible. Power Lifting believes in partial range of motion, one lift that really isn't that important for strength (Bench Press). For instance, I would have more respect if there were no suits, wraps, belts and then in addition to that, replaced the Bench Press with Military Press. The flat bench press is relatively useless for most sports and every day life. Everyone who preachs the bench press to me has yet to give me a reason what it is so important of a lift, or rather, more important than a Military Press.

    Just my opinions.

  20. #19
    Mint
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,112
    I have the 2001 Ironmind video "Creating Champions" - it shows the training of Szymon Kolecki and Georgi Asanidze - both men back squat 500+ pounds for doubles and tripples atf completely raw.

    Asanidze does a tripple with 140 kg on the bench press (308 pounds) while Kolecki does a double with 180 (396). These are of course unequiped lifts.

    Check out the attached photo of Klokov benching and Chigisev spotting - both members of the Russian National Weightlifting team.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

    prepare yourself, because it's a big training

    Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

    Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

  21. #20
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Geez, the discussion has really gone all over the place...

    I never meant this to be a discussion of who was stronger OLers or PLers... This is a meaningless debate - generally, a good PLer is going to mop up the floor with an OLer who decides to enter a PL meet and vice-versa. The reason an OLer has a better chance of doing well in PL is that they squat ALL the time. Strength is a skill. If you don't think so, look at the progression of weights being used for Atlas stones or farmer walk implements in strongman competitions.

    I was initiating a discussion of whether the classic OLs or the "power" versions were more suited for athletes of different sports.

    Things to think about:

    *Assuming a person can both the power and classic versions with proper form, the power versions are generally easier on the CNS and power cleans are harder on the joints.

    *Yes, the olympic lifts are harder to learn, but there mistakes common to athletes using the power versions. How many times have you actually seen a power clean or snatch done correctly? Do they heave the weight up using their upper back? Do the catch the bar w. backward lean? Do the elbows droop when racking the weight? To be honest, the only people I see doing them well are people who can do the classic lifts.

    *A deadlift + high pull/power clean + overhead/front squat does not equal a classic clean or snatch... They are NOT the same thing.

    *Bar speed is greater and the bar is lifted higher in the power versions because the WEIGHT IS LESS.

    From "The Weightlifting Encyclopedia":
    2. The practice of proper technique in the Olympic lifts teaches an athlete to apply force with his or her muscle groups in the proper sequences (i.e. from the center of the body to its extremities). This is a valuable technical lesson which can be of benefit to any athlete who needs to impart force to another person or object (a necessity in virtually every sport).
    3. In mastering the Olympic lifts, the athlete learns how to accelerate objects under varying degrees of resistance. This is because the body experiences differing degrees of perceived resistance as it attempts to move a bar with maximum speed through a full range of motion. These kinds of changes in resistance are much more likely to resemble those encountered in athletic events...
    4. The athlete learns to receive force from another moving body effectively and becomes conditioned to accept such forces.
    5. The athlete learns to move effectively from an eccentric contraction to a concentric one (through the stretch-shortening cycle, the cycle that is activated and trained through exercises that are often referred to as plyometrics).
    6. The actual movements performed while executing the Olympic lifts are among the most common and fundamental in sports... (pp. 513-514)
    I never meant to say that the power versions are bad - it just bothers me a bit when I hear people say that they are somehow "better".
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  22. #21
    Unremarkable Questor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    881
    Bump to the front, this is a good thread.

  23. #22
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Geez, the discussion has really gone all over the place...

    I never meant this to be a discussion of who was stronger OLers or PLers... This is a meaningless debate

    Things to think about:


    I agree. The whole OL vs. PL debate is a non sequitur.

    As for the original topic, I would argue that the high pull is superior to both the power and full versions for athletic performance.

    >> *Assuming a person can both the power and classic versions with proper form, the power versions are generally easier on the CNS and power cleans are harder on the joints.

    The high pull doesn't require a catch, so it is easier on the joints, and is at least equally as easy (not harder) on the CNS as either version.

    >> *Yes, the olympic lifts are harder to learn, but there mistakes common to athletes using the power versions. How many times have you actually seen a power clean or snatch done correctly? Do they heave the weight up using their upper back? Do the catch the bar w. backward lean? Do the elbows droop when racking the weight? To be honest, the only people I see doing them well are people who can do the classic lifts.

    I would think anyone that could teach the full clean could teach a proper high pull (or power clean).

    >> *A deadlift + high pull/power clean + overhead/front squat does not equal a classic clean or snatch... They are NOT the same thing.

    You're right. It takes much more practice to master the full lifts. Is this necessary for athletes not competing in these lifts, or could the time be better spent on other training?

    >> *Bar speed is greater and the bar is lifted higher in the power versions because the WEIGHT IS LESS.

    Yup. And the high pull can be used with as little weight as a power version up to (and beyond) the full lift. The best of both worlds!

    I never meant to say that the power versions are bad - it just bothers me a bit when I hear people say that they are somehow "better".
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think any olympic lift is bad.

    Thanks.

  24. #23
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Since the hang clean vs. power clean thread was closed, I thought it might not be a bad thing to bump this one (it was generally a civil disagreement here).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  25. #24
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
    As for the original topic, I would argue that the high pull is superior to both the power and full versions for athletic performance.
    The high pull doesn't require a catch, so it is easier on the joints, and is at least equally as easy (not harder) on the CNS as either version.
    I hear what you're saying, but getting rid of the catch entirely is removing a huge part of reason you do cleans in the first place. As far as elbow and wrist stress goes, I'm not sure that high pulls are so gentle on the joints.

    I would think anyone that could teach the full clean could teach a proper high pull (or power clean).
    ??? I think you missed my point there. The point was that I rarely see power versions performed correctly and that most people that learn the full lifts have no problem performing the power versions well.

    You're right. It takes much more practice to master the full lifts. Is this necessary for athletes not competing in these lifts, or could the time be better spent on other training?
    Well, again, I understand the argument and it's hard to argue that in the long run teaching/learning the full versions will have, ultimately, more athletic benefit, but that's what I believe.

    Yup. And the high pull can be used with as little weight as a power version up to (and beyond) the full lift. The best of both worlds!
    I agree that high pulls are a great exercise.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  26. #25
    Senior Member Sleepy Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    388
    I am truly stumped why people are saying don't train the lift cause you don't know it. What better way to learn then by your mistakes. A trainer will only help lessen the curve.

    From my experences hang cleans vs full cleans is like partial squats and bellow parallel squats. You will see benefit from both but in different ways.

    It took me four times as long to learn full cleans and I often made an ass of myself but I learned it and love it.

    And you guys write too much lol. Maybe I am off topic

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •