The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Noah's Journal

I competed, for the first time, yesterday, in the Pittsburgh Monster Bench and Deadlift. I weighed in at 180lbs and competed in the raw division. It went pretty well. I benched 240, a 15lb PR, and deadlifted 415, a 30lb PR. Here are some videos:

Video

Video

It looks like I had about 20lbs left in me after that deadlift, but I didn't because I tried 435, and didn't get it. I did get it to about 4 inches below my knees though.

My girlfriend, Jes, also competed for the first time. She was in the 114lb raw division. She benched 125, which wasn't a PR, but her previous 125 was not paused. She attempted 135, but didn't get it. She deadlifted 285, a 20lb PR, and attempted 300. Here are those videos:

Video

Video
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Congratulations

Nice work guys!

Noah, it did look like you had quite a bit more in you on the Deadlift!
    I suspect it has to do with the type of training you did in preparation for this.
    Sets of 5 don't transfer will to a 1 rep max.

Thanks for representing the gym, you guys looked very strong and professional!

Thanks Ryan. I think you're right about those sets of 5. I'll probably start a new routine in a few weeks that uses some lower rep work.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

I set a new squat PR today - 380.

Also, did 3 sets of 12 for BW GHR.

previous max?

I meant to ask you wed. what your previous was?
    Nice raw squatting!!

It was 315.

DE Bench:
    125 x 8 x 3

Close Grip Bench:
    175 x 1 x 5

DB Shoulder Press:
    55s x 2 x 5

Pull-Ups:
    BW x 8, 4, 4

Here's a video of me squatting 365.

Video

Ryan, if you see this, is there anything wrong with the squat form that you can see now, upon a second viewing?

looks good

Noah, that looks just as good as it did in person.

Nice set up, starting position, decent, depth, driving through a sticking point, and lock out and all done RAW.

I wish you would of took a video of your 385, it actually looked just like 365 if not easier.

Thanks alot Ryan.

Squats:
    148 x 5
    185 x 5
    222 x 5
    260 x 5
    297 x 5

Bench:
    95 x 5
    119 x 5
    143 x 5
    166 x 5
    190 x 5

Rows:
    67 x 5
    84 x 5
    101 x 5
    118 x 5
    134 x 5

Sit ups:
    BW x 12, 12, 12, 12

Hypers:
    BW x 15, 15

I'm currently using Bill Starr's 5x5. I'm planning on using it until the progress stops, some weeks from now. After that I'm going to move on to something with lower rep and speed work, unless the 5x5 is really effective. In which case, I will run it again, and then move on to the other workout. I'm not going to post my workouts because I think most people are familiar with the routine, and I'm adhering to it pretty closely.